Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
Like Tree1025Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack

The kids were totally unimpressed that someone other than themselves in our household received a present today. Little heathens.

I did this: Opened the box. Looked at it quickly. Closed the box. Contemplated what to make for dinner. Opened the box. Looked at it quickly. Closed the box. Moved the box to the kitchen table. Thought about dinner again. Opened the box. Put on the DLBP. Thought about dinner and decided that this time I'd better act on dinner, too. Fried a kielbasa and some apples. Made kale chips. Took leftover lentils from fridge. Wondered why neither of the kids were wearing pants. Or underwear. Tried to get them to wash their hands before dinner. Failed. Greeted husband who just then returned from work. Observed with quiet satisfaction that he couldn't get them to wash their hands, either. Observed with concern that he didn't notice they were half naked. Filed this away for future reference: making lemonade by adding powder and water to a half-gallon mason jar and shaking only works if you have a liquid-tight cap. Finally sat down to dinner. Ate in the opposite of silence for a few minutes. Then:

Husband: "Why are you wearing a backpack?"

Me: "Because I like it."

Husband: "It kinda creeps me out a little."

Me: "Why?"

Husband: "Because it looks like you are...gonna...like...aaaaaaahhhhh!..." (waves hands frantically) "...or something."

Me: smiles

I wore my DLBP through dinner, bathtime, and the first stage of bedtime. I didn't take it off until it was time to put a watermelon inside.

If you are wondering, the watermelon rested in the small of my back when I wore the loaded pack. It wasn't comfortable, but it wasn't uncomfortable, either. I'd recommend a Smart Alec if you think you'll be carrying a lot of watermelons. Or perhaps an S25.
    Last edited by Janine; 07-16-2014 at 07:39 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

How heavy was the watermelon?
    Was it comfortable to carry when it was fully loaded with watermelon AND toilet paper?

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    If you are wondering, the watermelon rested in the small of my back when I wore the loaded pack. It wasn't comfortable, but it wasn't uncomfortable, either. I'd recommend a Smart Alec if you think you'll be carrying a lot of watermelons. Or perhaps an S25.
    I am often wondering how to best carry watermelons... Mystery solved! Thanks Janine!
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    How heavy was the watermelon?
    Was it comfortable to carry when it was fully loaded with watermelon AND toilet paper?
    What watermelon? There's no watermelon here. I didn't eat an entire smallish watermelon while the rest of the family slept. Don't ask me any more questions.

My scale is a lightweight one for measuring ingredients in the kitchen. I actually use it for measuring yarn. So all I can say with certainty is that the watermelon weight more than 1kg. I'd guess it was in the 5-7 pound range.

The DLBP was just as comfortable to carry with a watermelon and TP as it was when carrying just the watermelon. The TP helped keep the watermelon from shifting in the pack when I moved, but I found the rolling motion of the watermelon against my lower back to be a cheap and semi-effective massage.

I do not recommend running with a watermelon in your DLBP. Walking at a gentle pace is fine, though.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Oh my gosh, I can't stop laughing!! @Janine, thank you for all of your excellent photos, humorous dialogue, and invaluable information sharing regarding DLBP as watermelon/TP transporter.

Dying of laughter over here!
    eWalker likes this.

*snort*
    My beagle/lab old dog loves watermelon. Like loses her head over watermelon. Like friends ask if they can watch her eat watermelon in the summer when they come over because she loses her mind when one is sliced open. She literally snarfles all the watermelon she can to the point where we have to stop her because too much and she'll get the squirts. So I should have had her split that melon with you Janine.

Your melon shenanigans have left me laughing my ass off over here.

This is the best stuff I've read OR "heard" all day!

Me, too. I loved it and I want some of what you're drinking/smoking/eating, Janine.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

So just to clarify @Janine, your husband thinks you wearing a backpack at dinner is noteworthy but your kids having no pants isn't even worth a notice? Ummm…..

PS I totally <3 you

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    I do not recommend running with a watermelon in your DLBP. Walking at a gentle pace is fine, though.
    For the next forum member meeting someone should arrange a Tom Bihn version of the "GORUCK CHALLENGE" involving carrying a smallish watermelon and three rolls of toilet paper a moderate distance at a leisurely pace!

Jess: thank you for your very inspiring pictures! I would not have thought that both a SE AND the rolled up Daylighter would fit into the S25 lower pocket.

Janine: where can I buy the book you have/are/will be writing? What a great way to start the day: reading about Janine's adventurers. I particularly loved where your husband did not get the little imps to wash there hands either. Well I laughed the whole time but that one reminded me of home and so it amped it up a nudge.

Ilkyway

Soooo funny Janine! Thanks for the laugh!

The brilliance on this forum does not surprise me. I am still TB-less, but I think I have found my home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janine's Husband: "Why are you wearing a backpack?"
    DLBP: "I carried a watermelon!"
    Janine's Husband: raises eyebrow and walks away
    DLBP: (mild horror) "I carried a watermelon?!"

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0