Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Which steel fabric has the green hue?

(sturbridghe: like your "Location" hope this catches one)
    I'm just copying the cool kids.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian , PU in coyote/steel (this bag is not just for parents), SE in black/iberian and coyote/steel, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz in black and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag which would be a slightly larger Night Flight or a slightly smaller Skookum duffle.

@kkintea: Tempting! How long are you "in town"? Thank your for this picture. Whatever hue there is, this picture looks great.

@sturridge: the more do this, the cooler it is in itself: as eWalker said: it is much easy and easier to "get" about how fare we are spread if we have a standardized point of reference. And since all cool kids have a Tom Bihn bag you where one of them already.

Ilkyway
    Last edited by Ilkyway; 07-05-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  915.8 KB
    Definitely the parapack steel has a greenish hue. I like it! It's still very neutral

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Lovely Steel collection! So very sad I didn't get a steel LS when I had the chance.
    kkintea likes this.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Steel Parapack has the most greenish undertone of all Steel Tom Bihn colors.

I have older Steel Ballistic and Cordura items and they all have lovely cool grey hues with no trace of green.

When I first used the Steel Parapack FJN in daylight, I had to check the label to make sure that I received the Steel and not a M.A.S.H Army Green one.

I briefly considered swapping it for a Navy but it turned out to be perfect.
    I was worried that my Plum FJN was getting "dirty" (it has little smudges that can easily be removed with a damp cloth) as EDC.

I bought the Steel to become a replacement EDC which sleek Parapack fabric is a dream to slip in and out of any TB bag, the color can take and shed stuff that one might pick up outside like shopping cart grime, etc...

It also is a great match to my SE in Steel Parapack/UV which didn't make it as a replacement EDC PLO or a inner pocket for the PCSB as a slightly bigger landscapse style EDC PLO.

But... Both the FJN and SE in Steel Parapack are perfect Joeys (baby kangaroos) for my LSB, S19 or Swift as EDC for errands with the car, public transport trips or more stylish gatherings.

The SCB is my minimalist EDC and can be worn with or slipped in any of those bags.

I hope TB is going to introduce another color of 400d/Travel Dyneema or use Parapack to make the Daylight Pack which would replace the S19 as a Travel EDC.

On one of my trips, I used the Aeronaute Packing Cube and the LCB for a whale watching excursion.
    The sun was shining and reflecting from the sea, so sun protective clothing and products were essential, the wind chilled out the upper deck so the layers I brought inside the APC were welcomed.

I had my photo/video minimalist equipment in the LCB, but it was too choppy to do anything but hold on firmly with both hands to the deck rail.

I hope to turn my Steel Parapack items into a watercolor outdoor kit. I was inspired by Dan Brandsfield and found the wonderful invention of watercolor pencils and water brushes (both being more Bean/Clouseau/Mr Hulot/yourstruly proof) than regular watercolor.

All I need is a Steel or Navy or Purple? Daylight Pack!

Steel has never gotten my interest. Til now. This thread, especially the photos posted by @kkintea and @shoplarry, are dangerous!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

@taminca, You're the dangerous photo-poster. I'm eating Lara bars and have 3 double organizers thanks to your handiwork!

For interested parties, yes one of the pouches is steel by special request :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

I can't edit from iPhone, but I'll also add I would've probably ordered multiple q-kits and the daylight already thanks to @taminca if I were not overseas at the moment. Photos are über-enabling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    taminca likes this.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  824.1 KB
    One more photo with the steel parapack next to the steel dyneema so you can really see the difference. The steel dyneema has no hint of green whereas the steel parapack of the SCB definitely hues to the green side. I find this steel parapack to be a very unique shade!

Quote Originally Posted by shoplarry View Post
    One more photo with the steel parapack next to the steel dyneema so you can really see the difference. The steel dyneema has no hint of green whereas the steel parapack of the SCB definitely hues to the green side. I find this steel parapack to be a very unique shade!
    Wow! GREAT photo. My first TB purchase was a Steel Dyneema S19 and although I love the S19, Steel Dyneema never grew on me and so I have stayed away from Steel. But, @shoplarry, that Steel Parapack is gorgeous!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

[QUOTE=moriond;70654]@Ilkyway. Thanks for the kind words (blush). And thank you for providing such detailed and color-accurate pictures in your forum posts. I do prefer "bluer" hues of Steel, but oddly enough, I quite like an early Ballistic Nylon color "Sage" that has green tones. I suspect that's because it was supposed to be a kind of grayed green rather than primarily Steel with a green undertone. @Sacharissa is going to bring a Sage Smart Alec (earlier version) to the Bloomington, IN minifest, so perhaps we will hear reactions to this color from the other attendees. I suspect that you need a Steel enthusiast like @kkintea or @backpack to track the different Steel dye lot variations over time. I'm aware of these variations for plum, with my top preference for the bluest tone deep Plum of my original Buzz sling backpack from 2004, but I don't purchase enough Steel to be as aware of these changes. I also happen to like the Hunter green of my Hunter/Cork/Sage Imago a bit more than the green of the Forest/Cork/Steel Imagos because it is a slightly bluer green (maybe "Hunter" is supposed to recall the horses from the "Bluegrass" state of Kentucky).

Moriond I found two pictures of the colour Sage.... Just to complete your post...

Name:  Imago 3.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  23.0 KBName:  Imago.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  24.2 KB
    dorayme and WenV like this.

vivelly this bag looks so nice (even to me, a known green... how do I put this... decliner). What a bag.

PS: wie hat Dein Bekanter aus Frankreich das Ergebniss aufgenommen? Ich hoffe Ihr hatte viel Spaß, denn es war ja klar, das nur einer Gewinnen kann.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by vivelly View Post

Moriond I found two pictures of the colour Sage.... Just to complete your post...

Name:  Imago 3.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  23.0 KBName:  Imago.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  24.2 KB
    @vivelly It's confusing, but the Sage colored Ballistic Nylon used in the early Smart Alecs and Aeronauts is not the same color as the Sage 500d Cordura lining of my Hunter/Cork/Sage Imago. There aren't good pictures of Sage on the web. The best I can do is refer to one of the 2006 blog images for the Smart Alec colors that were back in stock just prior to the first production run of the Aeronaut:

The top row is Crimson, Black, and Sage. The second row is Grape, Kiwi, and Steel. Colors are not quite exact, as those with Kiwi may be able to tell. I think that Sage sold out almost before they go through the pre-production orders. A small batch of Hunter Ballistic Nylon became available after the first batch of Aeronauts were produced. An older version Imago that @Janine found on eBay and started circulating for forum members to try out as a "traveling Imago" with Quick-Adjust Messenger Strap was also Hunter. At that time, it was still possible to buy into large production dye lots of Ballistic Nylon that other manufacturers initiated -- that's how we initially got access to colors like Grape, Kiwi, and Hunter. Soon after, when most bag manufacturing moved overseas, development of any new ballistic nylon colors had to be bankrolled by Tom Bihn, and they also had to place large fabric orders of a minimum size for these fabrics to be custom made for them at all. I think that's when we started seeing some of the color options narrow down, and the current system of batching different color production batches of bags in an attempt to both provide these ranges of colors, but also control costs.

The other reason I love my Hunter/Cork/Sage Imago in this early appearance of Cork, is the lighter, silvery interior of Sage compared to Steel. If I were ordering from scratch, among all the Cork Imago color combinations that they made, I'd probably choose Navy/Cork/Wasabi, but I'm pretty pleased with this bag.

HTH. moriond

ETA: The pictures of the Hunter/Cork/Sage Imago were taken by @eristack, who also initiated the thread that led to the design of the original Aeronaut. (She also bought an Aeronaut Breve -- which was the model with more closely spaced backpack straps for shorter people and those with smaller builds -- in Sage Ballistic Nylon). They originate from the New Imago Colors: Hunter/Cork/Sage and Sapphire/Steel/Sage + More thread.
    Last edited by moriond; 07-05-2014 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Added credits and original link to Imago pictures
    vivelly likes this.

Ilkyway...she was very quiet about it. :-P Of course Germany had to win.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Correct (although I think you meant "Steel" Ballistic -- those Freudian slips will get you every time when they're not contained in bags!

ETA: @eWalker sorry for the bad pun and for the more verbose addition to the link you gave. I thought I'd draw attention to the later pictures comparing Steel in that same thread, because the topic of the color of Steel wasn't mentioned (the request was really so that the Dyneema and Ballistic Nylon versions of bags could be shown), but they illustrated this point very well.
    @Moriond Yes, you are right, I meant to write Steel Ballistic!! I have to watch more carefully my typing!!

And don´t you ever worry about something like that!! I second what @Ilkyway said 200%!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    moriond I love your detailed posts with links and reference material. LOVE LOVE LOVE (It needs to be said from time to time!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    moriond I love your detailed posts with links and reference material. LOVE LOVE LOVE (It needs to be said from time to time!)
    I never cease to learn from your posts and attention to details!!
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-06-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0