Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Any more product announcements expected?

Any more product announcements expected?

I was secretly hoping for a crossbody knit bag. I see the Aeronaut 30, the personal item duffel, the daylight backpack and the q-kit. Is there anything else expected to be announced soon? Not to say that these aren't great things but I'm still hoping for a crossbody bag

Another inquiring mind here.Yes, I am greedy for TB and am still hoping for luggage tags.
    Hawaii and eWalker like this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    @Leena My guess is that any upcoming announcements in the near future will be about accessories for use with the new or older bags (like the Night Flight Travel Duffle Padded Organizational dividers, or the Padded Hip Belt for the Guide's Pack). There might be some new color combinations in Cordura.

My impression before this product announcement, based on earlier comments in various thread, (and confirmed by response tweets from Darcy reported after these announcements in direct answer to questions by other people) was that the crossbody bag (optimized for knitters) was much further down the road, and won't appear until much later this year. I'd also guess that any new Dyneema color announcements would take at least a couple of moths to show up.

Just guessing. A lot of this was because there's considerable pressure to get out smaller sized travel-related bags to respond to the new, more stringent carryon regulations by some U.S. carriers, and to hit the peak travel season. I just didn't think they could bring out as many new products as they did at one time, answer that need, and get things into production on this schedule without prioritizing the items they did. And it really does take time to switch over to new custom materials -- all of which take time to develop and produce.

JUst my opinion. YMMV and Darcy may respond separately.

moriond

Just returned home from visiting the Mother Ship. I went to check out the Q Kits and buy afew. Glad I did. I was told that they sold out yesterday, but from the depths of the workroom, a crew member produced 5 in different colors, bought 3, and went on my merry way. They didn't have any of those jazzy blue colors or cayenne left, but I scored a kiwi, a coyote, and an aubergine!

There were several couples Aeronaut 45 shopping at the store and getting the spiel about the Absolute Shoulder Strap. I was able to regale the TT to a new customer who asked how I used it. A busy place today and TB crew having fun.

Anyway, i am writing in this thread because TB says more (but not necessarily new, my parentheses) colors coming in the MCB in several weeks! Be still my heart!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    TB says more (but not necessarily new, my parentheses) colors coming in the MCB in several weeks! Be still my heart!
    *So* jealous you get to go to the mother ship! This piece of news about the MCB is exactly what I needed to hear - I am hoping for new combos in this and also the re-appearance of the Field Journal. It's really exciting to see how products are getting restocked in addition to the new rollouts - what a hive of activity!

On a side note, I got an e-mail today that my return was processed, and I was thinking - huh? What return? And I finally realized that yes, I had returned something, and it made me realize what a frenzy of ordering it has been lately.

ETA: More QKits must be available, because the order I placed last night that included them shipped out just now! Hooray!
    eWalker likes this.

@GoStanford, there were two field journals hanging in the showroom, one in navy parapak (twas gorgeous) and one in black. If either of those colors suit you, give them a call.
    eWalker likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Just returned home from visiting the Mother Ship. I went to check out the Q Kits and buy afew. Glad I did. I was told that they sold out yesterday, but from the depths of the workroom, a crew member produced 5 in different colors, bought 3, and went on my merry way. They didn't have any of those jazzy blue colors or cayenne left, but I scored a kiwi, a coyote, and an aubergine!
    Kiwi! Wow! I might have to order another Q-Kit...
    WenV and eWalker like this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

@GoStanford, there were two field journals hanging in the showroom, one in navy parapak (twas gorgeous) and one in black. If either of those colors suit you, give them a call.
    Thanks for the heads-up! I'm going to hold out for possible re-appearance of Cordura....

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    I was secretly hoping for a crossbody knit bag. I see the Aeronaut 30, the personal item duffel, the daylight backpack and the q-kit. Is there anything else expected to be announced soon? Not to say that these aren't great things but I'm still hoping for a crossbody bag
    I am hopping for a crossbody bag too!

I am keeping a close eye on the knitting bags because I noticed a trend to use the internal organization of the Swift in other light weight bags like the Shop bags and now the Daylight Backpack.

I think that a light weight horizontal crossbody bag using the same kind of internal organization (maybe with a removable Shoulder Strap) would attend various demands I have seen across the Forums.

Hopefully this gap will be filled like is being done on other lines...

A45 / A30 / NFTD / Pilot / Co-Pilot
    Swift / Little Swift / Large Shop Bag / Small Shop Bag / Crossbody bag (hopefully)!!
    DLBP / TriStar PCBP / Aeronaut PCBP / PCSB / Sling Bag (hopefully)!!

Fingers crossed!!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post

Hopefully this gap will be filled like is being done on other lines...
    They turned the PCBP into a "legit" backpack, so my money's totally on them making a structured PCSB. I think I'm in the minority, but I found even the 400d PCSB too floppy.
    scribe and eWalker like this.
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    They turned the PCBP into a "legit" backpack, so my money's totally on them making a structured PCSB. I think I'm in the minority, but I found even the 400d PCSB too floppy.
    I think that TB may attend both demands as they did with the DLBP by offering the bag in two fabrics.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    @adalangdon One way to make the 400d PCSB more structured, if you carry one of medium sized Double Organizer Pouches with that bag, which is a very useful configuration, insert it into the zippered slant pocket. This works even when the DOP is made with lighter weight fabrics (Parapack or 500d Cordura) because of the two layers of fabric and the Urethane window on the pouch. Although I love some of the Ballistic and 1000d Cordura colors (I have Turquoise 1000d and Aubergine Ballisic Nylon in this size, and I've been asking about Kiwi for some time - long before I knew anyone actually had it), I like to store papers in 500d Cordura pouches, so my general usage favorites have been Cayenne and Crimson 500d Cordura I'm this size. They work just fine to add structure to both the 400d and 200d Packing Cube Shoulder Bags and are much more useful here than a Simple Medium Organizer Pouch.

YMMV. moriond

I just stick an 8 x 10 small notepad at the back of the PCSB to give it more rigidity. Alternately, you could cut the cardboard back of the 8.5 x 11 paper pad to fit the exact size of the PCSB.

On another note - with the Daylight backpack being a more fully featured version of the PCBP, make a PCSB variant that is a Sling Bag. I have seen a lot of what I call Micro Sling bags out there recently and it would fill a gap in the TB design offerings.

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-01-2014 at 10:21 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I just stick an 8 x 10 small notepad at the back of the PCSB to give it more rigidity. Alternately, you could cut the cardboard back of the 8.5 x 11 paper pad to fit the exact size of the PCSB.
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @adalangdon One way to make the 400d PCSB more structured, if you carry one of medium sized Double Organizer Pouches with that bag, which is a very useful configuration, insert it into the zippered slant pocket.
    Much appreciated! I've swapped my 400d PCSB for a Azalea SCB (and one with a soft strap, at that!), so it will be a while before I have anything to try these hacks on.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    I think that TB may attend both demands as they did with the DLBP by offering the bag in two fabrics.
    Agreed. I also think judiciously-placed pockets ala the DLBP and SE (on top of some lining) would be useful for organisation and a bit more rigidity, but without compromising the packable nature of these bags. Fingers crossed...
    eWalker likes this.
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @adalangdon One way to make the 400d PCSB more structured, if you carry one of medium sized Double Organizer Pouches with that bag, which is a very useful configuration, insert it into the zippered slant pocket.
    Thanks @moriond! I was thinking about about a way of doing it without adding unnecessary weight.

Great tip!
    Ilkyway likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0