Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: SOLD OUT!

SOLD OUT!

Amazing how fast some of the items are selling out.
    A30 in dyneema has disappeared.
    Shop Bags- only Wasabi large is still available
    3D fabric OC - no dyneema
    WF - no luggage sleeve version

I know, isn't it amazing? I had been dithering last weekend about ordering a Dyneema 3DOC, and while I did that, the UV version sold out! That prompted me to order the Wasabi version on Tuesday—along with a Black Dyneema Daylight and some other accessories–and you've just made me very glad that I didn't wait a moment longer.

Volunteer Moderator
    @Hawaii The luggage sleeve version of the Western Flyer hasn't been around for a long time… I was wondering if they were ever going to release a version in Nordic that I could try out, but the only thing that happened is that Nordic (and 400d Steel) quickly disappeared from the available options even with backpack straps. The A30s have been selling very well, I gather ("like hotcakes" was the description I heard the TB staff use). They apparently have a good stock of the DLBP in black Dyneema (or claimed to, on Wednesday), but like Nancy I went ahead and ordered anyway. I'm just glad I ordered most of my 3DOCs (Dyneema and otherwise) several months ago.

@moriond-
    actually earlier in the year I was waiting for dyneema WF with luggage sleeve, finally just went with the aubergine one, which was one of the last ones! Glad I did.

Volunteer Moderator
    @Hawaii I already had a Ballistic Nylon Western Flyer before they ever introduced Aubergine, the rolling luggage sleeve option, or 400d Dyneema. So the main interest in this option would have been for the lighter weight (plus 2 back pockets and no backpack straps), especially with an all-Dyneema version, rather than the ability to use this bag with a roller board. I guess that's a disadvantage of being an early adopter. I only got the Nordic/Steel Dyneema WF with backpack straps in a bag swap of an Imago with @Moosezilla, after this Dyneema option had vanished. My Aeronauts come from the original (first) production batch for this bag, so more of the A30 design feature changes are new to me. Similarly for my Indigo Tri-Star (first production batch, and. In regular use since then). So I'm just learning about how to optimally pack the A30.

FYI, there are usually a larger range of color options in bags for the Holiday season, but they also tend to sell out quickly. (I try to start looking at these around mid-October for order placement).

HTH moriond
    Hawaii and eWalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    Amazing how fast some of the items are selling out.

A30 in dyneema has disappeared.

Shop Bags- only Wasabi large is still available

3D fabric OC - no dyneema

WF - no luggage sleeve version

Also, Smart Alec totally ran out.

I wonder when Smart Alec would be back again. Will the return normally bring awesome color?

UPDATE:
    Just read moriond's hint. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    FYI, there are usually a larger range of color options in bags for the Holiday season, but they also tend to sell out quickly. (I try to start looking at these around mid-October for order placement).

HTH moriond
    Last edited by weirdguy; 08-02-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    Solar: A45 Navy, CP Steeld, SA Black, TT, YSS/Tall, OP/S, PP Navy
    Steel: Pilot Steel 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    Olive: SC, DOP/M, COP/M

BC V S1, H M2, PCSB Nordic, TT Iberian, Risretto Cocoa/Cayenne

Buy List Wouldn't mind : Solar Like New
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

HTH moriond
    @moriond, Is there some secret to knowing what colors are in the pipeline for future releases? I've seen people post about getting such-and-such color that I didn't even know existed so I'm wondering if there's some trick I don't know about. Any tips for knowing about upcoming colors/color combinations would be great! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    @moriond, Is there some secret to knowing what colors are in the pipeline for future releases? I've seen people post about getting such-and-such color that I didn't even know existed so I'm wondering if there's some trick I don't know about. Any tips for knowing about upcoming colors/color combinations would be great! Thanks.
    Even veterans of this forum, do not know what will come next.

We speculate a lot, given the fabrics available now, what color combo might come up and in what bag?

Many time, the Crew would surprise us with a new color pairing, an existing design in a one of a kind/short run bag.

The key is to stay on the forum as much as possible.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    @Holly, I think there are a few different instances where you may be seeing color combinations that you didn't know existed. I'm going to assume you don't mean cases where people have found out about new color combinations by updating the browser product pages, or by reading posts on the forums where other users have noticed that new colors are available and posted about this. I'm also going to assume you're not talking about entire new product releases, where a few people who may have Blog sites that do specific product reviews of these kinds of bags (like @Frank II's One Bag One World web site) get advance sample products (usually in only one color, like black) of new items.

Forum members don't have secret knowledge about new colors in the pipeline. If there was a poll about color preferences, such as was held for the Pilot before its release, they might know the results of the poll, but they won't know how these will be implemented.

Sometimes, the color combinations people get are from earlier production batches that sold out. If one of these bags gets returned, or if they locate an older version in their Store showroom, it can seem to be a new color combination, because it's no longer listed on the web site. That simply means that if a bag or two in a certain color comes back in the 60-day return period, they don't realist it on the web site, but you might find it is available if you call or specifically inquire about a particular color because you've been following the earlier color availability. This can be hit or miss, depending on whether there is a returned bag, and whether your enquiry comes when that bag is available. Sometimes a forum member who visits the Store in person will see these and report back that ther was a PCSB in Nordic, or some other particular bags.

The other case where there can be colors you didn't know existed could be in products with colors "as available" like the Double Organizer Pouches or other pouches.In those cases, knowing about existing fabrics and colors that have been used for bags in the past, and asking for,them by name can yield results. Again, it can be hit or miss.

HTH. @backpack is correct that reading the forums for information can help

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Also, Smart Alec totally ran out.

I wonder when Smart Alec would be back again. Will the return normally bring awesome color?
    I think give them a month or two? I think the last time the SA came back, they had it in Black, Steel, Aubergine. Not sure about Navy or Black Dyneema. As for lining colours, it's a crap-shoot, especially for Black ballistic. They've made Black ballistic SAs with Solar (damn, missed that one!!), Wasabi, Steel, Iberian linings. The last run had Steel linings for Black and Steel ballistic and Wasabi for Aubergine, but who knows what the future holds. No Solar is all we can say for (semi-)sure...

I hope the next run has Forest with UV lining. That would be seriously awesome.

Re colour combos, just wanted to add a short coda to @moriond's excellent exposition. If a new colour comes out or an old one is resurrected, the number of SQUEEEEEEEE!!!s on this forum may give a good indication of what will be available next in the colour. Folks here went gaga over French Blue and Burnt Orange and predictably, they are now options in the S19, S25, cafe bags, and the BB. My semi-educated guess is that other factors also affect the spread of one colour across offerings, including a colour's "unisex" appeal and the "safeness" of a colour on a particular model. E.g. I can imagine Azalea on the Swift and LS, but not on a Synapse. Similarly, while Kelly is a really nice bright deep green, I am betting that it won't make it to the backpacks as it's not a very "safe" colour. Neither do I expect that it will be around for very long. JM2C though!
    Last edited by adalangdon; 08-03-2014 at 03:59 AM.

Hi @moriond, @backpack, and @adalangdon--

All great input; thanks! All the info you shared (refresh pages often, stay on the forums, some colors being available due to returns, etc.), I am aware of and do (actually, I'm a bit obsessed about checking the site everyday--more than once--it's definitely an obsession ).

The bottom line is that you said no one knows ahead of time (apart from testers perhaps, who are excellent secret keepers...@Taminca, I'm thinking of you with the Q-kit!).

Now I know that there isn't something I'm missing. I'd be fine not knowing right away but since I missed the price increase email (was traveling at the time), I want to be sure not to miss any other big announcements/news. I'll keep checking the forums for any new info!

It seems like, for now, only Black color Key Strap is available. No other color.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    It seems like, for now, only Black color Key Strap is available. No other color.
    Alamak D:

And now all the dyneema options for the MCB are gone, too... oh boy @_@

@adalangdon, I got a feeling that we wouldn't need to wait that long to see the Dyneema option coming back. Perhaps like 2-3 days. But I still hope I am wrong.
    Sent from •41Lumia via TPTalk

They have mentioned before that key straps aren't simply made using fabric remnants, so I'm guessing its a matter of awaiting fabrics to be allocated for key straps. Or maybe they can't make up their minds what colors to choose, so many options! (Storm! Pleeeeeeaaaaase!!!)
    Or maybe French Blue? Burnt Orange? Have they ever been available in Steel? (I really want matching keystraps for my bags)
    Come to think of it, would key straps made from Parapack work?
    I really hope new colors are available when colored key straps are back in stock! ^.^

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0