Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Request: All-fabric DOPs

Request: All-fabric DOPs

This may be a stretch, but I'm wondering if TB will consider making DOPs with a fabric front? IMO this would be especially useful for the large DOPs, because people may carry confidential documents but want them organised within a single pouch.

More generally, I'm sure there are folks apart from myself who aren't especially fond of urethane. First, it's sticky. I'm aware that there are strategies to get around this (e.g. flipping the pouch such that the urethane faces inwards), and do use these tricks, but it does restrict how I can pack my stuff. Second, I've noticed that the urethane on my size 2 KTP has developed some pits after 2 months of heavy use as a pen case. (I'm not gentle with my stuff-- I should not need to be with TB products-- but I'm no abuser.) I think a fabric front may be more durable and more convenient in some situations.

Yes yes yes!

what is a DOP? really noob here.
    Currently Owning: Synapse19[Black Codura/Wasabi] - Accessories

Double Organiser Pouch, i.e. with two zips across the top
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    This may be a stretch, but I'm wondering if TB will consider making DOPs with a fabric front? IMO this would be especially useful for the large DOPs, because people may carry confidential documents but want them organised within a single pouch.

More generally, I'm sure there are folks apart from myself who aren't especially fond of urethane. First, it's sticky. I'm aware that there are strategies to get around this (e.g. flipping the pouch such that the urethane faces inwards), and do use these tricks, but it does restrict how I can pack my stuff. Second, I've noticed that the urethane on my size 2 KTP has developed some pits after 2 months of heavy use as a pen case. (I'm not gentle with my stuff-- I should not need to be with TB products-- but I'm no abuser.) I think a fabric front may be more durable and more convenient in some situations.
    Yes oh my goodness yes! In lots of colors too!!! It would be great as a currency/coin pouch...
    never skate faster than your guardian angel can fly....black and gold til I'm dead and cold....

Quote Originally Posted by eightspokedb View Post
    Yes oh my goodness yes! In lots of colors too!!! It would be great as a currency/coin pouch...
    Oh yes, when can I place my order?
    Janine likes this.

I'd like to see these in all Dyneema!

Quote Originally Posted by eightspokedb View Post
    Agreed.

As a side note, I just used my medium OP as a passport wallet (clipped inside my SCB, of course-- so convenient!). I wanted very badly to use my medium DOP for travel, but the clear front made me very nervous. I don't like it when people can see either my passport or wads of cash :\

Quote Originally Posted by Fever39 View Post
    what is a DOP? really noob here.

Handy link to acronyms used in Tom Bihn Bag Forum.

Acronyms Guide

Just an FYI - Hannah from the Crew wrote back saying that the DOP are not yet made in all-Dyneema. I wonder if it's because all the layers need some additional heft for reinforcement of the stitching. I don't know, though.

As a side note, I just used my medium OP as a passport wallet (clipped inside my SCB, of course-- so convenient!). I wanted very badly to use my medium DOP for travel, but the clear front made me very nervous. I don't like it when people can see either my passport or wads of cash :\
    I use a large clear OP for my travel documents (plane/hotel/car rental confirmations, maps/directions, copies of passports/visas), and I usually have a file folder in there as well to help with the organization. Using that, I keep all of the really sensitive stuff, like backup cash, in the back behind the file folder (and likely in pre-portioned envelopes). Up front I leave quick reference things that aren't so sensitive, like directions or contact information.

I have not ordered a DOP since the large OP is still great, but I think the same organizational ethos would hold true. Important stuff in the back, less sensitive stuff in the clear front.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Nuts About OPs

I've had some papers crushed in my all dyneema OP and have to be more careful what I carry in there because it's so flexible (the cordura has been a great option when I need extra protection), but I would totally love an all-fabric Double OP in parapack.

You know, when I think about all the great OP options, it reminds me of this

~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Totally agree. My dyneema large OP is so floppy compared to my parapack version. The dyneema takes a little effort when placing it in a bag. I am really starting to like parapack material a lot more. I would buy one these in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    I have not ordered a DOP since the large OP is still great, but I think the same organizational ethos would hold true. Important stuff in the back, less sensitive stuff in the clear front.
    Doesn't work for me, because I'm ridiculously anal about having the "right" things in the "right" place. It makes me twitch putting only my boarding pass print-out in front and cash + passport behind. To my mind, the passport and boarding pass should be together and cash kept separately. (Yes, my suffering in this regard is entirely self-inflicted...!)
    Last edited by adalangdon; 08-12-2014 at 12:25 AM.

Doesn't work for me, because I'm ridiculously anal about having the "right" things in the "right" place. It makes me twitch putting only my boarding pass print-out in front and cash + passport behind. To my mind, the passport and boarding pass should be together and cash kept separately. (Yes, my suffering in this regard is entirely self-inflicted...!)
    The passport will not be visible to anyone, if you place it in an RFID PP
    RFID Blocking Passport Pouch - Passport holder that blocks RFID signals - TOM BIHN

The PP fits in the Medium Pouch, you can make it as steathy (Steel) or as loud (Wasabi) as you want. It hides your passport from every one but you.

When I went on my big trip, I organized my things inside a CQPC, they were all housed inside color coded all fabric Pouches.

I could do a quick inventory of all the Pouches, just before leaving hotel rooms. I could also place everything needed at the airport, back to one side of the Pouch, when I was settled in my plane seat or, in the arrival terminal or, in the car.
    The same can be done on train, bus or boat rides.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0