Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Anyone else surprised by Aero 30 Price?

I plan to check them out further! In relation to travel there are always lots of placed to spend money!

In many manufacturing companies labor is the biggest component of price. While the A30 uses less fabric than the A45 the new design requires more labor, so it cost more. I’ll admit to being a little surprised at seeing a smaller version of the Aeronaut cost more than the full size, but alas I understand why. Obviously there is a price point where, even if justifiable, people no longer buy the product. So, like any manufacture TB has to walk a fine line between delivering new and innovative designs and pricing themselves out of the market.

Interesting that there has been so much pushback on the pricepoint of the A30.

While certainly not inexpensive, it is still quite a bit less than the Tri-Star -- whose latest price bump to $315 elicited no consternation.

In the scheme of things, I guess it makes sense that the A30 is priced where it is: with the 33L Tri-Star at $315 and the 26L Western Flyer at $230, the Aeronaut30 neatly splits the difference between the two in terms of both volume and price.

Still, as long as the A45 remains at $250, it is probably just human nature to want a smaller version of the same design to cost less, rather than more.

That should be taken care of shortly, though, when the A45 is refreshed and its price moves to $280 (a relative bargain, if you need a bag that big)! :-)
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 07-05-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Black Ballistic: Tri-Star (Iberian), Co-Pilot (Iberian)
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (Iberian), Pilot (UV)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (Wasabi), Pilot (Wasabi), Side Effect (Wasabi), PCSB

Or you might raise the question more simply by considering Western flyer and Tri star as siblings in one family to be compared and now looking at a different family the Aeronauts 45 at 250 followed by the A 30 at $215 what??? You say it's $270?

Then to make it all better raise the price of the A45! OKaaaay!
    Last edited by Packbetter; 07-11-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Every item produced by the Lovely Crew is perfect in and out. It was illustrated in Maverick's video about the Side Effect. When he showed the Side Effect seams inside out.

The same is true for all the items I own, the only ones, that have been inside out are the ones that got a thorough cleaning. (not in the washing machine)

I love Tom Bihn creations, in order to make the point about values, I usually check the dubious value/quality of items sold in shopping channels, where the biggest mark up is the brand name not the country of origin.

Not long ago, I saw purses the price of the biggest Tom Bihn Bags, at the time the Aeronaut and Tristar.

Once, I bought a backpack which the top stiching unravelled within the same afternoon it was bought, another backpack, this one from a well known brand name, did the same thing with one of its shoulder strap in the middle of bike commuting in the mist of heavy traffic.

A third bag from a luxury brand name and very expensive bag broke its key component on the first trip.
    While it uses ballistic nylon, it is way heavier than my Aeronaut and is over engineered.
    And the price? i could have bought the Aeronaut, the Tristar and the Western Flyer at that price.

Well... I got it like 12 years ago, before those 3 bags were designed and way before I knew about Tom Bihn,

Frankly I wasn't going to mention my price surprise! Then i noticed this thread! The main point I tried to be clear about was that yes I was surprised and I mentioned in earlier posts why I was surprised!

As I roamed around the web checking out bags and reviews a consistent theme I saw was that Tom Bihn makes quality nicely designed bags. I saw it so often that I concluded that, although I don't know Tom Bihn, I doubted he had enough cousins to be out their writing positive reviews, so it's likely the bloggers true evaluation!

So I haven't raised any questions about quality or design in this discussion! Nor have I attempted to argue the specific value of the A30, just my surprise at the price based upon my calculations as previously set forth!

I did think it was a humorous point that the way to cure the price surprise of the A30 was to raise the price of the A45!

I will point out that my experience with bags and probably my perspective is different from yours!

Nevertheless I will be interested to see the A30 packing videos which after all is where "the rubber meets the road!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0