Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
Like Tree1026Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    OOOH! Tell me more about this magical item! Amazon has 4 sizes. Which one do you think would be a good fit for my Nikon D3100? I don't have any extra lenses, just the one that came with the camera.

(Sorry for the hijack. Not really.)
    I did a little research, and according to what I could find, the model #ACQB33 is recommended for the Nikon D3100. That one measures 8.5 x 6.5 x 4 inches. However, that one is currently out of stock at Amazon, so what about sizing up a teensy bit to the ACQB37, which measures 9.75 x 7.5 x 4.5 inches? There is one smaller; and the one I have is the largest. I can put two mirrorless camera bodies in mine, or a camera with a second lens.

~Nancy
    Janine and Ilkyway like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I did a little research, and according to what I could find, the model #ACQB33 is recommended for the Nikon D3100. That one measures 8.5 x 6.5 x 4 inches. However, that one is currently out of stock at Amazon, so what about sizing up a teensy bit to the ACQB37, which measures 9.75 x 7.5 x 4.5 inches? There is one smaller; and the one I have is the largest. I can put two mirrorless camera bodies in mine, or a camera with a second lens.

~Nancy
    Thank you for the suggestion!

I think I might wait for the ACQB33, because I think that will fit better in my NF. I'm not in love with the camera insert of the NF (but I'm going to post all about that in my Night Fever thread later).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I am seriously considering the purchase of a Daylight backpack for carry in hot, humid climate conditions. My S25 is overkill for carrying small, but heavy binocs, small camera, sun screen, wallet, and 2 1-liter collapsible water bottles. Anyone have any idea how it feels to carry a light load for five hours? I'm assuming it's somewhat wimpish (but nonetheless cute) compared to the Synapses.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    I am seriously considering the purchase of a Daylight backpack for carry in hot, humid climate conditions. My S25 is overkill for carrying small, but heavy binocs, small camera, sun screen, wallet, and 2 1-liter collapsible water bottles. Anyone have any idea how it feels to carry a light load for five hours? I'm assuming it's somewhat wimpish (but nonetheless cute) compared to the Synapses.
    The trouble I see with that setup is that you don't have padding objects to protect your back or the water bottles for being poked by the binoculars, cameras or even the sunscreen tube or your wallet, if they have sharp corners.

However, you could use an ultra light waterproof foldable jacket and bring a couple of bandanas to wrap gel packs bought at your destination.

The chilled gel packs are going to cool you down and be squishy when melted.

When I was in the South, in the summer, I used the Packing Cube Backpack for Aeronaut, in Steel, at the time there were the only solution for a small backpack.

I expect that you will encounter the same sticky humid conditions.

While the Daylight Backpack in Dyneema is close to the weight of the PCBP, you will sorely miss the blissful drylex layer, even with just a light sweater, my PCBP felt like it was sticking to my back and a Large Cafe Bag in Cordura, worn high up messenger style, felt the same during sticky DC summers.

After those experiences, I joined the chorus for a smaller Brain Bag, that is how we got the Synapse 19.
    During my first summer with the Synapse 19, temperatures went from a dry 100 F to a humid, sticky 90 F something.

Let me tell you that there is no comparison between Dyneema or Cordura next to clothes and the lovely drylex included in both Synapses.

If at all possible, use a Synapse 19.
    Last edited by backpack; 08-11-2014 at 06:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    My personal preference would be to carry the Daylight rather than an S19, and I speak from experience of using both in for hours at a time in hot and humid conditions. Yes, my back sweated, but I was never made more uncomfortable by either bag. I got poked a few times by the corners of things that were in my Daylight. When that happened, I repacked to move the pointy edges elsewhere.

If the conditions are hot and humid, you are going to get sweaty. Drylex is nice addition to the Synapses but it won't prevent you from sweating. When I peeled my backpack off at the end of a bike ride or long walk, I preferred peeling the sweaty Daylight off my back rather than the sweaty S19. And the Daylight is an effortless carry. It's so light on its own that all you feel is the weight of the contents.

YMMV, of course. The Daylight probably isn't for everyone. (Though I don't think we've seen criticism yet on the forum. Moriond?) Given the low price point and the wide color selection, I'd say go for it!
    ncb4 and Ilkyway like this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Thanks, everyone. I'm really reluctant to spring for an S19, hence my questions about the DLBP. The sweatiness is a given in my winter travels to jungle areas of Central and South America or southern Mexico. And the binocs and camera at some point get rigged onto a harness on the front of me. Obviously if the load is not too heavy, the straps are comfortable?
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I do agree with @Janine. The Daylight is better suited to humid weather (I would know, I'm in Singapore where it is HOT HOT HUMID all freakin' year round). Because the back is floppy and flexible, it won't stick to your back as much. The Synapses' padding is, by contrast, a constant weight against your back, and if your bag is loaded up, there is no surer way to soak the back of your shirt! (Speaking from experience here.) Another thing is that if you're fussy about keeping your bags odour-free, I reckon the DLBP is easier to rinse the sweat and dirt from.

I don't use my DLBP much (it's good, but just doesn't fit my pattern of bag-use), but I think you'll be OK if you put something thin behind your bulky stuff to prevent them from poking you, like a spare t-shirt in an organiser pouch. Even magazines sufficed from my brief experience. I think the main focus should be on packing a balanced and tightly-packed load so that stuff doesn't roll around too much in the DLBP because that can be distracting and uncomfortable.

Straps are definitely good unless your load is on the heavy side (say, 5kg).
    Last edited by adalangdon; 08-11-2014 at 11:00 PM.

I think the key with the Daylight backpack is having an evenly balanced load and packing so pointy objects are not poking in the back panel. If you have a padded case for the binoculars, I would be tempted the pack the two 1 liter bottles in the bottom pouch, so that approximately 4 pounds is against your back and it should be more cushioned feeling, then the binoculars (in padded case?) in front of them in the main pack. And just figure out where the other odds and ends fit best. As long as you have the weight evenly distributed, I do not think it would be uncomfortable, though a practice pack at home might confirm best if it is compatible with your comfort level.

To be fair, the Daylight backpack has a lot more load balancing engineering than a PCB for Aeronaut.

Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    I do agree with @Janine. The Daylight is better suited to humid weather (I would know, I'm in Singapore where it is HOT HOT HUMID all freakin' year round). Because the back is floppy and flexible, it won't stick to your back as much.
    I have been using the DLBP in an island 2 degrees bellow the ecuador, so hot & humid is the rule around here, except when is hotter & sticky damp.

That reference given, there is a DLBP feature that is very nice for our kind of climate and that at first I gave no importance, and sets it higher then the PCBP, the removable waist belt.

When I received the DLBP, I thought it to be useless... hey... who needs a waist bag in such a lightweight backpack thought the naive novice TB bagger.

But decided to not remove it... as I t tried various straps lengths, the belt went from waist to chest belt but during the experiments, I found that whatever position you may find comfortable, the waist strap is fantastic to use in a hands free one shoulder single strap configuration, because it keeps the DLBP secure and slightly to the side, reducing the contact area and allowing the back to breath better.

In the weather here, specially running urban errands, that makes ALL the difference!

HTH
    Last edited by eWalker; 08-13-2014 at 11:22 AM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

I was just thinking about how much I like the color combination between my DLBP and my lunch bag. :-)

Name:  dlbp.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  286.8 KB

Having finally sprung for a DLBP, I now think I have the perfect use coming up...

Earlier this year, DH and I went to Barcelona for the marathon, and we flew via EasyJet. This was in my pre-TB days, so dealing with EasyJet's strict one-bag rule was stressful to say the least. Anyway, DH has decided to go again next year, and this time I'm prepared! Not only do I have experience packing my WF as a literal one-bagger, but I reckon the (dyneema) DLBP should fit nicely into the backpack strap pocket of the WF, thus allowing me to carry a decent-sized bag when doing the tourist thing. And I'll still have space for a SE to use as a waist pack/shoulder bag
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Ah, mountains! Our latest video all about the Daylight:

Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Ah, mountains! Our latest video all about the Daylight:

FANTASTIC VIDEO Love the angles and the music, too! Can't decide between Burnt Orange and French Blue, though, haha!
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Love it. But where are the watermelons and toilet paper?

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0