Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast
Like Tree1162Likes

Thread: Night Flight

OH, and the A30 looks great too! I would love to see the aeronauts in person to get a feel for them. So, is it cheaper to just order and then return them or just fly from east coast to Seattle...

@NWhikergal, thanks a million for braving bees and marauding cats to get these photos to us. It wasn't until I saw your pics that I got a real sense of how petite this bag really is, and that does change my thoughts about how I might use the bag. Like you, I'm not a super-efficient packer, but I am hoping to use this at times as an overnight bag. I think I might be able to manage it. But my notions about using it as a camera bag for my mirrorless/micro 4/3 setup have gone right out the window. I agree with @itsablur and @autolycus: the shape is just too bulky to carry around all day. I think I will stick with my Co-Pilot/Pilot for my camera bags.

But I have fallen in love with these bags from your pictures, NWhikergal, so I'm ordering an Aubergine/Wasabi right now!

Thanks,

~Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    OH, and the A30 looks great too! I would love to see the aeronauts in person to get a feel for them. So, is it cheaper to just order and then return them or just fly from east coast to Seattle...
    Airfare aside, are you absolutely sure you'll be able to leave the shop with JUST the Aeronauts?? :P

Here are a few more pics, since I will admit that the whole bee incident somewhat threw me off last night. These are a few of the sorts of things one could fit on a short overnight trip (for me) with semi-efficient packing. I used limited organizers, though with them, I imagine one could fit way more. I forgot to mention in the earlier post that the outermost pockets are really nice in that they somehow magically cut them with extra material (think Synapse) so there is expanse room that does not seem to detract from the outer pockets.

Here I packed a pair of jeans, two short sleeved Ibex shirts, a long sleeved shirt, ultralight jacket, luna sandals, a buff, and a 3-1-1 kit in the main compartment. In one side compartment I packed a side effect and sun hat, and in the outermost I have several snack packs. On the other side I fit Bose headphones, an ipad mini in hardcase, and a kindle paperwhite in that inner sleeve pocket, then I fit a padded sunglasses case in the outermost pocket. For what it is worth, I do wear a women's small though!

While I did not really review the A30, I have to say that I think that may be true love for me. I am just so happy to finally be able to have an Aeronaut that will fit me, since the A45s felt too big to me. That main compartment easily swallowed up an Eagle Creek 15 inch packing folder, one of their ultralight clothes organizers, a long and skinny organizer, etc. Since its depth does not feel that great, it was extremely stable to wear loaded, and I did not feel unwieldy like a turtle. And the harness hugged me so well, that I did not even feel like I needed the hip belt, though if I really loaded it up, I would certainly wear it. I also LOVE the cushiony grip or pull handle when it is oriented upright. I tried wearing it around the house for a bit, and the cats looked at me as if they were unimpressed, but I know they wished they had their own little packs.

Name:  NF B1.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  127.8 KBName:  NF B2.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  139.4 KBName:  NF B.jpg
Size:  113.3 KB

The cat picture.... That is pure Tom Bihn forum gold...

Thank you for providing the pictures of the night flight.... I ordered one in aubergrine, and plan to mainly use it as a personal item (I fly about 6-8 times a year, depending) but also for car trips and so forth. I am super excited to see it in person. I assumed it would be small, given the measurements, but it's always different when you actually see it, right?

I'd like to hear how the NFTD carries. Does it bounce against the body excessively when walking? Would you have to keep one hand on it constantly?

@NWhikergal, I also have 1 other rather frivolous question: do you think your cats would object to being carried around in the NFTD?
    With the top open, of course, like what he's doing in the photo. I definitely DON'T mean stuff him in then zipping the bag shut.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    I'd like to hear how the NFTD carries. Does it bounce against the body excessively when walking? Would you have to keep one hand on it constantly?
    I am also curious about this.
    eWalker likes this.

@icebeng and @luvdabags, I did not notice it bouncing around when I was walking, but I did not take it for a long walk in my house. I will have to revisit that.

@icebeng, I agree with you, I would never, ever zip a pet in a bag like that since they might suffocate or have a heat stroke. As for walking around like that...My big cat, who is rather change averse, would never go for that. The one time I tried putting a harness and leash on her so we could go for a walk outdoors, she flopped over like a fainting goat, and we both decided that my dragging her limply was quite unsatisfactory. The easygoing black kitty might not mind, but since she is a jumper, I might not trust her as she would likely make a break for it and go for a walkabout. I think dogs are generally a little more easygoing about adapting to these sorts of things, lol. For what it is worth, if I left the bag open and unattended, I have a feeling the black kitty might curl up in there like a cat pie.

@NWhikergal
    Thanks for the answer, I think a few of us are curious about how it carries due to its rather...stout?(but still cute!) shape.

I have a friend who carries her cat to gatherings with her, in a tote (It's not TB, and I estimate it to be like 2x the size of the Swift), her cat is a scaredy cat though, so it spends the journey hiding. I was thus wondering if yours might enjoy being ferried around.
    I think you just hit upon another possible use for the NFTD. Makeshift cat bed lol, perfectly sized at that!
    And with padding!

@NWhikergal. Thanks for posting your pictures. I also loved the cat pic. I still have to wait til next Wednesday for mine to be delivered so for now I'm enjoying your pictures and imagining uses for my future bag.

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    Here are a few more pics, since I will admit that the whole bee incident somewhat threw me off last night. These are a few of the sorts of things one could fit on a short overnight trip (for me) with semi-efficient packing. I used limited organizers, though with them, I imagine one could fit way more. I forgot to mention in the earlier post that the outermost pockets are really nice in that they somehow magically cut them with extra material (think Synapse) so there is expanse room that does not seem to detract from the outer pockets.

Here I packed a pair of jeans, two short sleeved Ibex shirts, a long sleeved shirt, ultralight jacket, luna sandals, a buff, and a 3-1-1 kit in the main compartment. In one side compartment I packed a side effect and sun hat, and in the outermost I have several snack packs. On the other side I fit Bose headphones, an ipad mini in hardcase, and a kindle paperwhite in that inner sleeve pocket, then I fit a padded sunglasses case in the outermost pocket. For what it is worth, I do wear a women's small though!

While I did not really review the A30, I have to say that I think that may be true love for me. I am just so happy to finally be able to have an Aeronaut that will fit me, since the A45s felt too big to me. That main compartment easily swallowed up an Eagle Creek 15 inch packing folder, one of their ultralight clothes organizers, a long and skinny organizer, etc. Since its depth does not feel that great, it was extremely stable to wear loaded, and I did not feel unwieldy like a turtle. And the harness hugged me so well, that I did not even feel like I needed the hip belt, though if I really loaded it up, I would certainly wear it. I also LOVE the cushiony grip or pull handle when it is oriented upright. I tried wearing it around the house for a bit, and the cats looked at me as if they were unimpressed, but I know they wished they had their own little packs.

Name:  NF B1.jpg
Size:  127.8 KBName:  NF B2.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  139.4 KBName:  NF B.jpg
Size:  113.3 KB
    WOW, that's a lot to fit into what others have called a tiny bag. Just perfect for overnighting or hitting the gym. I always pack my iPad Mini with me, so it's great to know that it'll fit into the sleeve pocket up top. I'm so glad I purchased this bag now...now to save up for the next big purchase, the A30. I tried it and the A45 on in the store the other day and have to say that the A30 looks like it could handle the job of more expansive travel packing with ease on a petite person such as myself (I'm not even 5'0" tall).

Thanks bunches again for your photos! Cannot wait for my Black Dyneema/Wasabi NFTD and organizer pouches to make their way to me (not like I keep checking my email for shipping notices or anything).
    Bags I Want: Dyneema A30

Current Bags: Black Dyneema/Wasabi CP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi NFTD w/2 packing cubes, Hemp Swift, Cork Swift, Cork LS, LSB, SSB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi LCB, Black Dyneema/Solar SCB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi SE, Size 1 Stuff Sack, TT, Plenty of YSS, Q-Kit, bunches of pouches

NWhikergal - your black kitty looks like he could be twins with mine. Luckily he isn't too interested in luggage - at least not yet. My previous cat knew I was traveling when I used to get one backpack out - and would sleep on it. He also made himself at home in rolling suitcase once and I really had to keep an eye on him when packing.

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    @NWhikergal, thanks a million for braving bees and marauding cats to get these photos to us. It wasn't until I saw your pics that I got a real sense of how petite this bag really is, and that does change my thoughts about how I might use the bag. Like you, I'm not a super-efficient packer, but I am hoping to use this at times as an overnight bag. I think I might be able to manage it. But my notions about using it as a camera bag for my mirrorless/micro 4/3 setup have gone right out the window. I agree with @itsablur and @autolycus: the shape is just too bulky to carry around all day. I think I will stick with my Co-Pilot/Pilot for my camera bags.
    In my non-stop quest for the perfect bag for each possible usage scenario (the NoSQueF PeB FEPUS?), I am leaning toward ordering the NFTD in black dyneema and giving it a go as a camera bag/travel bag. The co-pilot is nearly perfect but the main compartment just isn't quite deep enough to handle a padded insert and my gripped EM-5. It works ok because the dyneema (200d in my case) conforms and bulges pretty well, but it's not perfect, and my NoSQueF PeB FEPUS demands perfection--or it wouldn't definitionally be a a QuefPeB! I'm sure I'll end up keeping even if I just use it as a standard, non-camera personal item, car/emergency/etc., or small-stuff bag for road trips.

I do think I'm going to stray from Bihnville and go old school for the bag I compare to the NFTD: I can't help but keep looking at photos of the Billingham Hadley line and it's timeless game/fish bag style.

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    I do think I'm going to stray from Bihnville and go old school for the bag I compare to the NFTD: I can't help but keep looking at photos of the Billingham Hadley line and it's timeless game/fish bag style.
    Those are really lovely bags... People also seem to really like the ThinkTank Retrospective lineup of camera shoulder bag, which is like nouveau old school, or Domke bags, which are actual old school.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

@NWhikergal, Your second series of pictures were VERY helpful. I am basically a two-bag traveller, one bag for clothing and what not and one bag as a personal item. It looks like it might be doable to roll and pack 3 pairs of long tech pants, 6 qwik dry tops, sandals, 3 socks, 5 unders and 2 bras, in there, utilizing the side pockets......hmmmmmmm. All the rest could go in my Pilot. Does it/can it sport an Absolute Shoulder strap?
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0