Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 86
Like Tree205Likes

Thread: Pilot

  1. #31
    Nli
    Nli is offline
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    54
    FYI, Bihnion masses: I ordered a Black / Wasabi Pilot last evening and they are already out of stock, per lovely phone call just now received....happily substituted something else but so you know.....
    eWalker likes this.

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    189
    People,

    I am thinking to order Pilot. Once and for all. And, not going to buy or visit TomBihn.com or its forum again
    I am not trying to bad mouth TB or anything like negative. Just that, my heart keep pulling and keep reminding me how great if I have that or this. Argh...

    Back to my Pilot though, I am having a dilemma with the color options, especially Steel Dyneema/Steel just become available.

    First, I really want Solar as my interior. Solar simply a natural brightness, lighted up every compartment for easy glance, snatch and go. Also, Solar is simply "happy". Feel happier looking at it.
    Second, I prefer a Dyneema exterior as I felt Dyneema able to "surround" my waist/shoulder/body shape when in Bike Mode or simply Sling Mode. I do not like the feeling of carrying a rectangular briefcase bag. I felt more secure with my belonging with the "surround" especially when one travel in populated location like Market. The bag will not constantly hitting other people and allow me to sling the bag to the front - my chest.
    Third, I intend to bring Pilot during my off-work hours - leisure or travels or getaway. Not with suite.

    These are my choices and they are not arranged in any particular favourite list order.
    Navy/Solar - I love Solar but the Navy Material is a bit stiff, I believe. Would it allow my "surround"?
    Black Dyneema/Wasabi - I want Dyneema very much - that's one of the main reason I craze about TB. I could live without Solar, to Wasabi as Wasabi still "happy and shinny" enough.
    But the Black. Would the Black too Black?
    Steel Dyneema/Steel? - I love Dyneema very much as explained above. Does Steel Lining meant Steel Dyneema as Lining as well? or Steel 420d Nylon?
    What you guys thought on Exterior - Steel Dyneema versus Black Dyneema?

    PS: The reason I brought forward my 2015 Buy List is because I found the last Nordic 400dyneema Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. I must own that. And, to make the Shipping Fee worth, I had to add quantity by asking friends/families or myself

    Added: I am 5'7" (175cm) and about 145 pound (65kg), 30W. Consider a typical Asian size or small-size, if compare to Westerner. Sorry, if I am wrong.

    Thanks everyone,
    Last edited by weirdguy; 07-22-2014 at 05:50 AM.
    eWalker likes this.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

    Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

  3. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    479
    I don't envy you, can feel your pain in fact.
    Making a decision on colors isn't easy, especially when there are multiple fabrics and colors to choose from.
    Not to mention sometimes people change their minds about a color after they actually receive the bag.
    (It can happen either way, love -> bleah, or bleah -> love.)

    I can't really help you with the Ballistic vs Dyneema question as I don't have any Ballistic bags, I do have Ballistic Nylon Pouches though, can only say they are stiffer and thicker than Dyneema, but not to the point where it's totally inflexible.

    Regarding Steel and Black Dyneema, I don't know if you have read this yet?
    Black Dyneema vs Steel Dyneema Bags

    And as for the lining, the Pilots are all lined with 200d Dyneema, so the Steel/Steel Pilot will have a 200d Steel Dyneema lining.

    1 suggestion I have for you though, if you choose the Steel Dyneema Pilot, consider getting a couple of Pouches or Sacks in Solar, they contrast well with the Steel Dyneema lining and you get a dose of happy Solar that way.

  4. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    189
    Haha.
    Good suggestion @icebeng with Solar Pouches/Sacks. Thanks and will see how later.

    I had read that before but couldn't be better to be re-read for deeper thought. Oh my, Black is not bad as well, from their experiences.

    Anyway, what would you get - if you are getting? Be it first timer or again.

    By the way, do you own a Dyneema Pilot/Co-Pilot? If yes, does it "surround"?
    Sent from 41Lumia via TPTalk
    eWalker likes this.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

    Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    479
    I have the Steel Dyneema/Steel Pilot.
    I'm usually hauling around the company laptop in it though, so I feel the laptop more than the bag lol.
    But loaded up with EDC stuff, yes, it's more pliable.

    Regarding the "surround" you're after, could I remind you the Pilot has tubing at the front to give it structure? So even with the Dyneema one, you're not going to get the, can I say "body hugging" effect that a Cafe Bag gives you. It will more or less stay a flat rectangular shape at the front, even when empty. I can feel my stuff inside through the Dyneema easily though, and as for knocking others, I take public transport with it, super crowded conditions, haven't knocked anyone, and no one has accused me of being an elephant yet.

    Between Black and Steel, especially for Dyneema, I'm declaring up front that I'm strongly in the Steel camp, I can't really give you an unbiased opinion regarding color choice. You will have to make the agonizing choice yourself, sorry! :P

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    82
    If you're looking for levels of surround that those Crumpler or Timbuk2 messengers provide, I think neither the Nylon nor the Dyneema will give you that. I have a Nylon Co-pilot and when it is not filled to brim, it does arch outwards a little and offer some surround on my back. I carry my bags cross-body exclusively so I know the surround you are referring to. I don't have any Dyneema bags, but if the nylon one already offer some surround, I will reckon the Dyneema ones will offer more.

    That said, the surround only applies if you do not fill the bag up fully. For a bag to have that rectangular bag feeling on your back, it very much boils down to what you put it the bag. Imagine a bag with a bunch of books versus a change of clothes, bunch of books will definitely give you that rectangular feeling. Any bag that is filled up will also be of a certain heft to it, so be it Nylon or Dyneema, it will still hit other people. Thus my opinion is that your decision shouldn't be based too much on the surround factor or the rectangular bag factor. The surround factor will only be significant if the main compartment is relatively empty, and the rectangular bag factor pretty much depends on what you put in it.

    If I am choosing between Dyneema and Nylon, I will consider the following though:

    1. Do you like the feeling of toughness? The moment you touch the Nylon, you know it's built to last. I do not have any Dyneema bags but I'm sure they are tough too. But I dare say the Nylon is definitely more abrasion-resistant than the Dyneema. Not sure about the slash-resistance properties but it feels as though a pickpocket will not be able to slash Ballistic Nylon in one go.

    2. Styling: Nylon comes in solid colours while the Dyneema has the cool grid design. For me, this constitutes 50%-70% of my decision making process. Both have stark differences so one may appeal to you more. Dyneema definitely looks edgier and is more suitable for leisure like you mentioned. But if you are ultra-conservative, the grid design might put you off.


    I got my Nylon CP primarily because the Dyneema one wasn't available when I ordered
    If I could, I would have gotten a Black Dyneema one.
    The upside of my Black CP is that it has the solar interior!

    Hope this helps!
    Last edited by aquaris85; 07-22-2014 at 09:13 AM.

  7. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    I have the Steel Dyneema/Steel Pilot.
    I'm usually hauling around the company laptop in it though, so I feel the laptop more than the bag lol.
    But loaded up with EDC stuff, yes, it's more pliable.

    Regarding the "surround" you're after, could I remind you the Pilot has tubing at the front to give it structure? So even with the Dyneema one, you're not going to get the, can I say "body hugging" effect that a Cafe Bag gives you. It will more or less stay a flat rectangular shape at the front, even when empty. I can feel my stuff inside through the Dyneema easily though, and as for knocking others, I take public transport with it, super crowded conditions, haven't knocked anyone, and no one has accused me of being an elephant yet.

    Between Black and Steel, especially for Dyneema, I'm declaring up front that I'm strongly in the Steel camp, I can't really give you an unbiased opinion regarding color choice. You will have to make the agonizing choice yourself, sorry! :P
    My personal choice will be Black Dyneema. More contrast, more black. Steel Dyneema looks too "White", and I prefer darker colours.

    This is entirely opposite of @icebeng. We are not making things any more easier for you, I know....

  8. #38
    Registered User adalangdon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    383
    I think black if you like a really sporty look, steel if you want something more formal and softer-looking.
    eWalker likes this.
    ISO: Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine SCB, Kiwi LS, Ultrasuede LS, Pink Swift, Ego seat-belt buckle stripe, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

  9. #39
    Registered User RhoFro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    178
    Has anyone received a Steel Pilot from the most recent batch? I'd like to know if the ballistic steel is the 'tending toward green' color or the more blueish steel like my Tri-Star. I can cross it off my wish list if it's green-grey.
    eWalker likes this.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

  10. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    80
    I just received my brand spankin' new Pilot today, and have just come back to the hotel room after a full day of conferencing with it. Pretty much the most awesome-est cross body bag ever. All through undergrad and grad school I had a Timbuk2 messenger bag, and was actually looking to replace it when I came across Tom Bihn's bags this past winter.

    Up until now, I had been content with switching to a backpack, but for the past few months have been really missing the messenger style (particularly when riding New England public transportation). I had ordered a Pilot when they were first introduced, but ended up sending it back because I carry a MBA 11'' and thought that while the co-pilot was a bit too small, the pilot was a bit too big (so sorry that I doubted you, Pilot!). So, right before clicking the order button on a new Timbuk2 bag, I thought "gee, this bag really looks inelegant when compared to a Pilot" and that same day saw this thread. So, RhoFro, it is all your fault that I have this amazingly wonderful bag.

    I hope these will encourage you to also make the right choice in the non-backpack-computer-bag-EDC-travel-companion department:

    Attachment 7460Attachment 7461Attachment 7462Attachment 7463Attachment 7464

  11. #41
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    80
    And yes, I do have a Dinosaur lunchbox with the kid-colored lids on my lunchbot tins.

    Commence judging.

    Attachment 7465Attachment 7466Attachment 7467Attachment 7468

  12. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpinter View Post
    Commence judging.
    Your honor, we have reached a verdict - Guilty - of Awesome Taste!

    I have the exact same Pilot and I agree with you, it makes a great conference bag and has just enough extra room to make the 11-inch MBA a comfortable carry. I had my doubts about the water bottle pocket, but it has been great to use. I just try to keep the bag vertically when possible, and I feel good bringing my own water bottle.

    Love the wasabi interior, easy to see the contents - and sharp on the outside with the black Dyneema.

  13. #43
    Registered User ncb4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    671
    No judgment here: I love the dinosaur lunchbox!

  14. #44
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    I have the Steel Dyneema/Steel Pilot.
    I'm usually hauling around the company laptop in it though, so I feel the laptop more than the bag lol.
    But loaded up with EDC stuff, yes, it's more pliable.

    Regarding the "surround" you're after, could I remind you the Pilot has tubing at the front to give it structure? So even with the Dyneema one, you're not going to get the, can I say "body hugging" effect that a Cafe Bag gives you. It will more or less stay a flat rectangular shape at the front, even when empty. I can feel my stuff inside through the Dyneema easily though, and as for knocking others, I take public transport with it, super crowded conditions, haven't knocked anyone, and no one has accused me of being an elephant yet.

    Between Black and Steel, especially for Dyneema, I'm declaring up front that I'm strongly in the Steel camp, I can't really give you an unbiased opinion regarding color choice. You will have to make the agonizing choice yourself, sorry! :P
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaris85 View Post
    If you're looking for levels of surround that those Crumpler or Timbuk2 messengers provide, I think neither the Nylon nor the Dyneema will give you that. I have a Nylon Co-pilot and when it is not filled to brim, it does arch outwards a little and offer some surround on my back. I carry my bags cross-body exclusively so I know the surround you are referring to. I don't have any Dyneema bags, but if the nylon one already offer some surround, I will reckon the Dyneema ones will offer more.

    That said, the surround only applies if you do not fill the bag up fully. For a bag to have that rectangular bag feeling on your back, it very much boils down to what you put it the bag. Imagine a bag with a bunch of books versus a change of clothes, bunch of books will definitely give you that rectangular feeling. Any bag that is filled up will also be of a certain heft to it, so be it Nylon or Dyneema, it will still hit other people. Thus my opinion is that your decision shouldn't be based too much on the surround factor or the rectangular bag factor. The surround factor will only be significant if the main compartment is relatively empty, and the rectangular bag factor pretty much depends on what you put in it.

    If I am choosing between Dyneema and Nylon, I will consider the following though:

    1. Do you like the feeling of toughness? The moment you touch the Nylon, you know it's built to last. I do not have any Dyneema bags but I'm sure they are tough too. But I dare say the Nylon is definitely more abrasion-resistant than the Dyneema. Not sure about the slash-resistance properties but it feels as though a pickpocket will not be able to slash Ballistic Nylon in one go.

    2. Styling: Nylon comes in solid colours while the Dyneema has the cool grid design. For me, this constitutes 50%-70% of my decision making process. Both have stark differences so one may appeal to you more. Dyneema definitely looks edgier and is more suitable for leisure like you mentioned. But if you are ultra-conservative, the grid design might put you off.


    I got my Nylon CP primarily because the Dyneema one wasn't available when I ordered
    If I could, I would have gotten a Black Dyneema one.
    The upside of my Black CP is that it has the solar interior!

    Hope this helps!
    Thanks @icebeng & @aquaris85 for your awesome feedback, especially the "surround" / "hugging". Really insightful.

    I won't be carrying a laptop with me as my laptop are 15.6" and too heavy, but I do have a Dell Latitude 10" but I don't intend to bring that device as part of the journey of leisure/travel. It would most likely just stay at home or accommodation. I guess my Main Compartment will be empty or half-empty, most of the time. Exclude those attached O-Rings Accessories like Pouch.

    I just love the very organize part of Co-Pilot/Pilot. I want an organized, many pocket Messenger Bag. I don't wish to get an another - a single empty hold compartment. Also, I intend to use this Pilot Bag as Diaper/Baby Bag for next year.

    The reason I choose Pilot vs Co-Pilot is I had made measurement and found out A4 Paper and Paper Folder are easily fit in Pilot. While, CP - I don't think Paper Folder can - only A4 Paper by Measurement. The another reason is just the $20 Dollar difference and it could easily swallow more stuff without oversize it, though I don't intend to squeeze in more stuff, as I could just bring my Ballistic A45 for such purpose. I want the "surround" or "hugging". Hehe.

    Yeah @aquaris85, I was aware that although the Dyneema is 400d, it is still no match for Ballistic in terms of toughness. But I think it is a risk that I am willing to take. By the way, if I am not wrong, i think it is Darcy or moriond, who mention she still has a Dyneema CP since the initial offer, in good condition. She even brought for hiking. I think Hiking is a bit hazardous, than travel. But I understand you never know such as Pickpocket Theft by slashing. I will consider again.

    Great @aquaris85, you get yourself a Solar lining. Hm... I am not sure whether it was there yesterday. Pilot has another option Steel Ballistic/UV.

    Quote Originally Posted by aquaris85 View Post
    My personal choice will be Black Dyneema. More contrast, more black. Steel Dyneema looks too "White", and I prefer darker colours.

    This is entirely opposite of @icebeng. We are not making things any more easier for you, I know....
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I think black if you like a really sporty look, steel if you want something more formal and softer-looking.
    You guys got the point. Thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjpinter View Post
    I just received my brand spankin' new Pilot today, and have just come back to the hotel room after a full day of conferencing with it. Pretty much the most awesome-est cross body bag ever. All through undergrad and grad school I had a Timbuk2 messenger bag, and was actually looking to replace it when I came across Tom Bihn's bags this past winter.

    Up until now, I had been content with switching to a backpack, but for the past few months have been really missing the messenger style (particularly when riding New England public transportation). I had ordered a Pilot when they were first introduced, but ended up sending it back because I carry a MBA 11'' and thought that while the co-pilot was a bit too small, the pilot was a bit too big (so sorry that I doubted you, Pilot!). So, right before clicking the order button on a new Timbuk2 bag, I thought "gee, this bag really looks inelegant when compared to a Pilot" and that same day saw this thread. So, RhoFro, it is all your fault that I have this amazingly wonderful bag.

    I hope these will encourage you to also make the right choice in the non-backpack-computer-bag-EDC-travel-companion department:
    Congratz, mjpinter.

    I did once consider Timbuk and I found out Timbuk before my discovery of Tom Bihn. But Timbuk Bag looks very inelegant or "teen" or "kid". I felt the Cafe Bag the same too. No offence intended.

    I may carry a Tablet Latitude 10", but most of the time no. Just for saying, I intend to get a Dell Venue 8 Pro in the future - it runs full Windows 8.1 Pro in a small and thin 8" screen. Reviews said run beautifully for common productivity tasks. Hence, I wouldn't be worrying.

    By the way, did any of use guys use Absolute Shoulder Strap for Cross-Body carrying style?
    I had read that in other Topic that one may experience problem because of Rubber/Non-Slide part and one could not easily cross-body to the front or back.
    I believe that may be true. But just wondering, those using the Absolute Should Strap - does it allow more shoulder relief (Cross-Body carrying style) than the Standard strap? I assumed logically, there won't be any differences but I wish to know in real life.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 07-22-2014 at 05:25 PM.
    eWalker likes this.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

    Buy List Wouldn't mind Used/Like New: SA, CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

  15. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    82
    I have both the standard strap for my CP and the absolute for my Ego. You are right in saying that for the Absolute, the swinging of the bag to the front and back, crossbody, will be a little bit of a hassle as the grippy part is really grippy. I also have to swing my bag back and forth on my public commute constantly. Either to take things from the bag or the allow people to pass behind my me on a crowded bus. The standard strap is great for that as the padded cushion stays on ur shoulder while the strap slides within in. If want to do that manoeuver with an Absolute, you have to grab the top handle and lift the bag up to bring it to the front.

    However, bar none, the Absolute does an excellent job at reducing the load on ur shoulder. I use my Ego on gym days when I have heavy loads so the weight will be a bigger issue than the slide-bility.

    If you bike alot, you may want to consider the Q-am. There are forum pages that show how you can hack it for a Pilot. That said, I didn't pick the Q-am as I don't need the crossbody strap and I don't like the look of the crossbody buckle squeezing onto the strap when you clip it in place.
    eWalker likes this.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0