Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree1172Likes

Thread: Night Flight

Quote Originally Posted by Illum View Post
    Probably not. Virtually none of the TB bags have slots. (only one I am aware of is Western Flyer -- but that version is often not in stock.). I guess their designers are anti wheel!
    Other bags with roller board slots include the Cadet, Zephyr and Empire Builder.

I stand corrected. I've only seriously looked at tb luggage and backpacks, not messengers and briefcases.
    Last edited by Illum; 07-09-2014 at 05:24 PM.

Am I the only person that noticed pictures are up of the NF in Black Dyneema/Wasabi?! It's gorgeous! I also noticed Aubergrine photos too. I hope this means my pre-order is that much closer to being on its way to my home!
    Bags I Want: Dyneema A30

Current Bags: Black Dyneema/Wasabi CP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi NFTD w/2 packing cubes, Hemp Swift, Cork Swift, Cork LS, LSB, SSB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi LCB, Black Dyneema/Solar SCB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi SE, Size 1 Stuff Sack, TT, Plenty of YSS, Q-Kit, bunches of pouches

ETA: I got too excited while browsing the Aeronaut 30, no new photos for the NF. Pooh.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Current Bags: Black Dyneema/Wasabi CP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi NFTD w/2 packing cubes, Hemp Swift, Cork Swift, Cork LS, LSB, SSB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi LCB, Black Dyneema/Solar SCB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi SE, Size 1 Stuff Sack, TT, Plenty of YSS, Q-Kit, bunches of pouches

JLE
    Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Looking at the few pictures there are, it does not appear to. In the side profile shot, the back panel (left side of photo) looks completely flat. You can make out what looks to be identical panelling to the front of the bag; two side panel hips and the wrap around zippers for the end pockets, the seam for the top panel and back side of the grab handle, and a single center panel which tapers to the bottom. The taper kind of makes a pass through sleeve/pocket unlikely in my opinion (a sleeve should be wide and straight to support rolling luggage handles).

Would have been a nice feature. Hopefully it's flat, squat, rectangular shape makes it sit on a rolling luggage top pretty easily as is, and you could try securing the bag by passing the luggage handle through the NFTD handles or shoulder strap.
    I suppose if the narrowest dimension of the main compartment (ie at the base) is not wide enough it would be a non starter but otherwise presumably it would be feasible even though the back panel of the main compartment is not square - just add zippers to adjust the width of the top and bottom opening. Bottom zipper could be closed like on the other bags to create an additional external pocket.

This seems like a bag that SHOULD have this feature given how I imagine many people might use it.

Photos?

Anyone receive a Night Flight yet that could post a photo?

Especially in
    Name:  wile.jpg
Views: 1013
Size:  16.2 KB
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Smile

No photos or bag as of yet.

One interesting note; the Black Dyneema/Wasabi version is now backordered til late September.

I will be posting photos here as well as Ravelry once my sweet, sweet Night Flight makes it's way to my house (which will probably be among the first since I live about an hour away from the factory/store front).
    Last edited by pinkknits; 07-12-2014 at 06:11 PM.

Super Moderator
    The video for the Night Flight is one of my favorites; I can't say it "sold me on it," because that would have been true without the video, but still. I have not yet been stopped on United, but, knowing that my bags will fit fine in the overhead or under-seat even when (overstuffed, sometimes) they're hard to squeeze into the sizer, I also try to be an inconspicuous carrier-aboard. My underseat bag has sometimes been a backpack that's a bit bigger than ideal, but still does *fit* under the seat well enough that I've never been questioned. One reason I like black bags is that they seem to look smaller than they are, and soft bags simiiarly don't raise as many eyebrows as hard-sided ones when it comes to exact dimensions. (I am not proud, sometimes my "Maximum Carry On" bags get slightly beyond that range as well.)

Anyone who gets an early NF, I echo similar requests for pictures of it next to other bags (Aeronaut, Tristar, especially, but any ...).

The Night Flight, though, I expect will be easier to use even with a slightly smaller total volume -- and a slightly smaller total volume is a good thing, too, for making it hard to overpack. Since I have a Tri-Star (which is my larger bag for an upcoming trip to Portland), that and the NF will make a great combo for trips of 5-7 days.
    Last edited by timothy; 07-12-2014 at 09:14 PM. Reason: missing a few words

I would also like to know the dimensions of the Night Flight main pocket as well as the sides. If the end pockets are each 3.5" then that would make the main pocket 10" (10x10x9).

Also, how light or dark is the Navy? In some pictures (TS) it looks almost blue rather than Navy.

It is definitely navy. Due to the sheen of ballistic, some pics make it look lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Amateur View Post
    I would also like to know the dimensions of the Night Flight main pocket as well as the sides. If the end pockets are each 3.5" then that would make the main pocket 10" (10x10x9).

Also, how light or dark is the Navy? In some pictures (TS) it looks almost blue rather than Navy.
    Judging by the Night Flight packing cube, which has dimensions of 7.9" x 5.9" x 3.5", that estimation seems pretty reasonable. You would lose a little space in general because external dimensions do not equal internal dimensions, and there is a removable foam pad on the bottom of the main compartment which undoubtedly eats a little of the vertical (1/4" probably).

And from my experience with ballistic nylon Navy, it really is navy. Many of the BN fabrics seems to look lighter depending on the light. I have a Steel BN organizer pouch that looks dark charcoal, but looking at Steel bags online, they can look almost silvery grey (... steel).
    eWalker likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkknits View Post
    Am I the only person that noticed pictures are up of the NF in Black Dyneema/Wasabi?! It's gorgeous! I also noticed Aubergrine photos too. I hope this means my pre-order is that much closer to being on its way to my home!
    Hmmm, just checked the NF page and didn't see it,
    All I see are the original 7 photos in black ballistic.
    I seem to remember having an issue like this in the past,
    When looking on my ipad.
    :-/

( I shut the ipad on and off, and cleared the "cookies", any other remedies?)
    Last edited by Trailhiker; 07-14-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    eWalker likes this.

Trailhiker look at the post directly under the post you quoted. I had the same moment of confusion.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Our Seattle factory crew has amazed us yet again: some Night Flight backorders will ship by the end of this week.

Name:  nightflightbackorder.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  84.9 KB
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Our Seattle factory crew has amazed us yet again: some Night Flight backorders will ship by the end of this week.

Name:  nightflightbackorder.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  84.9 KB

Amazing! Can't wait for the user photos!
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0