Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Tom Bihn takes over the world

Volunteer Moderator

Smile Tom Bihn takes over the world

The following links to Twitter pictures here of what appeared to be a Wasabi version of the new Daylight Backpacck started lots of forum speculation about this bag. We should have known: it was just scads of Tom Bihn bags at the 2014 World Domination Summit, or Tom Bihn poised to take over the world.

moriond

That looks cool!
    Were any of the forumers there?
    I'm wondering if that Wasabi DLBP will be a WDS2014 only exclusive!
    I'm also wondering if that Wasabi Cordura was custom ordered 1000d for the event or was 500d used?
    If it was 500d, I wonder if it felt any different to use?
    Ah, questions, questions!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    The following links to Twitter pictures here of what appeared to be a Wasabi version of the new Daylight Backpacck started lots of forum speculation about this bag. We should have known: it was just scads of Tom Bihn bags at the 2014 World Domination Summit, or Tom Bihn poised to take over the world.

moriond
    They don't have the waist strap and look floppier because they are Wasabi Packing Cube Backpacks.

Note that if Tom, Darcy and the Lovely Crew decide to make UV/Steel (I know that UV is 200D Dyneema) but I also know that there was a UV/Steel Dyneema S19.

So if it works for an S19, why not for a Daylight Backpack.

Well... after the Nordic order blast, I put a moratorium on Cordura purchases.

But that picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/2805748...n/photostream/
    got me suspicious.

It was too far away, for me to identify the TB logo, but, the shape of the bag, looked strangely familiar and it was the unmistakable Burnt Orange.

This color prompted me to go to the color analysis website, which, to a chagrin, unknow until now, told me that all the seasons I potentially fit in, are absolutely banning any, and all oranges.

I was lucky to snatch Punch Cafe Bags, a couple of years back, which were watermelon pink. That color was allowed in my wardrobe, I ended up buying a couple of clothing pieces to go with my Cafe Bags.

Luckily, French Blue, Plum and Navy are mainstream colors for me.

Why, oh why, did I gave myself a moratorium on Cordura items?
    Last edited by backpack; 07-12-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    @icebeng I can't answer most of your questions. However, I think these bags are an exclusive TB order that were made up for this event. The organizer of the annual World Domination Summit, Chris Guillebeau, is author of The $100 Startup reviewed in the blog.

@backpack
    were you there? did you have fun?
    why only Cordura specifically??

@moriond
    finding out shall be part of the fun then!
    I actually googled WDS2014 and the World Dog Show came up tops on the search results lol

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    This color prompted me to go to the color analysis website, which, to a chagrin, unknow until now, told me that all the seasons I potentially fit in, are absolutely banning any, and all oranges.
    By that rule I shouldn't own any black TB bags, because I'm an Autumn!

"Allowed colours" mainly refers to the colours you should wear near your face - a backpack isn't anywhere near your face (hopefully!), so as long as it doesn't clash with your clothes, I say go for it!

(I admit I do mostly own Autumn-friendly colours like aubergine and olive, but one can't always get the perfect bag in the perfect colour combo)
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    On their way: DLBP, 3DFOCs, another YSS!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I'm a lurker that attended the event and received the bag you guys are all so curious about. Here is a post I was attempting put up but I can't figure out how to get my pics to post correctly.

"So the coolest thing EVER happened this weekend in Portland, OR. It's called the World Domination Summit, and this year Tom Bihn was there. Both the man himself, and his bags. Apparently Chris Guillebeau (the man behind WDS) and Tom are friends and they collaborated on a bag for all the Summit attendees this year (around 3,000 people including volunteers). Every year (so far) a custom bag has been part of the WDS swag and this year it is a custom Daylight Backpack.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405544753.333477.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  95.1 KB
    According to a quick convo I had with Chris about it, the DLBP was originally created for WDS and then Tom refined it further into what is now being sold. Our WDS bags are bright green cordura (almost exactly the same shade as the bright green dyneema as you can see in my pics) with a custom logo in the normal TB tag location in the upper middle. Ours don't have the drop pockets in the main compartment and that is the main feature I wish it had. It also only has 1 O ring in each pocket and is missing the waist strap attachment points. I packed quite a bit more into my DLPB than what is shown (a notebook, snacks, scarf, etc), but you can see how nice and spacious it is inside. I'm planning to modify mine a bit and add a few more O rings and an interior wide elastic strap to one side to hold my water bottle upright. In this bag the current O ring location in the main compartment is kind of inconvenient because when you have a pouch dangling from it the pouch and strap get in the way of papers/notebooks that you are keeping on the spine side of the bag (which is the most comfortable place for them as they then add a little protection from everything else in the bag.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405544840.549831.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  66.6 KB
    Because of this I plan to add my rings to the other "wall" of the bag so that pouches will dangle on the other side of the compartment. Overall though, I am THRILLED with the bag and so excited that I not only got it in my favorite color, but I got it for free and it came branded with a logo that brings back good memories every time I see it."

If anyone wants to post pics for me I'd be happy to email them to you!
    Last edited by moriond; 07-16-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Please help someone him/her to show us the pictures!

Welcome and THANK you for sharing this information. I was so curious about this and you lifted the curtains. Hope you stay and be part of the fun here.

Ilkyway

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Emi8608 View Post
    If anyone wants to post pics for me I'd be happy to email them to you!
    Welcome to the forums! I've sent you a PM with my email address. If you attach pictures I'll be happy to add them as attachments to your post.

Everyone else, in the meantime here's a link to another tweeted picture of these bags. Also, you can read a forum thread about the World Domination Summit in earlier years.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 07-15-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi Everyone! @Emi8608's post has been updated with pictures, so you can all see the special edition BackPack that Tom designed for the World Domination Summit. Emily, the attachments are under your ownership. For any other moderators who need to do this in future from their devices under the TapaTalk app, and without access to a computer, you can do this by creating a post with the attached images under TapaTalk, and then merging that post to the one by the original poster, who will now own the attachments under their own post.

Emily, thanks for posting these details and satisfying our curiosity.

moriond

HTH

I am 110% convinced I need a wasabi DLBP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Moriond! Here's a link to my flickr page with some more pics for anyone who's interested.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/225558...7645759633923/
    backpack and jess like this.

Sorry did a double-post here... it is late, off to bed now...

That is so cool! Emi8608 I like your wasaby 3D Fabric Organizer Cube! And this Logo (the extra one) looks so great. Thanks again for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I am 110% convinced I need a wasabi DLBP.
    Same for me! PLEASE let this be an option soon.
    kkintea likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0