Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Which steel fabric has the green hue?

Which steel fabric has the green hue?

I know its been discussed, but a search on "green hue" turned up a lot of unrelated messages.

Is it the steel parapack or the steel ballistic that has the green hue? (Because I'm not a green fan, I want to avoid that.)

Thanks!
    eWalker likes this.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian , SE in black/iberian and coyote/steel, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz in black and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag.

Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    I know its been discussed, but a search on "green hue" turned up a lot of unrelated messages.

Is it the steel parapack or the steel ballistic that has the green hue? (Because I'm not a green fan, I want to avoid that.)

Thanks!
    Green Balistic depending on the batch.

I think this is the post you are looking for.
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-05-2014 at 06:07 AM. Reason: adding link to probable post
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post

Thanks!
    @sturbridge Steel Parapack definitely has a greenish hue, but it appears that Steel Ballisitic Nylon in the most current production batches is no longer as greenish. For reference, see the discussion following my post In the Two of a kind? thread. That post also gives links to the series of posts by @kkintea with detailed pictures of the various fabrics in steel. (If you have to search for these, look them up under "not quite 50 shades of grey" with "grey" spelled with an "e" to match the popular book title). Later in that same thread, there are comparison pictures of Co-Pilots (by @ilkyway) and Pilots (by @bb93fo57). Look at the Steel Ballistic Nylon in @bb93fo57's post. Like the Steel in @Trailhiker's reply picture (about how one of his recent ballistic Co-Pilots could have a "blueish hue"), that Steel does not look greenish. Compare it to the Steel in @Ilkyway's Co-Pilot, which is like the color shown in @kkintea's posts of Steel Ballistic colors. And, by the way, the 400d Dyneema Steel is not greenish at all. See, for example, @Moosezilla's pictures in her Taking the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag to Work thread.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Green Balistic depending on the batch.
    Correct (although I think you meant "Steel" Ballistic -- those Freudian slips will get you every time when they're not contained in bags!

moriond

ETA: @eWalker sorry for the bad pun and for the more verbose addition to the link you gave. I thought I'd draw attention to the later pictures comparing Steel in that same thread, because the topic of the color of Steel wasn't mentioned (the request was really so that the Dyneema and Ballistic Nylon versions of bags could be shown), but they illustrated this point very well.
    Last edited by moriond; 07-05-2014 at 06:50 AM.

moriond I love your detailed posts with links and refrencematerial. LOVE LOVE LOVE (It needs to be said from time to time!)

As to my pictures of my co-pilots I used a gray-card to get the colors right because some (including me) the greenish hue is an issue. I would so much like steel in with a blueish hue. But I know with colors it is like everything else: it is taste-depending. I always wonder why people say: no more (fill in a color). Much more (fill in a color). Who knows (but the people who have the actual sells-figures) which color is liked best? Maybe the (fill in a color)-fraction is more outspoken and therefor the impression rises (?), that this color is liked best. I'll wait for the right (for me) colors. I am so happy, that with Tom Bihn you get to choose and that there are warm and cold colors so that everybody can find something to her/his liking.

But I think it is importend to be able to make informed desitions. And therefor precise color-pictures and detailed color-descriptions are necessary. As it happens, moriond, I always enjoy your very detailed color-descriptions. I wish I could form the right words to describe them. You must have artistic-blood in your vein.

Ilkyway

Edit: actually I'd like it, if there was a way to see on ordering which balistic steel had which hue. Maybe a "g" or a "b" behind the color? For now I avoid steel ballistic but a blue hue would sell a Side Effect, a Pilot and little Swift in that color.
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 07-05-2014 at 07:59 AM.

Thank you all- you folks are always so helpful!
    Ilkyway likes this.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian , SE in black/iberian and coyote/steel, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz in black and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag.

(sturbridghe: like your "Location" hope this catches one)

May I ask a related question here? Do I get it right, that there is a steel Cordula (used on the Brain Bags)? I this a neutral gray?

I bought a Tristar in Steel Ballistic last Fall and it had a very greenish tint to it...so much so that it almost appeared olive in certain light; however, it always appeared more grey in pictures. It is the reason that I just ordered my A30 in Black Ballistic, because I was not fond of the greenish tint and thought that Steel may clash a bit with the Wasabi interior that I wanted.

SaddleSC I would have thought that the greenish steel would look lovely with a Wasabi interior. I have not seen it just thought since both are broken colors (with a non gray and non green addition to take away the clarity, not as in out of order) and both on the wormer side, I just fit.

My steel Co-Pilot has an Ultraviolet interior. I love that color, but being the complementary of green it emphasizes the greenish hue and I'd rather not have that emphasized. But as ungreen as I am: since I own a Aubergine/Wasabi SA and SE this color grew immensely on my. I have quite a few Wasai accessories and like them very much. So you could call me somewhat reformed on the inside.

Ilkyway

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    moriond I love your detailed posts with links and refrencematerial. LOVE LOVE LOVE (It needs to be said from time to time!)

As to my pictures of my co-pilots I used a gray-card to get the colors right because some (including me) the greenish hue is an issue.

Edit: actually I'd like it, if there was a way to see on ordering which balistic steel had which hue. Maybe a "g" or a "b" behind the color? For now I avoid steel ballistic but a blue hue would sell a Side Effect, a Pilot and little Swift in that color.
    @Ilkyway. Thanks for the kind words (blush). And thank you for providing such detailed and color-accurate pictures in your forum posts. I do prefer "bluer" hues of Steel, but oddly enough, I quite like an early Ballistic Nylon color "Sage" that has green tones. I suspect that's because it was supposed to be a kind of grayed green rather than primarily Steel with a green undertone. @Sacharissa is going to bring a Sage Smart Alec (earlier version) to the Bloomington, IN minifest, so perhaps we will hear reactions to this color from the other attendees. I suspect that you need a Steel enthusiast like @kkintea or @backpack to track the different Steel dye lot variations over time. I'm aware of these variations for plum, with my top preference for the bluest tone deep Plum of my original Buzz sling backpack from 2004, but I don't purchase enough Steel to be as aware of these changes. I also happen to like the Hunter green of my Hunter/Cork/Sage Imago a bit more than the green of the Forest/Cork/Steel Imagos because it is a slightly bluer green (maybe "Hunter" is supposed to recall the horses from the "Bluegrass" state of Kentucky).

May I ask a related question here? Do I get it right, that there is a steel Cordula (used on the Brain Bags)? I this a neutral gray?
    I don't have a Brain Bag, but I believe current models are lined with Steel Parapack, but made of Cordura, as in this product picture:

HTH moriond

SaddleSC I would have thought that the greenish steel would look lovely with a Wasabi interior. I have not seen it just thought since both are broken colors (with a non gray and non green addition to take away the clarity, not as in out of order) and both on the wormer side, I just fit.

My steel Co-Pilot has an Ultraviolet interior. I love that color, but being the complementary of green it emphasizes the greenish hue and I'd rather not have that emphasized. But as ungreen as I am: since I own a Aubergine/Wasabi SA and SE this color grew immensely on my. I have quite a few Wasai accessories and like them very much. So you could call me somewhat reformed on the inside.

Ilkyway
    Interesting insight...thanks! My Tristar had Iberian inside and it just didn't work as well as I had hoped. The perception of color is very subjective and even when the bag was closed I could never quite get used to the greenish tint. I was hoping for more of a "pure" graphite grey. I didn't want to chance it this time around, so I went with black on my A30, which always looks good I exchanged that Tristar for Navy/Solar, which I also love!

I love Ultraviolet, btw...that is a great color!
    Ilkyway likes this.

@ SaddleSC: Black as travel bag works well as all the examples out there indicate. So that will work out just fine. And as for the Navy/Solar: I love that combo too. One of my SEs is like this and most of my Nordic has a Solar interior. I use the SE on Navy when I wear colors that do not work well with the Aubergine.

And amen to: "The perception of color is very subjective..."

Ilkyway

moriond the picture looks neutral to bluish to me. But I am hoping for the steel Experts to chip in. Since I am in no hurry with the Brain Bag (it is more about filling a gab for special travel occasions) I wound rush this one (as opposed to most of my other purchases...) but if the steel is no green on the outside (the inside is not as importend because it does not interact with my wardrobe) I might consider it instead of the plum-version... choices...

Sorry if I detoured the thread too much, I hope this is still okay?

If it is the same Cordura that was used a while back for café bags, then no, it has a pronounced greenish note. Actually, I thought it was lovely, but if you don't care for green, you probably wouldn't like it.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Thank you for that info. So plum it is, for me anyway.

I am traveling but never far from my steel collection. The Little Swift is the oldest 'steel' and my favorite Bihn bag. To me, in the evening Berlin air, the steel parapack (on the forum gift pouch) is the greenest. The Dyneema appears the truest grey.

I can say I tried a steel ristretto, maybe summer '13, and it was not at all the same ballistic as the LS; it went back. I almost packed my steel TS for this trip but went with my Nordic WF instead, so I can't compare to that at the moment.

@IIlkway, come on over to Berlin and you can see them all in person!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0