Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
Like Tree1141Likes

Thread: Night Flight

A follow-up on my specter post: you can comfortably fit 2 half cubes in the main compartment and not cut into the end compartment space where another half cube can fit. I have 3 days left to practice pack before the real deal. Looking forward to braving the ATL layover with the NFTD. I can't tell you how many times I've had to run in this particular airport, or walk to the completely opposite end.

In another post (@moriond help me), someone questioned why you would need the entire arsenal of TB. Well, sometimes I go to conferences sans computer (WF), other times it's BYOD for presenters (TS), and sometimes you have something oddly sized and really need to bring out the big guns (A45). In this case, it's a summer trip and it's easy to travel light. Most importantly, it works for me. If you don't travel a lot or always take the same type of trip, maybe you do only need one bag. But there's a certain flair in knowing these bags inside and out and choosing the one(s) that compliment your journey. The same care and thought that went into the design and production of each bag goes into my consideration of which bags I want to own and use.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    The same care and thought that went into the design and production of each bag goes into my consideration of which bags I want to own and use.
    I absolutely love this @kkintea! Precisely describes my thought process as I organize, and then reorganize my bags and pouches
    kkintea likes this.
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    This is a very helpful post and pix! I pack my rolled travel clothes entirely in EC 1/2 cubes. Being very much larger, it takes me 2 of these, one for tops and one for bottoms and a merino base layer. I can see that two of these would stack in the bag. Hmmmmmm....underwear, socks, and sandals in the outer pockets. Minimalist, ultra-light warm weather travel....all the other "stuff" could go in the Pilot.
    Well, after looking at this little bag in the store on Friday, it is very clear that it cannot handle my big clodhopper sandals in any of the compartments. I wear a women's size 10.5 to 11 shoe. Sigh.....
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Well, after looking at this little bag in the store on Friday, it is very clear that it cannot handle my big clodhopper sandals in any of the compartments. I wear a women's size 10.5 to 11 shoe. Sigh.....
    @monkeylady The end pockets of the Aeronaut 30 would do an excellent job with women's size 10.5 to 11 shoes, if you're looking to downsize your travel bags.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    I have CP and just bought the DLBP for dh as plane personal items, so dont think I need this, but it is so cute!
    Will be curious to see hiw people who already have a Cp will use it.
    @Hawaii, I have the same question and will report my impressions when the NFTD arrives later today. It is indeed super cute but quite small when seen at the Store Friday. I think that I would use the NFTD when carrying my Nikon SLR and the CP when I am not.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Name:  10343480_10202352384187894_763115521508843616_n.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  89.8 KB

I took my Night Flight on a day flight this weekend... my kids and I traveled on our friendly local military space-available flight on a nice cargo plane. NFTD was a fantastic travel companion. Aside from the previously discussed issue of it not holding a regular iPad, I was able to carry everything I needed for myself during the 6 hour flight. I had my SE with purse stuff, a medium DOP to hold papers, a pouch with diapers, a pack of wipes, three pairs of ear buds and a splitter in a Q-kit, chap stick and hand sanitizer in another Q-kit, a knitting project, my Nook in it's sleeve, some gum, hearing protection earmuffs, a fleece shirt (women's XL, and it fit handily in the side pocket) and my phone. I kept snacks in the small shop bag...lots of snacks and water. No snack service on a cargo plane.

Hi guys, do you know what size stuff sack would fit in the NFTD divider comparments? as shown in the NFTD promotional video.

Aren't the dividers configurable? I think you can adjust them to fit whatever you want.

Super Moderator
    UPS notice just now: Night Flight is on the way. That sure beats "late September" -- by enough that it can go with me on the next trip, actually, which is excellent. I'm glad I don't *need* to, but each time I jam my car full for a road trip, I realize I should pack a bit more as I do for a plane trip instead A big bag (Aeronaut or Tri-Star) and the Night Flight on the front seat would be a good combination ...

Just arrived in the mail.

Name:  2014-08-06 16.38.48_resized.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  140.7 KB

To distract myself from ordering same named item I will keep myself busy and away from enablers and read this book instead....

Oh how I wished the other same named item would have arrived today instead...
    Ilkyway likes this.

Mine is out for delivery today. I got it to match my TriStar. Will post photos once it gets here. Good thing I am off to my weaving workshop for most of the day. Keeps me from stalking the UPS man.

Actually went somewhere! Did a weekend trip and used the NFTD and Side Effect. I wore the Side Effect cross body and used the standard shoulder strap that comes with the Night Flight. It was a great combination and so light, I walked around with no problem. The standard strap is really good strap for light loads. It doesn't slip or anything. I considered using my Absolute Strap, but the bag was so light, seemed overkill.

I flew on an MD80 to my destination and an EJ-145 on my return (both aisle seats). The NFTD fit nicely under seats of both. In fact, on the aisle seat of the EJ-145 (where there is shared space/no divider), I turned it sideways and it didn't infringe on the space of my seat mate (who had really long legs).

I attempted to take a photo, but I'm a lousy photographer (even using an iPhone camera). So, sorry - no photographic evidence.

Uh oh. I just noticed that the Aubergine/Wasabi NFTD is back in stock. Don't get me wrong - I'm excited for the arrival of my Steel NF, but I just wish it had a little bit of COLOR. I need someone to take my credit card so I don't purchase both!
    Ilkyway likes this.

So my Night Flight arrived today.

I'll be honest, initially when I opened the box I was like "it's really short and wide." And my face kinda fell.
    But I sat down and worked on packing it and I got most of my normal carry on items in it. One thing-- those side pockets are deeper than you think and the middle is smaller than you think.

First of all, a regular sized iPad just doesn't fit. My guess is I will stick it in one of my Tri star pockets when I travel with the Night Flight.

I bought an end packing cube to hold all my food items. Because I have celiac disease, food is the one the thing I tend to overpack. I always make sure to have enough to survive 24 hours stuck somewhere. Not in the most optimal way, but usually in the form of fruit, Larabars, nuts, small packets of peanut butter, etc.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  364.8 KB

It's only about half full there. I would usually add two small apples and some boiled eggs to it.

Here's the night flight with normal carry on items for me

Views: 303
Size:  361.9 KB

Includes is my side effect with purse stuff, Bob the traveling beaver, my needlepoint kit in my double zipper pouch (which I love to no end) an iPod, two knitting projects (one sock, one lace) a kindle, a huge paperback book, and a cross stitch kit. And a Harpers magazine. The Harpers magazine did not fit in any way without being significantly smashed or folded so I ended up leaving it out. (In case you are wondering why kindle and a book, well screens make me queasy on the plane, so usually I take a big, trashy book for airplane reading, and then read off the kindle once I get wherever I am going. I read fast, really really fast, so the plane books have to be around 500+ pages because I cane easily tear through 3-400 on a three hour flight-- which is how long is takes to get basically to anywhere in the US max from Texas. I don't know why I can read a printed book and be okay, but that's how it works.I have been known to run out of book reading while waiting for a connection, hand off the trashy book I have just finished to a fellow passenger who wants it and run to an airport bookstore to buy a new one)

Views: 306
Size:  447.1 KB

Food in packing cube in one end pocket, book and kindle and cross stitch in other end pocket, and everything else in the middle.

Some thoughts: this is likely a great bag for road trips (I could see it holding what you need to have next to you when driving solo for hours) and the leisure traveler. Not great if you need anything notebook or paper size (just plain old won't work.) large knitting projects won't fit either if you need to have room for anything else in the middle. But I think it will work for my non-business travel, and certainly for car travel (I do lots of long solo car trips.) it could also work as an overnight bag if you are not needing a different pair of shoes.

I'll post a packing list and later a review after I use it next week on my short jaunt to visit my parents. A non work trip, and I'll be flying American so I'll see if they are enforcing all the carry on rules (who I rarely fly, but they had a cheap ticket that I snatched up. It's a long weekend to see my elderly folks in California, and it's a surprise. They don't know I'm coming.) I plan mostly to use this alongside my TriStar.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0