Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree1026Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack

Shanisol: It took me a minute to recognize THE FILM of my teeny-days. I had seen it in German (logicly) so there was this short time of... till AHHH Dirty Dancing!

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    So just to clarify @Janine, your husband thinks you wearing a backpack at dinner is noteworthy but your kids having no pants isn't even worth a notice? Ummm…..
    I know, right?!?!

ps. I totally <3 you, too! :-D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    The brilliance on this forum does not surprise me. I am still TB-less, but I think I have found my home.
    Welcome, @Pokilani! In case you didn't sense the immediate attention of about a thousand eyeballs, everyone is now wondering what TB products will make the first appearance in your forum signature. :-D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Brilliantly written, Janine! There are forums and blogs that I read for information, and forums and blogs that I read because people care enough and are talented enough to write well. Posts like yours put this forum in both categories.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

You had me smiling at your post. It reminds me of my own dear boys (now 17 and 14), who now thankfully wear their underpants! And pants! Mom does NOT want to see the alternative!

I've begun a stealth campaign to make my husband crazy. I know what you're thinking: "But Janine, haven't you been doing that since you got married?" Well, yes. But yesterday I added a dimension to the normal everyday crazy.

Last night when he came to bed, he found the the DLBP on his pillow. *snort* I pretended to be asleep. I heard him softly mutter, "What the...?" and then I heard the DLBP hit the floor at the end of the bed.

When I woke up this morning, I kissed him and then went right to the foot of the bed. I picked up the DLBP and put it on over my nightgown. (A very sexy flannel garment so tent-like that I was able to wear it my entire pregnancy. And it was never tight. And I had twins.) Not 5 seconds passed before he said, "Take that off! You look ridiculous!" I don't even think his eyes were open. Score!

After our morning routine was complete, I packed the DLBP with my daily carry items. Everything I normally carry in my S25 fit. (It's worth noting that packed with these items, my S25 is mostly empty but the DLBP was mostly full.) Here's a really crummy picture of the full DLBP:

Name:  14490053438_163d1567ec_z.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  76.9 KB

and a picture of the full contents:

Name:  14676683635_ff1512cd38_z.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  102.0 KB

Itemized:
    * Previously-unopened box of granola bars ransacked by children before even leaving the back yard. KIDS!
    * Bag of nuts/chocolate snack from Trader Joe's - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
    * Vera Bradley cosmetics bag containing unmentionables
    * Wasabi Diaper Charmer
    * Steel Dyneema Side Effect, my PLO
    * Size 2 TSS with the REAL snacks for the kids
    * Dopper water bottle - RECOMMENDED
    * Two Flip & Tumble squishable shopping bags - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
    * Padded OP with iPad mini inside.

I packed the Diaper Charmer in the lower inside pocket and the two Flip & Tumble bags in the upper inside pocket. The VB bag and my SE were in the main compartment with the padded OP. The water bottle was tucked next to them, on one side. The TSS and snacks were on top in the main compartment.

Initial impressions:

1. The Diaper Charmer (ie, Snake Charmer packed with diapers and wipes) fit very well in the lower pocket and it was comfortable to carry there. If you pack your Snake Charmer with cables and power bricks, they might poke you in the back.

2. The upper pocket was a convenient place for the shopping bags.

3. I miss the S25's dedicated water bottle pocket, but not as much as I thought I would.

4. I miss having pen slots, but I'm actually glad this bag doesn't have them. I use the pen slots in most of my bags but deep down I resent that space was set aside for something I might not need to carry, space that cannot be reclaimed and used for another purpose. So I'm glad there are no pen slots, even though I needed to find another place to put my pens.

5. The lack of a padded back means I have to pack more carefully. In the S25, I could throw some Ginsu knives in the main compartment and chances are good I'd never poke myself. Not so with the DLBP. But I *like* that. The DLBP has a retro feel that reminds me of the backpacks of my youth, which were technically inferior to what we generally carry today but still completely adequate to haul our loot around.

6. The clean lines and plain front beg to be personalized. I never wanted to put patches or buttons on my TB bags before, but the DLBP says, "Come on. Make me uniquely yours."

7. The webbing straps are comfortable. I didn't mind them at all on my 2.7 mile ride to work. When we got to daycare, I did consider taking the DLBP off and parking it with my helmet on the bike, but I didn't. I never even consider taking off my S25. I think that while the webbing straps and unpadded back are fine for regular carry, the bag is still feels like it is there. Contrast this to the S25, which feels like it melted into my back and is now a part of me.

8. Regarding Steel and Greenness: In the sunlight, Steel looked cool and clear and beautiful. In my predominantly beige office, it looks like a very dark sage green. I can accept this. I know that Steel, moreso than any of my other TB Corduras, is reacting to its environment. I'm telling myself that this reactiveness puts Steel one step closer to sentience. It's alive and maybe one day it will start talking to me. But hopefully not, because:

a. Even you guys, who love TB products as much as I do, will think I've gone completely bonkers, and

b. I'm afraid that it might start to object when I stuff it full of toilet paper and watermelons.
    Last edited by Janine; 07-17-2014 at 07:36 AM.

One more observation:

9. There are no convenient places to add reflectivity to the DLBP. If you ride your bike to work like I do, and ride sometimes in the dark like I do, this might affect your choices.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    5…The DLBP has a retro feel that reminds me of the backpacks of my youth, which were technically inferior to what we generally carry today but still completely adequate to haul our loot around.

6. The clean lines and plain front beg to be personalized. I never wanted to put patches or buttons on my TB bags before, but the DLBP says, "Come on. Make me uniquely yours."
    I totally agree! The first thing I said to my hubby when I showed him my DLBP was that it reminds me of my old purple Jansport I've had since high school. For some reason I just love that bag and have refused to throw it away even though the zipper is a little finicky and it really should have been retired long ago. I actually said that the Daylight could replace it if I could only get the patches off the Jansport, lol! I guess great minds think alike huh?

One more observation:

9. There are no convenient places to add reflectivity to the DLBP. If you ride your bike to work like I do, and ride sometimes in the dark like I do, this might affect your choices.
    I'm not sure if I missed this while guffawing my way through your posts, but do you use the waist straps?
    They seem to be the best place to attach a light for safety.

ETA: I mean you can flip them around and clip them at the front of the bag.
    If you do use the waist straps, I think it's possible to attach another set of waist straps to the same loops.
    Last edited by icebeng; 07-17-2014 at 08:03 AM.

One more observation:

My Synapse is pre-light loop, so I feel you. I work in theater, so most of the year I bike in the dark both ways, uphill. I unzip the water bottle pocket a bit and put a blinky light there. With the DLBP, which I don't have yet, I'd probably put it on that diagonal zip.
    I love your posts!

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    ETA: I mean you can flip them around and clip them at the front of the bag.
    If you do use the waist straps, I think it's possible to attach another set of waist straps to the same loops.
    OOH! What a cool idea! I don't use the waist straps so it won't interfere with the way I carry the DLBP at all. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    I totally agree! The first thing I said to my hubby when I showed him my DLBP was that it reminds me of my old purple Jansport I've had since high school. For some reason I just love that bag and have refused to throw it away even though the zipper is a little finicky and it really should have been retired long ago. I actually said that the Daylight could replace it if I could only get the patches off the Jansport, lol! I guess great minds think alike huh?
    Great minds, indeed! :-D I see a craft project in your future!

@dorayme has done a bit of personalization on her bags. She's taking a wee break from technology now, but when she's back online we can get her in on the conversation!

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    You had me smiling at your post. It reminds me of my own dear boys (now 17 and 14), who now thankfully wear their underpants! And pants! Mom does NOT want to see the alternative!
    Thank goodness there is hope for the future!

I must confess that there's something really, really funny about seeing a naked kid butt as its owner runs away from you. It almost makes you forget why the kid is running...avoiding the bathtub, avoiding putting toys away, avoiding vegetables, avoiding the other kid whose toy he just stole....

In case you guys didn't pick up on @Badger's hint from post #88, she gifted me my DLBP.

You know how life is. Sometimes all the little things layer on top of one another and start to get you down. That's where I am right now: I have a big project at work that requires all my energy, some changes are coming at work that make me question our corporate direction, my husband is retiring in two weeks, we don't have a renter yet for the old house, blah blah. So when I got the message from Badger asking me to pick a color...well, it was that one good little thing that somehow magically reverses all the others.

I had a lot of fun agonizing over color choices. I felt like this (particularly at 1:12):

I'm glad I went with Steel, despite all the seductive photos of Burnt Orange and French Blue. I wanted something unobtrusive, that I could carry around all day and not look like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. I definitely see another DLBP in my future, and for the second one I might be a bit more adventurous in my color selection. But the Steel one will always have a place in my heart because it has a story and a connection.

Thank you, Badger! YOU ARE THE BEST!

Janine said: "In case you guys didn't pick up on @Badger's hint from post #88, she gifted me my DLBP."

What hint? I thought she was addressing the cat.

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0