Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Like Tree1174Likes

Thread: Night Flight

Quote Originally Posted by vivelly View Post
    Just arrived in the mail.

Attachment 7958

To distract myself from ordering same named item I will keep myself busy and away from enablers and read this book instead....
    vivelly, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person attempting this. I got a collection of Saint-Exupéry's books from my town library, and read a few pages every time I start to think the words "Night Flight". I'm finding it very interesting and I'm glad I have this reason to read it, but I'm a bit worried that I'll start to associate the bag with books in general, and I'm certainly not going to be able to stop reading books entirely!

Quote Originally Posted by autolycus View Post
    In my non-stop quest for the perfect bag for each possible usage scenario (the NoSQueF PeB FEPUS?), I am leaning toward ordering the NFTD in black dyneema and giving it a go as a camera bag/travel bag. The co-pilot is nearly perfect but the main compartment just isn't quite deep enough to handle a padded insert and my gripped EM-5. It works ok because the dyneema (200d in my case) conforms and bulges pretty well, but it's not perfect, and my NoSQueF PeB FEPUS demands perfection--or it wouldn't definitionally be a a QuefPeB! I'm sure I'll end up keeping even if I just use it as a standard, non-camera personal item, car/emergency/etc., or small-stuff bag for road trips.
    I received my black dyneema NFTD today. I fiddled with it only briefly and hope to try some different things later, possibly this weekend, possibly not for a couple weeks because of work travel. I think it will not end up being suited to carrying a camera around during the day. However, it seems like an excellent size for a car road trip for all the loose stuff, including a camera setup, that I always want within reach but contained. Might really be ideal for a scenic road trip with photo stops because the large opening and padding would make grabbing the camera easy and having it in the bag would provide some protection in case you have to make a hard stop or are enjoying a winding road. Also would be easy enough to grab the bag with camera, some drinks, etc. for a rest break. The size pockets are much larger than I expected and could fit an entire lunch.

There is even more organization than I realized. The larger side pockets actually have organizer pockets similar to the ones in the main compartment on the co-pilot (and pilot?). It's one pocket per zippered side and they're against the wall shared with the main center pocket.

I think my one "complaint" about the bag is that I'm not sure I like where the shoulder strap connect points are. I think they have to be where they are, but I found the shoulder strap kept getting in the way of the zippers and pocket access. This shoulder strap seems freakishly stiff compared to the one that came with my co-pilot a few years ago and with the one on my Founder's Briefcase. That isn't helping the in-the-way-ness because the strap doesn't seem to want to fall out of the way like my co-pilot's strap does. I'm sure it will loosen with time, but for now I can get it to stand upright.
    Last edited by autolycus; 08-06-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    ncb4 likes this.

I just got the night flight in navy but the navy is a bit off for me... not sure that I like this flavor of navy vs say the daylight backpack I just got which is a shade darker and the perfect shade of navy IMHO.

I'm thinking of returning this for a black dyneema version or just a black 1050. Can anybody comment on the dyneema version and whether or not it holds it's shape as nicely as the 1050 version? Also, the page for the night flight doesn't have weight differences between dyneema and 1050 I'm assuming it's negligible?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tangfj View Post
    I just got the night flight in navy but the navy is a bit off for me... not sure that I like this flavor of navy vs say the daylight backpack I just got which is a shade darker and the perfect shade of navy IMHO.

I'm thinking of returning this for a black dyneema version or just a black 1050. Can anybody comment on the dyneema version and whether or not it holds it's shape as nicely as the 1050 version? Also, the page for the night flight doesn't have weight differences between dyneema and 1050 I'm assuming it's negligible?

Thanks!
    I ordered both ballistic - what I thought would be the keeper - and Dyneema. I opted to keep Dyneema as it is so flexible especially the end pockets. Beware though that if you don't keep the padding flat insert in the Dyneema version, it will flop over - see my separate post in another thread on Frieda's pet cat in Peanuts. That said, the Dyneema is gorgeous and to me weight difference was surprisingly negligible. I hadn't expected ballistic to be so light.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    if you don't keep the padding flat insert in the Dyneema version, it will flop over
    That's what I was afraid of... I may need to order one of each as well and make the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by tangfj View Post
    That's what I was afraid of... I may need to order one of each as well and make the decision.
    In this case, I do think the side-by-side comparison is worth it so you can judge the merits of each material for yourself. Please keep us updated on your decision; it is helpful to know how other people use the NFTD (and TB bags in general).

Can i use this as my purse or "personal item"? I fly internationally( Can->USA) only, I'm gone for months, so I need to bring a wheeled carry on suitcase as well as my checked bag. Was wondering if I can bring this too, and call it my purse or is it too big?

Quote Originally Posted by TOBaggirl View Post
    Can i use this as my purse or "personal item"? I fly internationally( Can->USA) only, I'm gone for months, so I need to bring a wheeled carry on suitcase as well as my checked bag. Was wondering if I can bring this too, and call it my purse or is it too big?
    Check the personal item size limits for your airline to be 100% sure but the Night Flight should be allowed as it is small enough to fit under the seat in front of you.

I'm planning to use mine for a personal item on a flight next month with my Aeronaut as my carry on.

Aeronaut 45 & Night Flight TD - Aubergine / Wasabi
    Go Tigers!
    T1D

Super Moderator
    The Night Flight is specifically designed to fit the personal-item requirements (as of 2014 AD) of United Airlines, at 17x10x9" ... if your flights are an airline with the same / greater allowed carry-on size (or, let's face it, probably anything close to these ), it should work well as a personal item.

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with this bag and an iPad air. I went through this thread and it looks like the only way it fits in laying it horizontal but standing (if that makes sense). Would it fit laying flat in the main compartment? Laying it on its side standing looks like it puts pressure on the bag itself (and possibly opening it to more chance of damage in a small drop)

Thank you for any input

I would guess the NFTD is not ideal for the iPad Air. Here's the iPad MINI in various configurations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Thank you, was worried it wouldn't be. Oh well, I think I will just wait for the pilot

So (after LOTS of dithering), I think I have decided to return my aubergine/wasabi A30 (I ordered both the A30 and A45 because I couldn't decide between them) and will purchase the NFTD instead, to use as an overnight bag/personal item/gym bag. I've read through the whole thread, but am still not sure if my women's size 8.5/9 sneakers will fit in the NFTD. Can anyone enlighten me? And, yes, I will of course be ordering aubergine/wasabi as I do need at least one purple bag :-)

(PS -- I am also guessing based on the iPad photos that an 11" Macbook Air won't fit in the middle pocket. But I would love to be wrong).

Does anybody know if this will fit in an end compartment of the Night Flight. It's dimensions are 8.5x6.5x3.5 which are only a little bigger than the CQPC's dimensions of 7.8x6.7x3 which does fit in an end compartment. Does anyone have suggestions of a similar product what would fit?

Thanks.

Aeronaut 45 & Night Flight TD - Aubergine / Wasabi
    Go Tigers!
    T1D

I put this in the end pocked of my Night Flight and it just fit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HWG...&pi=SY200_QL40

moriond and jalegg like this.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0