Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: Pilot

Yeah, that's true too. Beside the cost material, labour is another substantial cost.

Thanks for the explanation, @scribe.

@moriond, I gave more thought about your craze experience for Steel 400d. Are you saying in another way that Steel 400d looks more remarksblr thsn 200d Steel?

I do have 2 Packing Cube in Steel Dyneema color. Of course, the Dyneema footprint is smaller. Shall the footprint is bigger like a whole bag, it would give a different perspective and feeling.
    Sent from •41Lumia via TPTalk

UPDATE:
    I did a imagination of Steel for Pilot in different lighting scenario, by using my 200d Packing Cube Steel.
    I found out that in very good (sunny) lighting condition, Steel become light grey - Marvelous color. While, the lighting getting dimmer into the evening - it becomes darker - to the point that, it may looks like Black. I assume Black Dyneema will be very black, stand-out black - comparing. Just my assumption. Steel will be most likely blend-in black (dark grey), with its white lining.

UPDATE #2:
    Manage to find this Topic Black Dyneema versus Steel Dyneema
    These two colors were being extensively discussed with plenty of photos.
    Black Dyneema vs Steel Dyneema Bags

One question though, do TB ever release a Co-Pilot/Pilot of Steel Dyneema and other color lining like Solar/Wasabi?
    Last edited by weirdguy; 07-25-2014 at 04:17 AM.
    eWalker likes this.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Like New: Solar SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

@Darcy,
    I wish to ask whether a brighter Dyneema Lining with exterior Steel Dyneema could be in the work before September.

For the past days, I had continuously exchange email with TB's Team for bags question, stock availability and color options.
    It is embarrassed for me to email again. Would you be kind to see any possibility of a Steel (Exterior) Dyneema with Wasabi? I understand Solar is the least possible, hence I wouldn't ask.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Yeah, that's true too. Beside the cost material, labour is another substantial cost.

Thanks for the explanation, @scribe.

@moriond, I gave more thought about your craze experience for Steel 400d. Are you saying in another way that Steel 400d looks more remarksblr thsn 200d Steel?

I do have 2 Packing Cube in Steel Dyneema color. Of course, the Dyneema footprint is smaller. Shall the footprint is bigger like a whole bag, it would give a different perspective and feeling.
    Sent from •41Lumia via TPTalk

UPDATE:
    I did a imagination of Steel for Pilot in different lighting scenario, by using my 200d Packing Cube Steel.
    I found out that in very good (sunny) lighting condition, Steel become light grey - Marvelous color. While, the lighting getting dimmer into the evening - it becomes darker - to the point that, it may looks like Black. I assume Black Dyneema will be very black, stand-out black - comparing. Just my assumption. Steel will be most likely blend-in black (dark grey), with its white lining.

UPDATE #2:
    Manage to find this Topic Black Dyneema versus Steel Dyneema
    These two colors were being extensively discussed with plenty of photos.
    Black Dyneema vs Steel Dyneema Bags

One question though, do TB ever release a Co-Pilot/Pilot of Steel Dyneema and other color lining like Solar/Wasabi?
    @weirdguy 400d Dyneema is difficult to extrapolate from 200d Dyneema. The fabric weight feels more cloth-like. it's not heavy or stiff, but the fact that you're feeling the woven texture of the fibers gives it a different sensation. In the packing cubes, the lighter weight if the 200d Dyneema is an advantage. It can also be an advantage in the Shop Bags, because it's easier to fold up the bag and stow it if you take it along while traveling. But the 400d Steel Color is more like a very dark slate gray. The difference in the effect of 400d Black Dyneema and 400d Steel is in the reflective sheen of the 400d Steel fibers. It's a subtle effect, but you'll notice it when you get your 400d Nordic PCSB. In Nordic, the fascinating part is the way the midnight blue color changes under the light with the grid and with the reflective fiber sheen. With the 400d Black and Steel Dyneema, the grid pattern in the more rectangular shape of the Pilot bag seems part of the custom design of the entire bag. (I can imagine someone commissioning a fabric pattern to match the the bag, and coming up with either pattern, particularly the Black, if you want to highlight the pattern against bright colors.) Black Dyneema works particularly well with bright colors (like the Crimson red of my Aeronaut 45). Steel Dyneema in the 400d weight is very dark (in fact, I thought the first few pictures of @mjpinter's Pilot photos might have been Steel 400d). But because 400d Steel has more of a reflective sheen than 400d Black, the grid pattern looks less severe, and it goes a bit better with darker navies, Aubergine, Plum, etc. it's a subtle effect.

They have never made the Pilot in Steel 400d Dyneema with a lining other than 200d Steel. However, the Co-Pilot has been made with 400d Steel/Solar and Wasabi linings. I think this has to do with when these bags were made in the production time line. And what other bags and color combinations came up. Co-Pilots were made long before the Pilot debuted. They have to plan the amount of material for color combinations of many bags, Any new major bag launch, like the Pilot, is going to generate a lot if orders, On top of that, the press of more bag sizing restrictions (at least by US carriers) and the additional prominence of bags like Synapse 25 (e.g. Carryology 2014 award for "Best Carry On"), meant that Dyneema interior colors for those bags, also entered into the available colors production planning. Then, they were also gearing up for summer travel bag purchases, and their new product launches. So available color combinations got complicated.

HTH moriond

@moriond, really thankful for your time and effort to clarify with me.
    I understand a lot more now. Thanks you.

Still, (I know most probably not going to happen this soon), I still hope miracle to happen that TB may add Steel Dyneema/Wasabi within next week. Guess what, Black Dyneema/Wasabi was delisted in the color option.
    I had checked-out a Steel/Steel Pilot but I asked to put on hold for another week, in case.

Thanks @moriond again,
    eWalker likes this.

For the past few days, I'd been searching back old topics and posts because trying to understand the rate of color combo and hopefully, able to understand the pace, introduction of new color. I stumbled across many member's post with great looking photos and also DIY tricks. TB really has great community and after sales support, if you wish to look that way.

Today, I stumbled (Quoted below) this not-sure-whether-still-applicable-currently post regarding the possibility of retiring 400d Steel.
    Can someone verify whether 400d Steel is indeed retiring?

If yes, it is sad to see 400d Steel not coming back to Smart Alec, which I am looking forward to sometimes next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    We've also noticed that the two colors are really similar, so there is a chance we might end up replacing the 400d Steel Dyneema with the new 400d Black Dyneema. Nothing is set in stone yet, but it is something under consideration at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    We've also noticed that the two colors are really similar, so there is a chance we might end up replacing the 400d Steel Dyneema with the new 400d Black Dyneema. Nothing is set in stone yet, but it is something under consideration at this time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    We use two weights of Dyneema/nylon:

200d Dyneema/200d nylon (in colors Steel, Wasabi, Iberian, Ultraviolet, and Solar), mostly used as a lining fabric

400d Dyneema/420d nylon (in colors Steel, Nordic, and now Black), mostly used as an exterior fabric

Of the 200d, the only color that we anticipate potentially retiring the next time around is Solar.
    And of the 400d, as Beau mentioned, we're considering retiring Steel in favor of Black.

So that should be some good news: Steel wouldn't be going away as a 200d Dyneema/nylon fabric, just in the 400d version.

We'd like to offer all colors, of course, but as we introduce new designs (and new fabrics) we're faced with some tough choices about which colors we continue to offer, because it's sadly not possible for us to offer them all. We've kinda decided it makes the most sense (right now) to have four 200d Dyneema/nylon colors and two 400d Dyneema/420d nylon colors.

It's a tough decision to retire a particular color, especially because there's always people for whom it's their favorite (that goes for within the company and on here!). We definitely take everyone's feedback into consideration. Here's one way we look at it: if we don't sometimes retire a beloved and long-offered color to introduce a new one, we won't know if we'll like the new color even better or not. And maybe there's people who've been waiting patiently for us to offer color ____.

Soo... that's where we are. And we hear you, whether you're voting for keeping the Steel 400d or moving to Black 400d.
    Quoted from Topic: Introducing Black 400d DyneemaŽ/nylon, dated October 2013, Page 3,4
    Last edited by weirdguy; 07-27-2014 at 01:56 AM.
    eWalker likes this.

@weirdguy-- yes, steel 400d is being retired for sure
    eWalker likes this.
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

@weirdguy-- yes, steel 400d is being retired for sure
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

Oh.. That's really
    With Steel 400d retired, there will be only 1 Exterior Dyneema choices - Black. Sound very very limited.

I wonder when and what could be the replacement :looking at the sky:
    eWalker likes this.

steel may not be retired for sure: witness this email from a TB crew member:

Steel might make a come-back; it’s definitely possible! It hasn’t been “officially” retired like Nordic.

I have read this thread over and over again. Now I've ordered a Pilot in steel dyneema. I think I'm a steel-person. I don't know yet. This is my first bag from Tom Bihn.

you can't have just one...

One bag to start....but soon, you will see, more will arrive to keep it company. This line is very diverse and there seems to be something for everyone. And if you are in Sweden, the shipping is killer. Add a few smaller things in your pilot, because it will increase its utility and the cost of shipping can be spread over several items. Consider also the clear pouches for organization.

For me, it all started with the humble travel tray.... (high recommended).

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    One bag to start....but soon, you will see, more will arrive to keep it company. This line is very diverse and there seems to be something for everyone.
    I have ordered more accessories than I can fit into the Pilot. (I think) It wont be lonely in Sweden for long. If I like it as much as I think I will, it's going to have a Tri-star or a Western Flyer for company.

Quote Originally Posted by LordBute View Post
    I have read this thread over and over again. Now I've ordered a Pilot in steel dyneema. I think I'm a steel-person. I don't know yet. This is my first bag from Tom Bihn.
    I also have place a Steel Dyneema Pilot. This will be first TB's messenger bag while overall, TB Second Bag. My First dyneema bag. I hope I will not be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    steel may not be retired for sure: witness this email from a TB crew member:

Steel might make a come-back; it’s definitely possible! It hasn’t been “officially” retired like Nordic.
    That's positive. I will put "brake" on all future bag purchase until I saw 400D Steel available.
    eWalker likes this.

I thought so at first -- wait for steel, but what if they don't offer it again and the black is sold out, then what? the newer steel is VERY dark almost black, so that might be why they think it's redundant and are offering more black.

personally I love steel but I have not seen black (yet).
    eWalker likes this.

Black? You mean Dyneema Black?
    Well, I would still wait for a Dyneema Smart Alec - currently, there is no such choice. Only Ballistic Black/Black or Steel Ballistic combo.
    It is alright - I am not in any way hurry.

By the way, @meekasmom, I'd been reading a lot of Co-Pilot Topics and those good Co-Pilot photos.
    Do you own a CP? I'm sure a CP could fit a A4 Paper File, am I right? Now, I am wondering whether I should get a CP. Lol
    eWalker likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0