Some Super Ego Questions

I'm on the prowl for a laptop bag and chanced upon recommendations and read through tons of reviews (almost all glowing by the way) regarding the super ego laptop bag.

I have a few questions regarding the bag before I plunk down my cash for one. How 'big' does it look? I am of rather smaller stature (around 5'6") and am afraid that lugging the super ego around would look like a bag carrying a man instead of the other way around. Does it still look like it would swallow me whole if I have only a few items in it? I did read somewhere in the forums about a smaller version of this Super Ego, the Ego was it? Any idea when it's coming out?

If I were to get the Brain Cell for the new 15" MacBook Pros, is there still enough room in the main compartment for a full complement of gym gear (shoes, clothes, some toiletries and towel)? Oh and would the MacBook Pro still fit into the Brain Cell if i attached this Speck seethru hardshell case to it?

http://www.speckproducts.com/for-macbook.html

Another one regarding the buckle, though the seat belt buckle looks totally rad and retro, are there any plans to sell other sort of buckles further on? I love the para-glide and airplane buckles that the waterfield designs bags use and was hoping that this may be an option in the future.

http://www.sfbags.com/products/cargo/cargo.htm

And is this bag carry-on luggage safe?

Thanks for your time.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Hi nutello! Welcome to the TB forums.

Quote Originally Posted by nuttello View Post
    How 'big' does it look? I am of rather smaller stature (around 5'6") and am afraid that lugging the super ego around would look like a bag carrying a man instead of the other way around.
    It's definitely a big bag. I'm 5'5" with a small frame and the Super Ego looks huge on me.

I think if you like to use a big bag, and you feel comfortable using a big bag, it will look fine on you. I've seen people my size walk out of our retail store wearing their brand-new Super Ego, and it looked great on them because they felt confident wearing it, and also because they did have a ton of stuff to carry.

If you're like me and you feel much more comfortable using a smaller bag, I wouldn't recommend the Super Ego for you. I would recommend the Ego. See next answer --

I did read somewhere in the forums about a smaller version of this Super Ego, the Ego was it? Any idea when it's coming out?
    Tom has finished the design of the Ego. It will be available for pre-order on the Web site within the next two or three weeks, and will ship around early March.

It's a really, really cool looking bag. I love it. I'm definitely getting one. It's the perfect size for me to carry my 15" Powerbook inside my Size 4 Brain Cell, plus a couple of books, my water bottle, keys, checkbook, wallet, magazine/newspaper, etc.

If I were to get the Brain Cell for the new 15" MacBook Pros, is there still enough room in the main compartment for a full complement of gym gear (shoes, clothes, some toiletries and towel)?
    You should have room for all of that in either the Ego or the Super Ego, though with the Ego, you'd have to maximize your organization and space-efficiency of your stuff inside the bag.

Oh and would the MacBook Pro still fit into the Brain Cell if i attached this Speck seethru hardshell case to it?
    I think it would. The Speck case looks very thin. I will email the folks at Speck and ask them how thick the case is.

Another one regarding the buckle, though the seat belt buckle looks totally rad and retro, are there any plans to sell other sort of buckles further on? I love the para-glide and airplane buckles that the waterfield designs bags use and was hoping that this may be an option in the future.
    Those particular kinds of buckles aren't compatible with the Super Ego. We use a wider version of webbing on the Super Ego that ends up making those buckles too small to use.

We are constantly looking at samples of various cool buckles, zippers, materials, fabric colors, and webbing to use on our bags, and I'm sure you'll see other cool buckles in the future, but I couldn't tell you when exactly.

And is this bag carry-on luggage safe?
    Yes.

Thanks for your time.
    You're welcome!
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0