Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Anyone else surprised by Aero 30 Price?

Anyone else surprised by Aero 30 Price?

Like most, I've patiently waited for months for the Aero 30 to drop. When June was the announced month, I started checking daily. When the big day came, I was surprised by the price and have not yet ordered one.

I was expecting a price significantly lower, around $180 to $200, based on the "old" price of the Aero 45 of $250. I have many Tom Bihn products and am always willing to pay more for quality but in the case of the Aero 30, I'm not quite sure it's a bag I need, and $270 is a little much for an impulse buy.

Like many others, I was thinking the Aero 30 might make an awesome gym bag, but $270 for a gym bag is a little nuts. Even $180 would have been a little high for a gym bag but I would have gladly paid that because I enjoy owning well-paid quality products.

How many others were eagerly anticipating the new Aero 30 but have yet to buy one due to price?

Welcome to the forum, but sorry you were upset by the pricing!

This was before you joined, but the Aeronaut 30's price was announced in this thread in May:

http://www.tombihn.com/forums/just-r...ce-update.html

And here's the quote from Darcy:

"Note on the Aeronaut: this is basically the Co-Pilot and Pilot situation all over again. The Aeronaut 30 will debut at $270 (note: there's a couple of small but key design updates in the Aeronaut 30) and, around that time or a little after, the Aeronaut price will be updated to $280."

I know it doesn't salve the wound any, but at least now you know that there is a perk to forum membership: some important changes are introduced in the "Just for registered members" forum.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I'm almost certainly going to buy an A30 at some point, but maybe not immediately. That's partially because of the price, but the reason behind that is that I may want to sell my little-used Tri-star first to partially fund it. There's no great urgency as I already have an A45. Also, as I'm in the UK the shipping cost is nontrivial, so it makes sense to batch orders together.

I wasn't surprised by the price itself. If you look around the forum, there are posts from Darcy discussing prices. The A45 is imminently going to go up in price, other bags have already gone up - essentially, these are high quality items which contain a fair bit of engineering and high quality fabrics, very thoroughly sewn together, and the TB company having worked out what it costs to make them came to the reluctant conclusion that the prices had to go up. The A45 will be going up, as I recall, once the newer batches start coming out with the design changes carried over from the A30. The A30 is just already set at the 'new' price point and other things will catch it up sooner or later. It has just as much engineering in it as the A45, and probably takes at least as much time/effort to construct - think of it as the same as an A45 but made with maybe 15-20% less materials. Remember also that TB have a great returns policy if you buy a bag and decide it isn't what you need after all - which might take the sting out of buying one to check.

I agree that TB bags are not cheap, but that's a result of their conscious decision to focus on US-based manufacturing of very high quality travel goods. I'm sure an A30 would make a great gym bag, but that isn't its primary mission statement and there are many other options in that target area.

I'm sure all of us would love TB gear to be a bit less expensive, but I can't see that happening without them compromising their core principles in some way, to the detriment of the company and its products.
    Last edited by PaulT00; 07-04-2014 at 08:35 AM.
    A45 crim/stl TS navy/solr A30 aub/wsbi S19 nrdc/stl P nrdc/solr CP blk/stl; SE wsbi CQPC ibrn, solr Ri aub/stl 3DCC card TSS4 wsbi K card TT solr,nrdc,blk CC card/stl PCBP solr PP navy QK frst,cyte,aub + loadsa cubes!

I always just read threads without registering because I had a lot to learn and not a lot to say and I didn't know there was a private forum. I guess I'm the only person surprised by the price because everyone else knew from the secret forum. Disregard this post

Quote Originally Posted by traveltime View Post
    I always just read threads without registering because I had a lot to learn and not a lot to say and I didn't know there was a private forum. I guess I'm the only person surprised by the price because everyone else knew from the secret forum. Disregard this post
    No need for sad face! $270 is a lot of money, and the fact that forums users knew the price in advance doesn't make it less money. Does that make sense?
    If you're looking for a gym bag, I'd check out the Night Flight Travel Duffle. That bag looks sweet! I'd get it in a heartbeat if I weren't so used to two strap carry. Still, it calls to me...

Quote Originally Posted by traveltime View Post
    Traveltime, I agree with Rocks--no need for a sad face. I have been a registered member on the site for quite a while and I missed the price announcement! If only I had been alert, I would have saved some money, that's for sure. I know this doesn't address the fact that you weren't aware of the announcement but I thought I'd add that anyway.

As for the price of TB items, they are significant. I even made a comment in the 'So what did you order?' thread that I started about needing to divert funds from my retirement account to add to my TB lifetime fund and this represented that buying these items isn't something I do lightly. I am one of those people who researches the heck out of things to make sure the quality, design, and price are what I want. Would I like TB prices to be lower? Sure. Am I willing to invest in items that meet my needs? Absolutely. I do not own a ton of TB items partially due to price but mainly because I work hard not to acquire items that I don't truly need.

So end-eth my rant!

I agree that the price gave me pause!

However, I really wanted a high-quality, soft-sided travel bag that was smaller than the Aeronaut. I plan to use it for weekend trips and, possibly, this fall's jaunt to the Middle East. I have tried out alternative brands, but none were quite as good for me. I did sell my Western Flyer, which the Aeronaut 30 will replace, in anticipation, and to recoup some of the cost.

I am not sure I'd buy a bag like the A30 for the gym though -- I guess everyone's needs are different. I figure that my gym clothes get gross and sweaty, and the bag sits on the train floor during my crowded commute. So I use a cheapo duffel that I don't mind getting dirty. I don't feel my gym bag has to satisfy nearly as many requirements as my travel gear, what with the airlines' many requirements, having to haul myself through airports, the TSA, etcetera.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Welcome! I'm sorry that the price of the A30 bums you out; however, bchaplin makes an important point. The A30 *could* be used as a gym bag, sure, but that's not its intended purpose. $270 is a decent/reasonable/okay (and in my mind, perfectly fair) price for a nearly indestructible carry on travel bag, but it's kind of insane for a gym bag. If you get it with the idea that you can use it for the gym *and* as a carry on, though, the price may not seem quite as steep since the item can multitask for you.[*]

I think that Rocks's idea about the NFTD is worth considering. Unless you take a ton of stuff to the gym, its size is probably better suited, and at $180 it's around the price point you had been hoping for. Since it's laid out like the A30, you'll get a lot of the same organizational benefits, too.
    [*]: if you do end up getting the A30 for double duty, I would suggest adding some packets of mirazyme to your order, too, so you can freshen the bag up before packing for a trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome @traveltime!

There are many TB bags that may be more appropriate for your needs.

Why don't you send us the list of items you want to pack on your bag?

The Forum members are always helpful to find the perfect bag for you!

Maybe all you need to go to the gym is a Daylight Backpack!

Warm regards!
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-04-2014 at 01:25 PM.
    vivelly likes this.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

I was also surprised by the price and I am a registered member! I expected that whatever information was available would be in the official A30 thread not needing a special handshake and decoder ring!
    That said if I heard the price in May I would have been surprised a month or 2 earlier! The surprise is at the amount not the timing! I figured the A30 would be priced closer to WF and for sure below A 45! Hence the surprise!
    The other curious thing is the TB color dance!
    When I saw the color selection for A30 I easily imagined a scenario in which all color watches were placed in a deep magic hat and a blindfolded employee was asked to pick the correct number of colors!
    As I read the forumn and view bag images the colors that stood out to me were red, blue steel, black and so I don't get run out of town by the "A Brigade" Aubergine! Interior solar, Iberian, Nordic Blue, wasabi steel! Exteriot dynema Nordic Blue, Steel maybe A
    Where the missing colors went and why mystifies me!

One bag I was totally unaware of was the Night Truffle yes I know I couldn't resist! I like that bag and it's design and configuration! I think if it was just 2250 CI it could be a bag for most travel!

In summary TB bags are nicely designed they deserve the right colors to show them off!
    Also intro videos could benefit from more focus on packing clothes and the interior of the bag and less on the fact that people sit stand walk stare and look at scenery when traveling! I say all with affection for TB and crew!

I think that is the "downside" of having a high quality product made in the homeland. A lot of companies (thinking Icebreaker e.g.) decide that the price is getting too high and they go offshore to China where they can access labor and equipment much cheaper.
    Which in my view is a huge shame. I am so happy to save up longer for something I want if I end up with a product that I can trust, is of exceptional quality and not mass produced like so many other things these days.
    Each and every item I received from TB from the Aeronaut to the keystraps are of fine craftmanship and the attention to detail is outstanding. I find it hard these days to get such quality in anything.
    It is a lot of money....and we all work hard for our money..but I think it is worth every penny, an investment, rather then buying something cheap that will break after the first few travels.
    Some people think me a snob for buying my bags in Seattle (or least they look at me funny) but I think I have the better deal at the end of the day..when they have broken the fifth bag or have gotten sick of it..I will still proudly carry my timeless Tom Bihn bag. :-)
    I buy Made in New Zealand here whereever I can to support our industry, even if it costs a bit more...

I don't disagree with your approach! There is a lot to be said for well designed and crafted products made in the home country, like TB.
    That's my reason for coming to the site!

I think you may not quite understand my price comment! When I am contemplating a purchase I generally think about what the pricing will be for a new product whether a cup of coffee, loaf of bread or Ferrari based on whatever relevant information I have at the time!
    Sometimes I am surprised that a product is less than I expected, those are my favorite price surprises!
    I didn't comment about the value of the product just that it was more than I expected and as you can see at least a few others were surprised as well! I can't imagine that you never formed an advanced price expectation of a product you contemplated buying before you knew the price!
    I mentioned in my post how I calculated!
    By the way I notice lots of folks like icebreaker!
    vivelly likes this.

Sorry Packbetter, I didnt mean to come across as challenging you... I know what you mean and it doesnt make sense that the smaller Aeronaut is more expensive atm than the bigger version. And the new Aeronaut 30 is defenitely out of my price range too...at least for quiet some time to come.

I just saw an opportunity of saying the above that I wanted to say for a long time...for people in general who do not agree with expensive bags. It was not directed at you and I should have made that clear. My apologies.

I too think that the Aeronaut would be too expensive for a gym bag...I think the new daylight pack would make a good gym bag..or the Nightflyer, but the daylight pack is so light and practical and easy to sling over one shoulder. I cant wait to get mine.

This is a good time for people wanting the Aeronaut 45 to order it now, before that too gets more expensive....

PS. Yes Icebreaker is just fantastic!! Though lots of people were disappointed when production moved to China. But its still a NZ company working with NZ Merino farms. Only the finest NZ wool is used for Icebreaker. You can actually trace your garment to the farm the fiber came from.

No apology necessary I figured you might have understood my words a little differently than I intended and we all do that at times going both ways! My response was fueled by my zeal to clarify not any challenged feelings!
    As far as I'm concerned we are forum buddies and I am fine with being asked about my post
    As far as sometimes paying something a little more for a superior product I'm an Apple fan/user!
    I had the same thought about it being a good time to buy A45-but that's in conflict with my desire to go smaller and lighter!
    I agree also I wouldn't use any of The TB travel bags for sweaty gym clothes, just travel!
    vivelly likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0