Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Not to mention the fact that the Super Ego is way too big IMHO opinion for someone that needs to only carry about 10lbs. The Super Ego itself will eat up almost 3 of those pounds empty. Not to mention the fact that a big bag has a very bad tendency to lead to a heavy bag. Why not try one Tom Bihn smaller offerings ? The redesigned ID sounds just your ticket with the absolute strap ?

Cobos

Edit: Woohoo 100 posts
    If you are not part of the solution you are part of the precipitate!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy3b View Post
    I happen to have RA and can no longer wear a backpack style bag nor carry items in my hands for long periods. So, I have decided to try a messenger style bag. Specifically I will be getting a Super Ego as well as a Horizontal Brain Cell.
    What kind of laptop do you have? And how much do you need to carry?

Cobos is right: the Super Ego is a really big bag, and it weights 2lbs, 10oz by itself with nothing in it. Unless you need to carry a huge 17" PC laptop, I'd recommend a smaller bag.

Have you considered the ID messenger bag?

Also: Tom has completed the design of the Ego, the smaller version of the Super Ego. Our factory has started production on the Ego, and it will be shipping in late March.

Specs on the Ego are:
    23 liters / 1400 cu.in.
    390mm x 340mm x 160mm
    15.3 x 13.3 x 6.3"
    Weight: 1.2 kg / 2 lbs 10oz

The Ego will have the same 1 1/2" toothed slide that the ID has, allowing you to choose between the Standard Shoulder Strap, the Absolute Shoulder Strap, and the up-and-coming Q-AM (Quick-Adjust Messenger) strap.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Also: Tom has completed the design of the Ego, the smaller version of the Super Ego. Our factory has started production on the Ego, and it will be shipping in late March.
    Hurrah!!!!

Pictures! Pre-order! Buahahaha...

Hi Ya,

Quick question: RA=Rheumatoid arthritis? And maybe Darcy can tell us about the Super Ego strap? (I think it's still the old style one, and you might be better off with an Absolute Strap or maybe the new strap option Tom is developing for messenger bags. But I think only the ID bag has been redesigned so far to enable use of the Absolute Strap, and the Super Ego still uses the older strap)
    Yuo...sorry for the abreviation, habbit. Thanks for the observations about the strap. That really is my primary consideration. Worn over my shoulder opposite the bag should distribute the weight well enough that weight is not an issue.

Typically I will carry a minimum of 15# to a max of maybe 25lbs if I need a couple references with me. I am a big strong guy so weight is not as much an issue un a short walk. Longer walks over say about a mile would demand no more then 15#.

For me the biggest issue is my hands and conserving them as much as possible each day. My knees will be painful no matter what as will my feet. Just walking will see to that...I can manage the pain there as long as I keep on top with the pain meds. I just must get the extercise while I am young enough. The only thing that is bad is the hands. If they are painful I am worthless for work. Soooo, the reason I love the idea of a messenger style bag. Since that will pretty much remove the hands from the equation I only need to watch the shoulders which are joining into the plot against me but are no where near as much an issue.

Darcy:

You are clairvoiant...I carry a 17" laptop. But it only weighs in at just under 10# with extra battery so it's not heavy for me to carry. This is why I ended up at the Super Ego bag. It just works. I have promised not to fill it as I might have my pack and to keep weights under 25lbs. Heck a couple times in my younger days I would carry an 80-100lb pack in the Eastern Sierra's for 40-60 mi. at 10k ft...boy those were the days...hehehehe...and I still had RA then just not fully active as it is now...born with it...)

Like I said I am a big framed guy and that is really not much weight to carry around short distances. For those days where I am just grabbing the laptop and setting off for a couple hours at Starbucks or the park (our town has it's own WIfi service that works OK most days) but then I just wouldlike to grab the HBC and go...max weight about 12lbs I suspect.

So that brings me back to the whole strap thing...PADDING & the ability to adjust it for load balancing are the keys for me...but I can make anything work if it is close.

Thanks for all the considerate and thoughful responses...it looked as if there are great people here and I was right!

Specs on the Ego are:
    23 liters / 1400 cu.in.
    390mm x 340mm x 160mm
    15.3 x 13.3 x 6.3"
    Weight: 1.2 kg / 2 lbs 10oz

The Ego will have the same 1 1/2" toothed slide that the ID has, allowing you to choose between the Standard Shoulder Strap, the Absolute Shoulder Strap, and the up-and-coming Q-AM (Quick-Adjust Messenger) strap.[/QUOTE]

I've got a new MacBook Pro on order (upgrading from a MacBook) and I was wondering/hoping if this new Ego bag will accommodate the brain cell for the 15" MBP? It looks like it should fit...would it have the clips to secure the brain cell?
    Last edited by suden; 01-12-2007 at 10:04 AM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suden View Post
    I've got a new MacBook Pro on order (upgrading from a MacBook) and I was wondering/hoping if this new Ego bag will accommodate the brain cell for the 15" MBP? It looks like it should fit...would it have the clips to secure the brain cell?
    Yes! The Ego will come with removable Annex clips that will secure the following sizes of Brain Cell: 3S, 4, 4X (for your 15" MBP), 5, and 6.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Yes! The Ego will come with removable Annex clips that will secure the following sizes of Brain Cell: 3S, 4, 4X (for your 15" MBP), 5, and 6.
    Yay! Great to know...any hope of a preview pic anytime soon?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0