Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree407Likes

Thread: Introduce yourself (and welcome new folks)

Hi! I'm jess, real name--Jess I live on Long Island, NY which is not so much an island as a very crowded suburb of New York City. My job has a proper name but I prefer "cookie butter dealer." If you know what that is, you'll understand. I've always been a bag collector and got my first TB bag, a Synapse 25, last year after the company was recommended to by a friend. Since I joined the forum a few months ago I've gone from one TB bag to 6 and a growning number of accessories. Sometimes I get the feeling that Mr. Jess wants to say something about my ever growing collections of bags, books, and kitchen equipment but then remembers we have two rooms in our home dedicated to his Star Wars and comic collections and stops, lol! When not feeding my TBAS you're most likely to find me either cooking/eating or reading--or both at the same time. I'm a huge foodie with a particular love of Chinese and Japanese food and all things chocolate. I'm also a bookworm in the best possible way and run a Facebook book club that's fairly popular. My favorite thing about TB bags is that my Kindle fits in my Aubergine Side Effect <3

Thank you to all the forum vets for making this such a welcoming place!

Hiya! I'm haraya. Geek (married to another geek), would-be wordslinger, knitter with a short attention span (SQUIRREL!!), mom to a girlkid+boykid+furkid, lover of languages, slightly paranoid traveler thru the universe/life. If I recall correctly, I came to Tom Bihn seeking a project bag that would keep my yarn dry if I happened to get caught out in the rain. Countless yarn stuff sacks, shop bags, backpacks, and key straps later, I know I've found a tribe of kindred spirits!! I love that this is a group of people who value durability, sustainability, and simple, elegant, smart design.

Thanks to the Bihnions I've also learned about mini flashlights, noise-canceling headphones, Web Dominators (still figuring those out), low-profile clipboards, and dried bull pizzles (actually, I have not yet seen those in person, nor has my dog. Maybe that's a good thing?). My pocketbook does not thank you. But I look forward to more time spent here, plotting paracord-tying, watermelon-toting, zombie-apocalypse-EDC-refining, and spouse-confounding activities!!
    Last edited by haraya; 07-23-2014 at 09:07 PM.

I initially read about Tom Bihn bags when I was researching every day carry bags a couple of years ago, but I was skeptical and foolishly dismissed them, as they looked so small and streamlined, I did not imagine they could possibly hold very much. How little I knew!

Fast forward to early this year when I was researching bags made in the USA, and I ran across TB again, but this time I noticed they were based in SEATTLE. Woo hoo! I decided I needed to go see these bags in person. I was originally considering a MCB, but when I saw a sleek Synapse 19 with its perfectly centered water bottle pocket, and I posed with it in front of the mirror as it hugged my back, it spoke to me…

I did not buy anything that first day, and over the next few days I felt irritated every time my water bottle slid around or fell over in my other brand backpack…and I thought about the S19. I kept trying to distract myself by rotating my things through other bags, but I kept thinking about that S19...with its perfectly compartmentalized pockets. I finally couldn’t take it any more, so I placed my first order with a few accessories.

I have since visited the store more times than I will admit, feeding my bag need/obsession periodically, and when Matthew says he will see me soon as I leave, I no longer deny it. We both know better.

When I am not working to support my TB habit, I try to counteract the effects of too much office and computer time by exploring the great outdoors in the Northwest. Since moving to Seattle a few years ago, I have become hooked on hiking and backpacking, and that combined with running helps me balance out my food obsession. I also serve two cats, though one of them seems to think she is a dog as she follows me around and “helps me” with everything, particularly if photos are involved.

This forum has been an unexpected and wonderful surprise as I have interacted with so many kind, enthusiastic, creative, literate, and amazing people. It has been a really welcome outlet for expression, and I am very grateful that such a place with such great members exists.

Thank you.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-23-2014 at 11:35 PM.

Hello, I'm Anna.

Reformed librarian (read: unable to find work in the industry due to so many 'elders' refusing to retire). Knitter savant.

No children. No spouse/significant other (the older I get, the less sure I am that I even want that). No pets. Student loan debt up to my ears. Aunt to a nearly 1 year old boy who keeps me in stitches. Born & raised in Seattle. Youngest of 3.

I own like 4 Swifts, 1 hemp, 2 cork (big and little swifts). They are what started the slippery slope into the Tom Bihn world for me 2+ years ago after noticing the Yarn Harlot's handbag attire at Madrona (fiber arts conference).
    Bags I Want: Dyneema A30

Current Bags: Black Dyneema/Wasabi CP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi NFTD w/2 packing cubes, Hemp Swift, Cork Swift, Cork LS, LSB, SSB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi LCB, Black Dyneema/Solar SCB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi SE, Size 1 Stuff Sack, TT, Plenty of YSS, Q-Kit, bunches of pouches

I am Rocks (not my real name, but my last name is an animal that rhymes with it) and I work at a well renowned regional theater in Minneapolis and give tours at well renowned contemporary arts museum. They used to be next door to each other, which is how I got connected to both. While theater pays the bills (a rare thing to say!), museums are my true love.
    I bike year round.
    My first TB bag was a conifer Synapse 19. I got it almost two years ago, and love it.
    I made a thread about how much I hate wasabi. Now I love it. huh.

Request - can this Sticky be moved to the Just for Registered Members area?

GoStanford here - I first learned about TB a couple of years ago when I was looking for alternatives to my laptop case from Waterfield, and rediscovered the company around March of this year. I'm in the SF Bay Area, home of companies (though not necessarily manufacturing) like Timbuk2, Chrome, and Rickshaw Bags. I seem to be gravitating to Dyneema exteriors, though I also like Cordura and occasionally Ballistic. I also like used bookstores, farmer's markets, coffee, and tea. I don't knit or sew and admire crafty types very much. I enjoy reading about how TB fans use their bags for travel and conferences, and I dream of there being an Orange Dyneema someday!

Hi Everyone. I've been anonymously lurking the threads for several months and just joined up last week. While I've been a TB fan for a very long time, I just placed my first order yesterday (A30 in Aubergine!! Hoping to get it for my mid-August trip to the UK). I am a CA girl living in WI. I started here in the 90s for grad school, swore to never return to the land of extreme temperatures after moving back to CA, but the love of my life brought me back and I came to fall in love with the place too. Working at my alma mater is icing on the cake. I claim to be a shoe and bag collector, but the honey insists I'm an addict. I will own my obsession with organization and travel preparation. I still salivate when I think about my first set of packing cubes. My sister and I can talk about travel bags and purses for hours. This forum feels like home. When I'm not researching bags or shoes, I love to cook, go to bootcamp, golf, read, eat, walks on the beach, travel, and time with my family. I'm also a little obsessed with my dog, Gracie. She is the sweetest little Shih Tzu on the planet.

Hi,

ceepee, from the UK; currently the Portsmouth area but very soon (i.e. tomorrow!) moving to Oxfordshire Recently retired from the Royal Navy, hence the move.

My first bag was a Ristretto for my iPad, since then ..... well, lets just say it makes me wince when I go to my order history page

Hobbies ..... I've had a few, but I suppose de-cluttering and downsizing might be considered my hobby right now since it's taking up an awful lot of my time

Hi, I am Kerstin from Auckland New Zealand. Tom Bihn started for me when I needed a knitting bag and didnt like the ones that were available over here. So I googled Knitting bags and that introduced me to Tom Bihn. A Swift and many many other TB bags and accessories later I am not only addicted to the TB bags, but also to this friendly forum, which feels like family.
    This forum introduced me to many awesome things in life......like Icebreaker, Moleskines, Klean Kanteens, great shoes..and like ceepee project 33 which started me on decluttering my home/life and like laughing out loud reading some funny and witty posts here while having my morning coffee.
    Decluttering and downsizing is liberating...but the opposite is true for TB bags....you can never have too many.
    I am so glad I found this company...they are truly one in a million!

Hi. I live in northern California. Retired a couple of years ago, and DH and I have been doing more traveling. Always looking for new better travel products. First I discovered packing cubes . Then about 1 year ago I discovered Tom Bihn mentioned on some travel blogs. My first buy was 2 travel trays. then came clear OPs, key straps. Next was shop bags. Then a nordic copilot. Then a WF and some packing cubes for it... Recently a daylight, and still waiting for the a30...

Love the TB quality and this community. Like all the dyneema colors EXCEPT solar. LOVE NORDIC!!!
    Blue is my fav color, but can't like the navy/ solar combo even if I did go to Cal!

Was hoping to get a WF with luggage strap < cant give up my roller suitcase) in Nordic, but got one of the last aubergine WFs instead. It is beautiful, and worked well during our last trip to europe.

A big HELLO to my fellow Bihnions- My name is Nate and I am an R&D/Design Engineer for a large, global manufacturer of flow control products (i.e. pumps, valves, and seals). I'm currently living in the Lehigh Valley, PA which affords me the great flexibility of choosing between 2 hour car trips to the beach, hopping on the bus for a short ride into NYC, or exploring/hiking/biking in my own neck of the woods. When not thinking about pumps, I like to spend my time disc golfing, cooking, drawing/painting, and travelling. I definitely drink too much coffee and almost certainly don't get enough sleep...

I have always been a sucker for extremely well-made AND well-designed travel gear and/or containers of all sorts, including bags. Typically the packing and planning aspect of the trip is nearly as much fun for me as the trip itself, so I felt right at home in the TB culture! I found TB within the past year when researching a more versatile suitcase to replace my ol' rollie. Hence my first TB purchase was an A45 in Navy/Wasabi and I haven't looked back since...my collection now includes various pouches/cubes/trays, the S25, Super Ego, and MCB. They will have a new friend soon as I'll be a quarter century old this upcoming month and can't wait to see which color Pilot my gf got me!

This forum is a truly unique and inspiring place; thank you to all the members and moderators who keep it that way.

TB 4 Life

Hi, I'm Missy and having lurked here for awhile, finally dove in and joined the forum. My first TB was a medium Cafe Bag, purchased 3 years ago. Now I seem to have full TBAS and have added quite a few TB items to my collection. (Ristretto, another MCB in nordic, WF with packing cubes and PCSB in steel dyneema, S19 in steel dyneema, Swift in aubergine, Little Swift in black dyneema, 2 SE, various pouches, shop bags, travel trays, and my new NFTD. Oh my i didn't realize how bad the addiction was!) I'm a 2nd grade teacher in West Virginia, and love reading, hiking, hanging with my dogs, cat, and family. I'm especially loving watching my 3 month old grand daughter this summer while school's out. I've really enjoyed reading the forum. I've learned a lot and got some pretty good laughs. The hardest thing for me is the wait for my TB bags to arrive from across the country. It usually takes at least 7 days.

Hi, I'm Jen. I live in Winnipeg, right smack in the middle (east-west middle, anyway) of Canada. I have three kids, all girls, ages 6, 4 and 10 months; the 6-year-old has started throwing around the phrase "everyday carry," which amuses me to no end.

I knit a lot, which is how I found TB. My first bag was a crimson/black Swift from 2008. I ordered a couple of extra yarn stuff sacks over the years but didn't find the forums until a couple of years ago when I was looking for a cross-body bag (that would be the cocoa/wasabi LCB), and later a carry-on bag (that would be a navy/wasabi Aeronaut). I have also added an Ego and a navy Parapack/solar S19, as well as a navy ballistic/solar SE. And there are a few PCSBs, Aeronaut packing cubes, yarn stuff sacks and I-don't-know-how-many keystraps and org pouches/cubes. Oi, that's a lot of stuff when I write it all out!

Hi folks!

Let me introduce myself: my name is Poker Face, I have become a big fan of Tom Bihn bag, especially those in (Nordic) Dyneema.
    First there was Miss Piggy and Kermit, now there is Poker Face and her trailer of Tom Bihn bags!!!

Poker Face is thirty-something, she lives in Western Europe, in the country where the best waffles, chocolates and french fries can be found! It's not so far from Ilkyway's country in fact.

Poker Face discovered the Tom Bihn products early this year, and has been lurking the forum since then. The people here seemed very nice, so she decided to become a member too.

Poker Face travels a lot, for business (she's an engineer/auditor) and for pleasure (last destination: Japan). Poker Face likes to travel!!
    Poker Face has been searching her dream carry-on bag for years: she bought backpacks, duffels, rolling duffles, small suitcases... and always ended up unsatisfied with the products: they were either too small, either too heavy, the straps were cutting in her shoulders...
    Early 2014, tired of hauling her wheeled heavy bag through the JFK airport, she had an epiphany while surfing the web: she found the Tom Bihn website and ordered the Aeronaut (A45), and voilą!
    A couple of months later, Poker Face had a second epiphany when she received her Absolute shoulder strap and a travel tray (in Nordic, of course). She likes her Nordic stuff so much that when there was a fire in her bostonian hotel last month, she ran out of her room with her travel tray and her nordic Aeronaut

The other hobby of Poker Face is photography.
    And eating: Poker Face likes to eat, but is (unfortunately) a very bad cook
    Hehehe, nobody's perfect...

Well, I think that's all I can say for the moment.

I wish all forum members a very nice day/evening (depending where you are)!
    And I send a big hello to the whole Tom Bihn crew in Seattle!

Cheers,

Poker Face
    Big fan of Nordic dyneema (aeronaut, PCSB, PCBP, TT, LSB, SSB, SE, SCB, MCB, co-pilot, synapse 19). OK, so where am I going to put all that stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by Poker Face View Post
    when there was a fire in her bostonian hotel last month, she ran out of her room with her travel tray and her nordic Aeronaut
    Wait a minute - I need to hear more about this - I try to read the safety instructions/map for the hotel room, but I would like to know what you recommend based on your experience and how frantic was it?!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0