Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree442Likes

Thread: Introduce yourself (and welcome new folks)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Introduce yourself (and welcome new folks)

Badger and jess suggested we start a sticky thread in which new members could introduce themselves and we existing members could welcome them. Brilliant idea!

To get the thread off to a good start... could everyone here introduce themselves, regardless of how long you've been part of the forums?

ETA: We will be moving this Sticky thread to the Just for Registered Members forum. I'll leave this notice up for a few days, so it isn't a surprise when you find this thread relocated to that forum. (moriond)
    Last edited by moriond; 07-28-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Add note that thread will be moving to forum for members
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I am Ilkyway, I am a bag-addict... ah no, that is not what this is about.

Start over: I am a Mom of three daughters, I love fairness, quality, colors and choices and have found all this in Tom Bihn Bags. BUT on top of this I found a really great Forum, where sensible people share great ideas, lots of photos and good advice about live the universe and everything... no wrong again but only just... about bags, travel, lifestyle and than some.

Ilkyway

Great idea! My name is Jeff and I live in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I joined the forums in 2013 when I purchased my first TB bag, a beautiful Black/Wasabi Synapse 25 in the spring. Since then I've added a few bags and accessories (see signature). I mostly use my TB gear to haul my electronics to & from work, plus weekend getaways and camping. I'm going to Cozumel, Mexico next March so a TB travel bag is definitely on my list!!

I'm a UI/UX designer and web developer for a large company, plus I do freelance work on the side. I played lead guitar in a popular rock cover band in my area for 7 years & I retired from that scene 2 years ago. These days I spend my free time with my girlfriend and our collective 6 kids, ranging from two 18 year-olds to two twin 11 year-old boys, haha! Yes, we're busy

I love the TB forums, been a pleasure getting to know many of you and looking forward to acquiring more TB gear in the near future

Our family plus my son's friend in the way back, haha!

Name:  family.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  219.4 KB
    Last edited by Jeff A; 07-23-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

I lurked in the forum for a few months while researching the best carryon bag for me. This after a nightmare flight that was delayed for 4 hours, ending up in a night spent at Midway and a bag that was delayed 8 hours getting to us at our final destination. (Imagine finally getting to clean up but having no toothpaste, shampoo, or clothes to change into when you were done.) Not to mention that our daughter and family had moved from a 1 day to a 3 day drive away, resulting in lots more flying and wanting to avoid baggage fees. What I found here was a bunch of NICE, FRIENDLY people, and I did what I have never done before, joined up.

I retired 5 years ago from a job in IT where I did it all (if by "all" one means the kind of things we did on mainframes), migrating to servers, and ending up as an SAP Basis Administrator. I used to go to several conferences a year, and BOY do I wish I'd had Tom Bihn bags! I have a husband who is reluctant to retire (even though I tell him "We can travel!"), and two grown daughters, one of whom is married and has two daughters of her own (5 and 1 1/2). I keep busy maintaining our church website.

Even though I worked with IBM/Dell/Windows, I am Mac/iPad/iPhone all the way, and bought my first Apple II in 1978!

I live in Kansas (meaning a TB order made Monday morning gets here Friday afternoon), my initials are T.M., seemed like "Auntie Em" was kind of a no brainer.

I'm Sturbridge (real name: Chris) and I joined a few months ago after purchasing a Little Swift. I'm a container-holic, both bags as well as various and sundry food containers, bento boxes, picnic accessories and the like (I really like food). I also like to collect gadgets for just in case (knives, flashlights, crushable wine glasses etc), always have emergency stuff on my person as well as my vehicle (emergency being things like bobby pins, safety pins, bandaids, earplugs and emergency spices for underseasoned food ).

I have all 3 flavors of 3D cubes, 2 flavors of double organizer pouches and a bunch of other pouches, and a small shopping bag. I'm still waiting for this cross body knitting bag. While I do knit at home, I really want the bag just for my every day carry. Not everyone carries a laptop everywhere with them, and I'm waiting for a bag with a secure closure for all the stuff I carry around. I may wind up getting a Synapse for this though if the bag doesn't come through this year.

I live in New England which means my Tom Bihn purchases take EIGHT excruciating long days to arrive here.
    Last edited by sturbridge; 07-23-2014 at 03:52 PM.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian, SE in black/iberian, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. On the way: coyote/steel Side Effect. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag.

I'm atarango, a college professor in Texas.
    I am also a knitter, and initially I was turned onto Tom Bihn bags by Knitty's collaboration with them and bought a swift for myself as a present when I finished my PhD.
    Now I travel a lot-- not as much as a business traveller, but more than the average American-- I make on average 6-9 plane trips a year plus road trips for research, conferences, public lectures and to visit my family that lives on the West Coast and my friends that live on the east coast.
    Now that I am officially middle class and no longer a broke graduate student I have been investing in quality bags, which is what brought me back to Tom Bihn. I also love the forums and have learned a ton about traveling light here.
    I live with my sweet old dog who was once all black but now has funny little white eyebrows and my demon cat who runs us both. And lots of yarn. And books.

Hi I'm Moose. I live in Maine. I'm just about as far from the mothership as one can be and still be in the US. My bouts with TBAS are long, very, very, long. I want to be a kintter but crochet is all I can manage. One string, one stick I can manage. Two, four, more sticks and lots of strings are just too much for me. I don't travel a lot but when I do I want to be comfortable and not lug scads of bags weighing tons. Thus my interest in Tom Bihn bags.

About seven years ago I lost my 3.5 pound Yorkie (Moose) after 14 years together. A couple of days later our local vet called and asked if I'd foster four, four week old kittens. Well, what the heck, sure bring them on. six weeks later I'd found homes for all of them (with family of co-workers or a friend of a friend) except one. She was the most beautiful and absolutley evil (or as atarango1 said, demon) cat of the bunch. I'm still serving her. In December 2012 I found Oliver from a rescue in Maine. We've been through lots of boot camp training and he's much better behaved than when he came home with me. We have more work to do, it's a process. He's a great little dog. About 10 pounds, a yorkie/maltese cross, so they say.

I love bags of every type, size and design. I have waaay too many. I was proud of myself last weekend when I trashed (actually recycled) a garbage bag full of paper shopping bags. No worries, I still have at least that many more. Financially I'm somewhat "thrifty" so I don't buy a lot of "stuff" but what I do buy is quality. That also helps explains my interest in Tom Bihn.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Washu here - real name Angela or Ang - and I am a research administrator in Houston, TX. I was first introduced to Tom Bihn bags (and Fluevogs) by fellow knitters while attending a knitting camp in Washington state several years ago. As soon as I got home I ordered a Swift and that, as they say, was that. I have been adding to my TB collection slowly as time has gone by, but this year's acquisition of a Co-Pilot and A30 will finally have me "traveling in style"!

I'm DubbySmurf (Josh). I'm a college student in Minnesota. My addiction started this spring when I was looking into buying more American made products. I have to say, I love forums. This one especially is so helpful and the members are so nice that it feels like a family. Currently, I am waiting on a Brain Bag and Snake Charmer, but being a broke college student, that's about all I coins swing. I'm trying to turn my family to the dark side so that I don't feel alone in my family haha

I don't buy replaceable products. Everything I buy I expect to last a few years, so this purchase wasn't hard on me. I own a Duluth Pack ruck that has served me well through numerous trips and here's to hoping for many more with the BB!

Hello, there!

I'm monkeylady (Marilyn) and have been a forum member for a little more than a year. My husband and I have been committed carryon travellers for 11 years after airline foof (another story). I am a retired child and family therapist and live near Seattle. Although I live barely 14-15 miles from the store, travelling there can take 1 1/2 to 2 hours roundtrip, traffic dependent. So I most frequently opt for UPS delivery as it is nearly always next-day.

Mr. Monkeylady is retiring in 3 weeks from the whacky world of IT! Whooo hooo! More travel! For many years, our travel has been tropical only to escape the dark, wet dreariness of NW winters. Visiting various cities is OK, but viewing and being in NATURE is the best! I love most members of the plant and animal kingdoms (the one exception being some humans) and I am particularly enamored of monkeys and primates, hence my moniker.

I am mostly insanely compulsive about travel gear of all kinds and managing minimal travel wardrobes. Mr. Monkeylady thinks my obsessions are quite amusing, but he greatly benefits from them.

When I came upon this forum, I thought I had died and gone to heaven! These are my people and most of them are as unabashedly obsessive about travel gear as I am.

Welcome!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I'm Rachel and I live in Redmond, WA (close enough to the Mothership that I can get my fix in person when needed!) I learned about TB when I worked at Apple in the early to mid-2000's (more than 10 years ago now, wow!) and started with a Brain Cell for my 12 inch PowerBook and shortly thereafter, a Plum Medium Cafe Bag. I can't remember when I was re-introduced to TB, but it sometime shortly after I moved out to Seattle in 2007 and started a job where I fly around 100,000 miles a year. The Clear 3D Organizer Cube for my TSA liquids was one of my first purchases since my "relapse" (I'm pretty religious about not checking luggage) and now I have a Tri-Star (Steel,) Aeronaut 45 (Aubergine,) Pilot (Black,) Side Effect (Black,) Synapse 25 (Steel Dyneema/UV,) and various pouches and cubes. I'm also a knitter and recently added a Little Swift (Aubergine) to my collection.

When my husband and I got married last fall, I got him a wasabi set of cubes and pouches to match my plum travel set, so now we are all color coded for quick packing. (Obsessive and dorky, yes, but I can't tell you how much easier this has made packing for one or both of us.) I'm working on convincing my husband of TB's awesomeness. He's generally on board, he's an engineer with a great appreciation for well designed and made things, but I'm still working on it. He may need to make a visit to the shop with me to fully appreciate it. His laptop backpack is falling apart and he may need a Brain Bag for Christmas...

Hiya, I'm ineffable. I suppose by definition I should stop there..

..but we can all bend the rules when necessary. I live in North TX and work in the corporate office of one of the best retailers on the planet. I'm a complete nerd and have finally decided to embrace it. I'm pretty obsessive when it comes to researching and fine-tuning any of my various hobbies: bags and EDC, cooking for my wife and 2 wee children (girl 3, boy 1), carpentry, PC gaming and the occasional round of golf.

I've been a TB owner (and subsequent forum creeper) for almost a year, but just setup an account this month. Really enjoy the community here and look forward to growing with all of you.
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

Introduce yourself (and welcome new folks)

Hi, I'm kkintea -- a phonetic mashup of my two rescue dogs, Kuiken and Tedu. My first Bihn was the Small Steel Shop Bag circa 2009, and my favorite Bihn is the Steel Little Swift. I am a professor and carry a Steel/Cork Imago to campus daily. If you haven't guessed by now, I am a steel aficionado. I also carry a torch for the much-loved but ill-fated nordic. I have a sizable collection including the A45, TS, WF, Pilot, Co-Pilot, BB, Swift, Little Swift, Imago, PCSB, PCBP, CQPC, I-O, Q-Kit, Citizen Canine, Caches, Brain Cells... 3D cubes, packing cubes, key straps, stuff sacks and pouches a plenty... and the pinnacle of all addiction, 4 organizer wallets, 5 side effects, 5 travel trays, and 6 shop bags. My latest order en route is the NFTD -- in steel of course!

Edit: Recount. I actually have 7 shop bags and a MCB I left off of the list.... :-)
    Last edited by kkintea; 07-24-2014 at 07:37 AM.
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

Hi! Been based in Singapore for nearly as long as I can remember, though I spent 4 years in the US for college (the Northeast) and a year in England. I'm an escapee from graduate school in the humanities (I quit after my MA) and am currently finishing my final year of law school. I expect that I'll be practising as a commercial litigator after completing my pupillage and being called to the bar. Law combines the fun parts of humanities graduate work (lots of writing and reading) with nit-picking, a healthy dose of aggression and long hours, so I'm a very happy camper.

My first TB bag was a Olive pp/UV SE, after which I got hooked on everything else, especially the cafe bags, pouches, and the SA. The courts have a dress code, so I have a black Swift -- and a LS sometime, I hope-- set aside for that and client meetings. As for the office, everyone's too busy to care. This means I don't have to shelve my Plum, Kelly, etc. bags on weekdays. Hooray! Outside law, which has a way of sucking up everyone's life, I have 2 cats whose health I am always fussing over. I can be found pottering around my apartment tidying things up, decluttering, and thinking of new ways to stay neat.

Like many others, I love the forum and am grateful for the civility and thoughtful discussion that goes on here. Believe it or not, it's also my main source of interaction with people outside the legal industry/academia. Thanks for existing, forum! And I can't believe there was once a time when my EDC was devoid of POUCHES.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-23-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Hi! I'm al85 and I lurked for a long time, but after reading all the posts from these awesome people, I decided to participate. My first Bihn bag was a stee/cayenne Medium Cafe Bag that I still use everyday. I've since supplemented (read: fed my obsession) my MCB with a variety of travelbags in black/solar. I've been hooked ever since I received my MCB.

Thank you for existing, other Bihnions.
    I have an obsession with solar, just in case no one has picked up on that yet. If it's in solar, I want it. XD

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0