• 3 Post By sturbridge
  • 1 Post By meekasmom
  • 2 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By Hawaii
  • 2 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By sturbridge

Thread: I have Portable Culture!

I have Portable Culture!

I just scored a used Buzz on ebay last week- and it has the Portable Culture label! How old does that make this bag?

This one smells a bit funky, like its been in someone's attic or garage for a bit too long. And its really dirty/dusty. Since I'm a second owner, and am not worrying about the warranty, into the washing machine it goes. I may cut out the laptop protection insert to yield more room-- not planning on carrying a computer around but wanted to have something for outings with a secure closure and this will do until (maybe even after) that cross body knitting bag is released. I used my shop bag last weekend, and since I was also carrying hubby's stuff it was overloaded, and something fell out which I didn't discover until we got home. I'm hoping a zippered bag will prevent this from happening again.
    tpnl, nsh and Ilkyway like this.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian, SE in black/iberian, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. On the way: coyote/steel Side Effect. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag.

Try a fine washables soap. I use "EUCALAN" --- amazon.com has it. Lightly swish in suds and soak for 5-10 min. Rinse (it won't be too soapy but rinse it anyway) and hang to dry --- open all the pockets as wide as you can while drying.

link: Amazon.com - Eucalan No Rinse Delicate Wash - Natural Unscented 16.9 OZ - Eucalan Wool Wash

Buzz is cordura, right? This process worked on dyneema. Don't know about cordura, but should be ok. test color fastness on inside first.
    tpnl likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    I just scored a used Buzz on ebay last week- and it has the Portable Culture label! How old does that make this bag?

This one smells a bit funky, like its been in someone's attic or garage for a bit too long. And its really dirty/dusty. Since I'm a second owner, and am not worrying about the warranty, into the washing machine it goes. I may cut out the laptop protection insert to yield more room-- not planning on carrying a computer around but wanted to have something for outings with a secure closure and this will do until (maybe even after) that cross body knitting bag is released. I used my shop bag last weekend, and since I was also carrying hubby's stuff it was overloaded, and something fell out which I didn't discover until we got home. I'm hoping a zippered bag will prevent this from happening again.
    Congratukations, @sturbridge. That was the Black Buzz on eBay last week that you got? Since the Buzz was retired in early 2013, and the last model was sold in mid-March 2013, I think all of these bags were manufactured before the end of 2012, and in any case predate the transition from the "Portable Culture" label to ones using "Made in U.S.A." that went into effect for bags made starting in early 2013. In other words, you probably can't tell the age of the bag from the information you gave. I will say that for the past year and a half prior to its retirement, it appeared you could only get the Buzz in either all Black or Black and Steel, so your color combination (of Black) can't be used to set an earlier production date. Here's the link to the Last chance to order The Buzz.. thread.

The big advantage of the Buzz is that the sling design lets you easily access the bag, which is why @nsh wanted to find one of these to use as a diaper bag for her new baby. (See: Buzz Diaper Bag )

HTH moriond
    tpnl and nsh like this.

I bought a WF new this year from TB and it had the portable culture tag.

Awesome score - after my recent experience with ebay, a bit of dirt is nothing!

(I have a Portable Culture SCB, thanks to ceepee's destashing )
    nsh and Ilkyway like this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

You may want to hand-wash it or use the hand-wash setting on your machine. I know Cordura is tough, and I am pretty sure colour-fast as well, but a rough cycle may distort the shape of the bag... The smell will probably go away after a wash, but it sure doesn't hurt to dry it in a place where air circulation is good!

Thanks for the link to the diaper bag thread. I don't have/will ever have kids, so I never would have gone looking for such a thing, but I liked those Planet Wise wet/dry pouches for travel. They look like they would be ideal for holding used utensils (I carry a personal picnic kit at all time, because...well...you never know...) or a washcloth to wash up after a hike.
    nsh likes this.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian, SE in black/iberian, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. On the way: coyote/steel Side Effect. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0