Like Tree28Likes
  • 19 Post By markwill
  • 7 Post By taminca
  • 2 Post By markwill

Thread: "We have Tom Bihn bags. We can do anything!"

"We have Tom Bihn bags. We can do anything!"

Some of you may have seen my previous posts where I've mentioned I am planning our 25th wedding anniversary trip (Paris -> Rome -> Tuscany -> Paris). A few months ago I made my own decision to go "one bag" - but realized it would all be somewhat redundant if my wife was checking stuff in. Initially, she pushed back. A lot!! But I gradually wore her down. And I finally convinced her to do this. We ordered a "backordered till late August" Aeronaut 45 about 3 weeks ago, keeping our fingers crossed it would arrive in time. Somewhat amazingly (and to our surprise), it arrived on Tuesday Thank you, Tom Bihn, for "under-promising and over-delivering" (literally).

Anyway, I have been researching a rather ambitious day when we leave Rome, with the possibility of a fast train to Cinque Terre, a few hours there and then a car to Siena. Probably too much but still investigating.

So, I mentioned this potential trip to my wife today. Her response is in the subject line.

I think I broke through. She's a walking Tom Bihn ad now, apparently!

Mark

This should be our Forum Motto!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Yay for early delivery! And enjoy Italy - the coffee is amazing

(We did Venice->Florence by train a decade ago, and I wish I'd had a TB bag rather than conventional suitcases...)
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

The only thing better than being on holiday in Italy is being on holiday in Italy with a bag that fits on any train overhead rack and won't crush you if you have to hold it in your lap for a little bit.

Rome --> 5T --> Siena does indeed sound ambitious, but if it's your only chance to see the 5T, do it. (Also, when you're in Tuscany, be very careful if you find yourself on one of the white roads. Google some images and you'll see why . . . eep!)

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Rome --> 5T --> Siena does indeed sound ambitious, but if it's your only chance to see the 5T, do it. (Also, when you're in Tuscany, be very careful if you find yourself on one of the white roads. Google some images and you'll see why . . . eep!)
    I took a look at this but it turns out the latter half of the day (Cinque Terre to Siena) isn't great scenery, so we are going to take a more leisurely trip to Siena after we check out of Rome. Very much looking forward to the trip.

By the way, I am doing the Seattle to Portland bike ride tomorrow (one day, in 95 degrees - oh dear!!!). My wife is driving down separately and taking both her own and my Aeronaut. So, even though it's just a couple of nights, this is actually our first trip with these bags. We are WAY overpacked (given the duration) but I kind of used it as a "practice session" for our Italy trip. I've already learned I need another packing cube for "order" in my bag, for example It was really fun to see my wife pack her stuff neatly. She enjoyed it too

My family laughed at me when I walked around the house with the Aeronaut on my back!

Thanks.

Mark

Good luck, Markwill, on the STP, and stay hydrated given the unusual heat! Enjoy your practice runs with the new Aeronauts too.

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    Good luck, Markwill, on the STP, and stay hydrated given the unusual heat! Enjoy your practice runs with the new Aeronauts too.
    Thank you This is going to be quite the challenge and I am mildly concerned about the impact of 92+ degree weather. 203 miles of that (well, at least for the latter half) is going to be challenging.

That said, I have Tom Bihn bags - so I can do anything, apparently

Mark

PS: But the Tom Bihn bags won't be on my bike

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0