Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree1026Likes

Thread: Daylight Backpack

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    @Pokilani, so your twin to mine is arriving Thursday? Only 48 hours to go!

~Nancy
    Yes! It will be a beautiful companion to my Aubergine A30 in London. There is plenty of space for it to ride in the main compartment on the way there and serve as my day bag while out and about. If needed, it should be plenty big in the event I buy some goodies to bring home. I'm hoping to not buy many goodies though because I have spend enough even before going on the trip!
    ncb4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    LOVE THE ZIPPER-PULLS
    Thanks so much, @Ilkyway. I can tie only one kind of knot: the snake or cobra knot, I believe this one is called. And every time I do it, I have to refresh my memory with this YouTube tutorial. But now I'm hooked on colorful zipper pulls; I've got them on my A45, my Plum Brain Bag, and my Nordic Pilot. And on that blessed day in September when my Aubergine A30 and my Aubergine NF arrive, that's the first thing I will add.

Paracord pulls really do add leverage and make it easier to grab and pull the zippers, especially on bags like my Pilot where the new-style zippers are a bit more stiff and fiddly.

Though that's something else I should say about my Daylight: these zippers pull so easily. I'm really happy with that.

~Nancy
    Ilkyway likes this.

There is a thread elsewhere on the forum about "marsupial" bags; well, where is my Plum kangaroo bag. I plan to take my Brain Bag with me on my Virginia trip, and it will be stuffed to the gills as a travel bag for electronics and other non-clothes items. Rather than fold up the Daylight and stash it in of the side pockets—or maybe even in the backpack strap section of my Aubergine A45—I decided to just keep the Daylight packed, as I had it above, and simply slip it into one of the cavernous main compartments of my Brain Bag. Voila! All I have to do now is remove the Daylight and strap it on: no packing, re-packing, or unpacking necessary.

Name:  Kangaroo.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  523.2 KB

And especially for you, @Ilkyway, here is a photo of the zipper pulls on my BB.

Name:  Pulls.jpg
Views: 486
Size:  398.7 KB

You'll also note that I added split rings to the Cache rail loops. I don't have a Cache, so I don't need them for that. And the Plum Brain Bag that I got just a few weeks ago was one of the last of the "old school" models: the ones with fewer o-rings. So I added four split rings that I had lying around the house [that's why they don't all match] and I can use them to attach all sorts of Key Straps, pouches, and carabiners.

Here is with my Solar 3DCO and a long Solar Key Strap. This bag is holding first aid supplies. And come to think of it, I should really add this photo to a Brain Bag thread instead. Oh well!

~Nancy

Name:  Hack.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  212.2 KB

3. Main compartment: the Zojirushi thermal mug [16 ounces, 9 inches tall] and the Nordic Side Effect. Although the Zojirushi has a locking lid that not prevents leaks, I wanted it and the electronics to be in separate places. Another reason to secure the MBA and iPad Air in the Lower Pocket.
    I'm remembering now a thread where someone used a stuff sack secured to an o-ring in their cafe bag as a water bottle "pocket" to isolate it from the rest of the contents - wonder if that would work in the Daylight!
    ncb4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireJ View Post
    I'm remembering now a thread where someone used a stuff sack secured to an o-ring in their cafe bag as a water bottle "pocket" to isolate it from the rest of the contents - wonder if that would work in the Daylight!
    I'm sure it would, @Claire. Though it would take one of the larger Stuff Sacks to fit my 9-inch tall Zojirushi.

I apologize for the sudden glut of photos, but as you can probably tell, I'm really excited about my new Black Dyneema Daylight. Yesterday I promised/threatened to post photos of the Daylight as a camera bag, so guess what's next?

I have two relatively compact and lightweight mirrorless camera bodies—the Fuji xe-1 and Fuji xe-2. For my walks around town, I carry the little xe-1 with a 40mm pancake lens around inside my vintage Indigo Side Effect; that works well. But when I travel, I like to take along some slightly bigger lenses which don't fit well inside the Side Effect. I've been using a Small Nordic Cafe Bag for that, but wondered how the Daylight would work. Here are the results.

I have a padded Ape Case that I got from Amazon. It's a tight fit, but I can squeeze that in both my Indigo Co-Pilot and my Nordic Pilot. Well, it turns out that it's a nice fit in the Daylight as well. Because the case tapers, I did have to squish it a bit to get it past the zipper, but it slid easily into the bottom of the bag after that, and due to the unstructured nature of the Daylight, I think the Ape Case fits even better in the Daylight than it does in either the CP or the Pilot! This first photo shows the Ape with its "cover" deployed.

Name:  ApeOut.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  542.4 KB

I usually keep that tucked down around the sides, however, as this second picture shows. It also shows how I have the Daylight packed: with a filter wallet and pink sunglasses case in the Lower Pocket; and a Small Iberian Yarn Stuff Sack filled with lens cleaning goodies, a tiny Joby Gorillapod, and other accessories; and a Small Indigo OP with memory cards and a spare battery in the Upper Pocket. There is TONS of room left in the Daylight; and there is nothing in the front Zip Pocket at all, except a small Cork OP where I store the waist strap when not in use. This is very lightweight, and a breeze to carry: quite comfortable with no sense of anything hard jabbing me in the back.

Name:  Interior.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  548.3 KB

Here is a close-up of the Ape Case, which shows the xe-2 with the 50mm lens attached, and a wide angle 14mm lens in the other divider. With a backpack like the Daylight, if you're going to carry cameras or other electronics, you've got to provide the padding. The Ape Case has plenty of that, but I also have some padded wraps I could use if need be.

Name:  CloseUp.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  292.6 KB

I was taking these photos with my xe-1/40mm, but I thought I'd show you all how well the Indigo SE fits on top of the Ape Case, if I wanted to carry both camera bodies at the same time. Even fully loaded, the whole kit weighs a lot less than one of @Janine's watermelons.

Name:  IndigoSE.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  682.1 KB

I've been dedicating my Nordic Pilot to my camera gear, but now it may get lonesome because I don't know what I'll use it for. I like the Daylight so well as a camera bag that I've made up mind: I'm definitely ordering a second one in Burnt Orange.

~Nancy

Great Pictures! Funny that you apologize for pictures. Isn't that a big part of the fun around here?
    I love the Portable Culture on that indigo SE. That color is so vibrant. It looks brand new, how long do you have it, if I might ask?

Ilkyway

I know: photos are a big part of the fun. I guess I just felt suddenly shy about monopolizing this thread! Silly, I know.

I know: I love that Indigo SE, both the color and the Portable Culture label. It's the old variety with the sewn-in fabric waist band, which I don't like as much as the current design, but still, I adore this bag and will never let it go! I'm not sure how long I've had it; it's been at least three or four years, I think. See how well TB bags stand up to time and hard use?

~Nancy
    Ilkyway likes this.

Well, there's some good news and there's some bad...

I worried the black dyneema wouldn't suit me. It does.
    I worried the size of the DLBP would be too big for my petite frame. It's not.
    I worried the straps would bother into my shoulders/arms. They do not.

Good news is I'm keeping it! Bad news (for my wallet) is I'm keeping it!

Just so you know I'm not totally obsessed, I am planning to return my Steel/UV SE. I like the color combo, but the stiffness of the ballistic fabric doesn't do it for me. I know there's the black dyneema/wasabi option available, but I'm hoping for the return of parapack (with UV lining!). Unless I can get my hands on Nordic!

@Pokilani, I was wondering when your goodies would arrive. Congratulations!

I'm not at all surprised that you like the Daylight. It looks really sharp in the Black Dyneema, and in just two days I've already started to think of it as my go-to bag—and I am not usually a backpack kind of person either, so this is a testament to how disarming and charming the Daylight is. It's sad that you're sending the Steel/UV SE back, but I agree about the stiffness of the ballistic fabric. I have a gorgeous Aubergine/Wasabi SE that gets nowhere as much use as my Nordic/Solar Dyneema, because the Dyneema has so much more give.

It may be gone now, but I thought someone was offering a Nordic SE yesterday on the bag swap page. I just checked: the poster says a deal is in the works for it already. Sorry! But that's a good page to keep your eye on to find bags in discontinued colors.

Meanwhile, enjoy your new Daylight!

~Nancy

Yes, I missed out on that SE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Great Pictures! Funny that you apologize for pictures. Isn't that a big part of the fun around here?
    I love the Portable Culture on that indigo SE. That color is so vibrant. It looks brand new, how long do you have it, if I might ask?

Ilkyway
    I know: photos are a big part of the fun. I guess I just felt suddenly shy about monopolizing this thread! Silly, I know.

I know: I love that Indigo SE, both the color and the Portable Culture label. It's the old variety with the sewn-in fabric waist band, which I don't like as much as the current design, but still, I adore this bag and will never let it go! I'm not sure how long I've had it; it's been at least three or four years, I think. See how well TB bags stand up to time and hard use?

~Nancy
    @Ilkyway, @ncb4 That Indigo Side Effect of Nancy arrived in August 2011. I think it was a little after @Janine posted her pictures of the Indigo Side Effect. But the SE was actually first offered in Indigo back in 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Well, there's some good news and there's some bad...

I worried the black dyneema wouldn't suit me. It does.
    I worried the size of the DLBP would be too big for my petite frame. It's not.
    I worried the straps would bother into my shoulders/arms. They do not.

Good news is I'm keeping it! Bad news (for my wallet) is I'm keeping it!

Just so you know I'm not totally obsessed, I am planning to return my Steel/UV SE. I like the color combo, but the stiffness of the ballistic fabric doesn't do it for me. I know there's the black dyneema/wasabi option available, but I'm hoping for the return of parapack (with UV lining!). Unless I can get my hands on Nordic!
    Steel Parapack with UV Side Effects may return in a later batch, and the color is nice, but I still prefer the flexibility and texture of the Dyneema Side Effects.

moriond

I have a padded Ape Case that I got from Amazon.
    OOOH! Tell me more about this magical item! Amazon has 4 sizes. Which one do you think would be a good fit for my Nikon D3100? I don't have any extra lenses, just the one that came with the camera.

(Sorry for the hijack. Not really.)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @Ilkyway, @ncb4 That Indigo Side Effect of Nancy arrived in August 2011.
    @moriond, you continue to astound and amaze me. You're like the Great and Powerful Wizard of TB-Oz: you see all, you know all. You know more about me than I do myself! Laughing.

~Nancy
    Last edited by ncb4; 08-07-2014 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

Steel Parapack with UV Side Effects may return in a later batch, and the color is nice, but I still prefer the flexibility and texture of the Dyneema Side Effects.

moriond
    I like my dyneema a lot too, but I want something more neutral for use as a purse, if needed. I would love a steel dyneema, have they used steel as an exterior color for the SE? The black is so often paired with wasabi and while it's fine in my A30, it just doesn't rock my world. UV makes my heart sing. I would love Iberian too. I wish I could love Wasabi, but at least I don't hate it.

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0