Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree873Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack

As promised, here are a few photos I took with my iphone of a French Blue Daylight backpack posing in sunshine. I included a photo of it stacked on top of a WF PCBP, in a Smart Alec with a lightly packed WF PCBP, and by itself in a Smart Alec. I also filled it with a PCSB turned vertically with a water bottle next to that, a folded fleece in the bottom pocket, a trade paperback vertically oriented in the top pocket, and a SE in front of that. I figured that would give people a basic idea of the sorts of things that would fit. If I were to retake the photos or repack the bag, I would have folded the fleece as a trifold as it fits better in the bottom section without sticking up so far. I only think that the pouches will accommodate a very light jacket, as my size small women's fleece filled the bottom pouch. However, I am sure people will come up with tons of ways to organize. I just wanted to post some photos fast for folks. Name:  Daylight10.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  122.7 KBName:  Daylight1.jpg
Views: 554
Size:  154.5 KBName:  Daylight2.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  106.2 KBName:  Daylight3.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  115.2 KBName:  Daylight4.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  141.8 KB

Here are a few more photos. I also included one with a few accessories, as well as a Marseilles blue French pan, just in case that helps people for color comparison. Name:  Daylight5.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  154.8 KBName:  Daylight6.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  137.4 KBName:  Daylight7.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  147.2 KBName:  Daylight8.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  103.9 KBName:  Daylight9.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  99.5 KB

Thanks for the pics, @NWhikergal. They have amped up my TBAS to an all time high . Tomorrow and the UPS man just cannot arrive soon enough!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

NWhikergal thous pictures are great. Thanks so much. I love your cat!
    What was your impression of the Daylighter in the SA?

Ilkyway

@Ilkyway, it fits perfectly in the SA with room for a second clothing organizer (or smaller combination of organizers) with no problems. Of course, the SA always seems to easily handle more things than I imagine it will!

Great pics..I ordered one in French blue too. solar would have been a lovely interior for this bag...a fresh and light summer backpack for the beach.

It will be a while (but not too long) before I receive my French Blue DLBP, so I'm curious to hear opinions on comfort.

1) Are the straps comfy even without padding? (I think PCBP owners would also know the answer, since the straps appear to be the same);

2) How much "padding" do the tiered pockets add? Is it uncomfy to carry groceries (and other things in various shapes and sizes) in the pack without foam padding? We have zero need for jackets outdoors where I am, and I intend to use this as an add-on to hold stuff when I go shopping at the supermarket and elsewhere. Not too sure how it'll work out! I'll admit it-- I bought this bag because of colour and overall cuteness.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    It will be a while (but not too long) before I receive my French Blue DLBP, so I'm curious to hear opinions on comfort.

1) Are the straps comfy even without padding? (I think PCBP owners would also know the answer, since the straps appear to be the same);

2) How much "padding" do the tiered pockets add? Is it uncomfy to carry groceries (and other things in various shapes and sizes) in the pack without foam padding? We have zero need for jackets outdoors where I am, and I intend to use this as an add-on to hold stuff when I go shopping at the supermarket and elsewhere. Not too sure how it'll work out! I'll admit it-- I bought this bag because of colour and overall cuteness.
    I'd also be interested in these answers (I haven't bought the DLBP yet ). Degree of comfort with the webbing straps may depend on the weight and distribution of the load you are carrying, although the internal pocket design to hold items closer to your back may help here. it's also deeper than the PCBP (5.1" vs 3.5") so it can hold more, but again the comfort may depend on the weight of the items being carried.

HTH moriond

Thank you so much for the quick informative pictures. Your French Blue DLBP is lovely. I was excited to see that this pack fits nicely into the Smart Alec as that is my aim for the two bags on my next trip. 👍👍👍

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Degree of comfort with the webbing straps may depend on the weight and distribution of the load you are carrying
    Ah, yes. I should qualify my previous question. How much can you carry before the straps start digging into your shoulders, assuming the heaviest items have been distributed evenly across the bottom? Am grateful for all current and future answers

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I was told, when I called in yesterday with some color questions, that the interior of the Cordura Daylight Backpack bags were lined in Steel Parapack. I didn't ask about Gatekeeper clips + Cache with Rails, but from the pictures, description, and from the factors behind the design given on the product page, I would guess that this backpack does not use Gatekeeper clips and the rail design for caches in the interior. Instead, it seems to me to be a very light-weight backpack that extends the idea of the Packing Cube Backpack made in more durable 400d Dyneema, but shaped to work better and more comfortably as a backpack, and to provide some inside and outside pocket organization so that tablets and light laptops can be held inside in caches, with useful outer pockets.

This is only my conjecture, however. There is also the option to offer this as a lightweight backpack in other colors (Cordura) as well as the 400d Black Dyneema. In the spirit of the lighter weight and more flexible design, since they stated they were not able to add the kind of Dri-lex foam backpad that is present for the Synapse, and now for the Smart Alec, I would assume they'd capitalize on optimizing the light weight design by providing a tiered set of internal pockets for padded caches rather than a rail design. Again, this is only hypothesis on my part.

HTH. moriond
    Thanks, Moriond! You are spot-on with you description of the Daylight backpack. Have copied the specs from the TB website below. BTW, 5 O-rings as well.
    I've got a Black Dyneema Daylight Backpack coming on Tuesday, with an iPad mini cache that will fit nicely inside the smaller interior pocket, which there are 2 interior pockets, giving you 3 separate "compartments", with the 5 O-ring feather points. Seemingly simple, but in this simplicity is where the genius lay!

Daylight Backpack MATERIALS:
    Ultralight 400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop exterior — or — 1000 denier Cordura® exterior
    200 denier Dyneema®/nylon ripstop interior pockets — or — 420d HT Parapack interior pockets
    #5 YKK coil zipper with plastic sliders
    Top shelf U.S. webbing backpack straps

CONSTRUCTION:
    Made in USA
    100% finished seams

SPECIFICATIONS:
    Dimensions: 17.3 x 11.8 x 5.1 / 439 x 300 x 130 mm
    Weight:
    400d Dyneema®/420d nylon ripstop: 12.3oz / 349 grams
    1000d Cordura®:
    Volume: 1000 cubic inches / 16.5 liters (ASTM Standard Measure)
    eWalker likes this.
    Navy/Solar PILOT, w/13" MBA cache, Large Shop Bag, various colorful pouches, straps, sacks, 3D mesh, large Dyneema org. cubes and Olive SE. As always, more TB stuff on order!

Quote Originally Posted by heparker View Post
    BTW, 5 O-rings as well.
    @heparker Do you happen to know the location of those 5 O-Rings?
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 15 days to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    @heparker Do you happen to know the location of those 5 O-Rings?
    Judging by the photos, I see two on opposite edges of the interior upper pocket. You can probably safely assume one in the outside slash pocket. I would probably place one on the top of the interior much like the PCBP. The last one I would guess would be in the lower interior organization pocket.
    eWalker likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Travel Tray (Iberian), organizer wallet (Wasabi), passport pouch (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps
    Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Judging by the photos, I see two on opposite edges of the interior upper pocket. You can probably safely assume one in the outside slash pocket. I would probably place one on the top of the interior much like the PCBP. The last one I would guess would be in the lower interior organization pocket.
    Great!! Thanks @itsablur! I was thinking if we would be able to hang a 3DPC or SE on top of it like it´s possible in S19/25 for example.

From what you tell me, my guess is that will be possible!!

Thanks again!
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-03-2014 at 07:10 AM.
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 15 days to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    Here are a few more photos. I also included one with a few accessories, as well as a Marseilles blue French pan, just in case that helps people for color comparison.
    Best photos EVER! And +1 for the Le Creuset color match! That's better than Pantone, LOL!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0