Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree1026Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack

Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    Oh why did I read this thread? I just ordered one in black Dyneema. No self control
    I am having a hard time to not let myself find a way to justify a second DLBP!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Quote Originally Posted by jess View Post
    Tell me about it. The pics of the SE in the top pocket have just about convinced me to add a SE to my order and see if I can use the daylight as my EDC for work.
    I already ordered the SE. So seeing the SE in the pocket just convinced me I had better order the Daylight to go with it.

If I understand correctly, the overlapping-pocket design was intentional - balancing the ultralight nature of the pack with the need for padding... by providing two short pockets, the wearer can put a light jacket (or Shop Bag) or maybe papers up against his/her back, as padding, and the shallow compartments keep the contents from sliding down away from the user.

Blog post

("We want to point out a design feature we’re quite proud of: shingled internal pouches/compartments that, when packed with two pieces of clothing, say, a shell jacket and a fleece or sweater, effectively create a padded back panel. ")

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    Just in case this helps visualize, here are a couple quick o ring pics. 3 in the main compartment and 2 about midway down on opposite sides of the outside slash pocket. In terms of the strap comfort, I think those straps should be comfortable with a reasonable load. The one initial impression I had is that the pack will be less forgiving feeling with pointy objects against the back panel, due to its lack of cushioning and/or depending on the owner's tolerance for feeling pointy objects against his/her back. I will try carrying it to work today, so I will have a better idea soon.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    I have been hopping for a TB sling bag for some time... It is bigger then I was considering but it may just fit the bill!!
    They did have a sling bag a couple of years ago. The Tom Bihn Buzz. The site page still works, even though you can't order it anymore. http://www.tombihn.com/PROD/TB0152.html

I occasionally see one pop up on eBay...
    eWalker likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

can anyone comment on weight with say 28 oz water bottle?

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    can anyone comment on weight with say 28 oz water bottle?
    It could easily carry that, since that would only weigh a couple of pounds. As long as you pack things in a comfortable manner, you would be fine. I carried a hardback book with a few small grocery items with no discomfort. With the tapering at the top, one cannot fit the same sorts of loads as some of the larger TB packs, but without padded straps, I don't know that I would want to carry super heavy loads. As a lightweight EDC pack though, it seems like a nice option.

Volunteer Moderator
    I carried my 13" Retina Macbook Pro, some files, my keys, my iPhone and my Side Effect in the Daylight Backpack this evening.

I hardly knew it was there.

That statement may seem dismissive and insignificant at first.

But reflect on it for a moment.

The 13" Retina Macbook Pro sat inside a Cache, which sat inside the bottom pouch in the main compartment. Nothing in the top pouch. While the Side Effect could fit inside the top pouch, that would create a bulge at the top - where the Side Effect and Cache overlap. So the Side Effect sat at the fronet part of the main compartment - at the bottom. The files sat in between the bottom pouch and the Side Effect.

Inside the Side Effect were my wallet, earphones, a small flash light, and a small multitool.

My keys were in the diagonal front zippered pocket.

I love the bleu franšais. But I can't help think that I would love to see the Daylight Backpack made with 420d Parapack.

Daylight (TB) vs. Daylite (Osprey)

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I carried my 13" Retina Macbook Pro, some files, my keys, my iPhone and my Side Effect in the Daylight Backpack this evening.

I hardly knew it was there.
    How much do you think your Daylight weighed with all of that kit in it?

I have an old Osprey Daylite day pack, which is really nice and light and could hook directly into several bigger Osprey bags (notably the Porter 46 - which I don't own - and my big ol' "backpacking backpack", an Osprey Aether 70). When I feel like a small backpack for the day, or out travelling, I grab this guy since it has a fully padded back (very comfy), has light but surprisingly supportive straps, and is generally a pretty light bag. It does look like a small active person's bag (and it is very popular with trail runners). In the bag I generally fit about max 8 lbs of kit if I'm out travelling. This usually includes an 8" Windows 8.1 tablet (so much more functional than either an iPad Mini or an Android tablet), thin packable jacket, keys, wallet, pen, drugs and sundries, portable battery pack, and the heavy stuff; a camera insert with my Olympus E-M1, 12-40 f/2.8, and typically 1-2 prime lenses. If it is a less potentially photographic occasion, I swap the camera bag out for our RX100 (if the wife isn't already carrying it). I haven't done this, but if I'm really crazy, I think I could strap my carbon fiber (~3 lbs) tripod into the bag's external pull cords, even if that puts a lot of weight on the wrong side of the bag.

Now, I'm considering the TB Daylight as a less trail running looking backpack EDC for work, and both business and leisure travel. Obviously, scrap putting the tripod in or on the bag. How comfortable do you think the Daylight would be at about 8 lbs of load? I have a PCBP (Aeronaut), but it lacks any real structure and I find it sags awkwardly if you don't have a rigid load or pack it full. Are the straps the same as the PCBP in width?

Edit: Silly goose. Forgot to subtract the weight of the bag itself. The Daylite weighs about 1 lb, so in total the load is about only 7 lbs, for a total of 8. The Daylight weighs a few ounces less, but I think we're still in the same general ballpark. Is it comfortable weighing 8 lbs or so?
    Last edited by itsablur; 07-10-2014 at 08:47 AM.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Got my first of three Tom Bihn shipments on their way to me! A DLBP in Burnt Orange, PCSB in Steel, large stuff sack in Solar, and 2 Q-Kits in Aubergine and Steel!!

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    I have an old Osprey Daylite day pack, which is really nice and light and could hook directly into several bigger Osprey bags (notably the Porter 46 - which I don't own - and my big ol' "backpacking backpack", an Osprey Aether 70). When I feel like a small backpack for the day, or out travelling, I grab this guy since it has a fully padded back (very comfy), has light but surprisingly supportive straps, and is generally a pretty light bag. ...
    Now, I'm considering the TB Daylight as a less trail running looking backpack EDC for work, and both business and leisure travel.
    That's so funny! I happened to see one of the Osprey Daylite packs at an REI a few days ago, and was instantly considering it. I'm curious to know which one packs flatter. Probably the TB version does, and it has the extra 'gh' going for it, because I'm a stickler for traditional spelling. I did add the TB Daylight to my last order and will probably end up comparing the two and deciding on one or the other.
    eWalker likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    That's so funny! I happened to see one of the Osprey Daylite packs at an REI a few days ago, and was instantly considering it. I'm curious to know which one packs flatter. Probably the TB version does, and it has the extra 'gh' going for it, because I'm a stickler for traditional spelling. I did add the TB Daylight to my last order and will probably end up comparing the two and deciding on one or the other.
    I would assume the Daylight packs flatter because of the Daylite's fully padded back panel. It does really make it comfortable though, especially with lumpy loads. The newer version lost the external bungee cords for a cleaner look (at the cost of that functionality) and I think added some internal organization like a tablet/water bladder pocket. The old version has the bladder pocket behind the back panel on the outside of the bag, but I find I can quite securely put a tablet or small laptop down there, as well as my wallet, and no one would really ever find it. Strange pick pocket avoidance system. :-P

I might have to order the Daylight for a head to head comparison as well, though returns I think are a little harder from Canada and it might just end up being I'll have to convince the wife to use whichever Daylight/Daylite I don't personally want to use... (^_-)

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by itsablur; 07-11-2014 at 03:29 AM.
    eWalker likes this.

Well, so much for "On Backorder until Late August", this whole "under promise and over deliver" business ethos is completely spoiling me ^.^
    Look at what arrived for me today!

Name:  photo 5.JPG
Views: 927
Size:  675.2 KB

Now before you start smiling and thinking "Blunder! This is the DLBP thread!", read on lol

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 676
Size:  686.7 KB

Yep! It fits perfectly! Here's a pic of the DLBP on top of the S25.

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 686
Size:  673.8 KB

And 1 more with the 2 side by side.

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 736
Size:  629.6 KB

I think this is going to change the way I pack for short trips

Daylight Backpack

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Well, so much for "On Backorder until Late August", this whole "under promise and over deliver" business ethos is completely spoiling me ^.^
    Look at what arrived for me today!
    Holy cow icebeng, you got the FB S25 in the end! And a matching DLBP They look fantastic, especially the S25. Will you be taking photos of your stuff "in the wild"?

These must be my favorite unboxing photos... Look at all that pretty blue cordura!
    Last edited by adalangdon; 07-12-2014 at 01:06 AM.
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Holy cow icebeng, you got the FB S25 in the end! And a matching DLBP They look fantastic, especially the S25. Will you be taking photos of your stuff "in the wild"?

These must be my favorite unboxing photos... Look at all that pretty blue cordura!
    Yep, I caved lol
    And what's even better is that the S25 fits just fine!

Photos in the wild? Well I could try, but honestly don't know if I can pull it off without being institutionalized lol, how do you think people here are going to react if I started taking photos of a bag in Orchard Road? :P
    Maybe when I take a trip with it overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Photos in the wild? Well I could try, but honestly don't know if I can pull it off without being institutionalized lol, how do you think people here are going to react if I started taking photos of a bag in Orchard Road? :P
    Maybe when I take a trip with it overseas.
    Load it up with stuff and get a friend to take a pic from behind of you wearing it! Or something! Anyhow, I am excited for you.

I haven't decided if I want to risk taking my orange S25 with me to MBFC. Don't want to get scolded while interning, etc., lol.
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0