Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by mjpinter View Post
    Up until now, I had been content with switching to a backpack, but for the past few months have been really missing the messenger style (particularly when riding New England public transportation).
    @mjpinter, are you on the Boston/Cambridge T? I agree that the Pilot is the perfect bag for that. It can get inhumanly crowded, and shoulder bags are so much better than backpacks during rush hour. (I do wear a backpack sometimes, but I find it a lot easier to retrieve my stuff and Get Things Done in the very limited space with the awesomely organized and accessible Pilot. Or Co-Pilot, for that matter, but I almost always use my Pilot these days.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    @mjpinter, are you on the Boston/Cambridge T? I agree that the Pilot is the perfect bag for that. It can get inhumanly crowded, and shoulder bags are so much better than backpacks during rush hour. (I do wear a backpack sometimes, but I find it a lot easier to retrieve my stuff and Get Things Done in the very limited space with the awesomely organized and accessible Pilot. Or Co-Pilot, for that matter, but I almost always use my Pilot these days.
    Indeed, my friend! Primarily the red line for me, and there are certainly better and worse times to be trying to get from point A to point B--never mind trying to actually get an article read, or something like that Although, I do count my self lucky, because the Red is one of the better lines for getting a seat and not getting carsick when I am reading. The Green line is an absolute nightmare for me and I couldn't get something done on there, even if I were the only passenger onboard. I am in awe of you if you are a GTDer on the T regularly!

Right now I am at another institution doing some research, but I desperately miss Cambridge!
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mjpinter View Post
    @mjpinter, is there any Wasabi lining on the main compartment?
    From your photos collection, I saw the front pocket are beautifully cover with Wasabi Lining but couldn't see any on the main compartment.

Hope you could share more.
    Thanks you very much,
    eWalker likes this.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Like New: Solar SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    No judgment here: I love the dinosaur lunchbox!
    I want one, too!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    @mjpinter, is there any Wasabi lining on the main compartment?
    From your photos collection, I saw the front pocket are beautifully cover with Wasabi Lining but couldn't see any on the main compartment.
    Should be. The lining is the same colour throughout. Unlike the Co-Pilot however, the Pilot's main compartment has its organizational pockets on the inner most side of the compartment, whereas on the Co-Pilot they are on the outer side. In your quoted picture, you would never be able to see it from that angle. The rest of the interior I believe is the reverse of the exterior (my CP is in another room, can't check).
    eWalker likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Thanks @itsablur
    I try to look for other photo elsewhere. Also, thanks for the insights of the Main Compartment's Pocket. They are helpful.
    Sent from 41Lumia via TPTalk
    eWalker likes this.

Thanks @itsablur
    I try to look for other photo elsewhere. Also, thanks for the insights of the Main Compartment's Pocket. They are helpful.
    Sent from •41Lumia via TPTalk
    Here you go:
    Attachment 7490Attachment 7491

The ipad mini in cache fits perfectly in one pocket, and I have a mesh 3D organizer cube + a mini organizer pouch in the other pocket. One picture has the macbook cache in the bag, and in the other I pulled out the cache so you can see how much interior space the pockets take up.

@mjpinter,
    Is your new received Pilot a Black Dyneema / Solar?
    If yes, oh my my my... why I miss it again.

By the way, do you guys able to fit a Pilot into A45?

@mjpinter,
    Is your new received Pilot a Black Dyneema / Solar?
    If yes, oh my my my... why I miss it again.

that's Wasabi in the interior, @weirdguy, do you like it?
    I don't know if it makes trying to decide between the different color options easier though.
    eWalker likes this.

Haha. Thanks @icebeng.

It isn't easier.
    I am still undecided.
    Sigh....

I think I most probably decide to go for Dyneema. Just not sure which. I kinda want to try Wasabi. If Return is that easier and less costly, I would like to get two. But that's just a dream
    eWalker likes this.

Didn't see this part earlier.
    Will the Pilot fit inside the Aeronaut?

From your questions and intended uses for the bag, I would agree that Dyneema seems to suit you better.
    Have fun deciding!

@icebeng, I'd decided to go for Black Dyneema/Wasabi.

I wish for a more "surround" or "hugging" and I believe Dyneema allow that very well. Well, one thing that I believe strongly is Ballistic is more resistance to liquid stain/spot. Because my current Solar key strap got a few spot of WD-40, leaked from Lock. Black dyneema should easily conceal those daily accidental mishap than Steel.
    eWalker likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    @icebeng, I'd decided to go for Black Dyneema/Wasabi.

I wish for a more "surround" or "hugging" and I believe Dyneema allow that very well. Well, one thing that I believe strongly is Ballistic is more resistance to liquid stain/spot. Because my current Solar key strap got a few spot of WD-40, leaked from Lock. Black dyneema should easily conceal those daily accidental mishap than Steel.
    @weirdguy This is a difficult decision, I know. I like the Dyneema Pilots, and I think you'll like the Wasabi lining of the Black 400d/Wasabi Pilot. But I also agree with @icebeng that based on the outside bag color alone, the Steel 400d is more impressive. And I say that even after buying (and using) a Black Dyneema/Wasabi Pilot. I originally discounted the Steel version simply because of wanting the contrasting color (Solar or Wasabi) in the interior. But then I did a bag swap of an Imago (discontinued messenger bag) with @Moosezilla for her Nordic Dyneema Western Flyer and Steel 400d Dyneema Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. And I kept staring at both these bags, which are way more impressive in person. (Remember, I already had bags in all three varieties -- a Synapse 25 in Steel Dyneema/Wasabi, a Side Effect in 400d Nordic/Solar,and 400d Black/Wasabi, and a Little Swift in 400d Black/Iberian, plus Swift in 400d Nordic. Well, the sensation of the PCSB in 400d Steel was such that I immediately went back to buy a 400d Steel/Solar Side Effect and a 400d Steel/Steel Pilot (that was one of a few that were available when I called in, although not at the web site). I probably should be posting this in the Steely McSteel Pants thread. @icebeng is correct that you won't go wrong with either of these choices. And you're probably correct that the Black Dyneema's "matte" appearance may hide stains better, but it is the sheen of the Steel that I like, (And there really aren't any more Packing Cube Shoulder Bags or Backpacks available in 400d Steel Dyneema, nor have there been for quite a while.)

I'll upload a couple of poor photos from my iPad of the Pilot inside an Aeronaut 45, in either orientation. I took some of these early on, but they're not very good pictures, They do show the size of the Pilot, though. The best pictures showing the relative textures of the 400d Dyneema Steel, Black, and Nordic are probably the ones @Moosezilla posted near the end of the New Packing Cube Shoulder Bags thread.

Steel 400d/Steel Pilot in Sage Aeronaut 45
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406258112.883428.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  135.4 KB

Black 400d/Wasabi Pilot in Crimson Aeronaut 45
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406258195.235105.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  94.4 KB

HTH. Also, the earlier reference you made to the toughness of Dyneema was actually a reference to Darcy's use of her Synapse 19 in 200d Steel/Solar Dyneema as her regular hiking bag for several years -- 400d Steel Dyneema is even tougher, and I don't expect you'll be carrying your Pilot on wilderness trails, either.

moriond

@Morind,

Really thankful for your time to write such amazing experience of yours. Also, the photos.
    It is amazing that Pilot bag could packed vertically as well in A45.

In short, I had changed my mind again. Lol. This time, to Steel/Steel. Lol.
    You had persuaded me. I could feel your thought and your craze of Steel through your words.
    Just wondering though, shall you receive Steel/Steel and Black Dyneema/Wasabi (or Solar) at the same time. Would you still stick with Steel/Steel and return the another?

By the way, you are in luck to get Steel/Solar Side Effect. The combo color are awesome!
    About Side Effect, I don't really understand the need beside its extra Lining feature while the price tag is more expensive $50. Yet, it is shorter than PCSB.

I believe there is still 400d Steel PCSB in Store, told by TB Crew by email last week.
    I just manage to snap the last Nordic PCSB and your words really scream into my hearts to snap the last Steel 400d PCSB again. This is seriously getting overbudget!
    eWalker likes this.

About Side Effect, I don't really understand the need beside its extra Lining feature while the price tag is more expensive $50. Yet, it is shorter than PCSB.
    Because of the lining, there's more sewing involved in making the Side Effect. Remember that these bags aren't being made in a sweatshop, so labour costs are a bigger factor than materials.

This is also why the A30 is currently more expensive than the A45, despite being smaller.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0