Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Like Tree1162Likes

Thread: Night Flight

Glad I read this thread - I was thinking the Night Flight would be great for my husband, but the iPad issue is a deal-breaker for him. Now the fun of exploring all the bags all over again can begin!
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Washu View Post
    Glad I read this thread - I was thinking the Night Flight would be great for my husband, but the iPad issue is a deal-breaker for him. Now the fun of exploring all the bags all over again can begin!
    @Washu, for traveling with a full-sized ipad or laptop, or if I need to transport paperwork (or larger, slim rectangular objects), my Pilot has become my bag that rules them all as a personal bag option in these scenarios. So that might be worth consideration. I also appreciate the Pilot's ability to accommodate a decent sized water bottle.

While creative minds will likely come up with lots of great scenarios for the NFTD, I think it might excel as a camera bag, for super minimalist packers for trips, for car trips or other sorts of day trips, or scenarios where one needs to corral lots of smaller items or objects. For business type settings that require binders or laptops, the main compartment simply is not big enough. However, the end pockets do easily fit ipad minis, kindles, full sized Bose headphones, etc, so for lighter weight business travelers it might work, except for anything like binders.

Just my two cents!
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-23-2014 at 09:16 AM.
    eWalker likes this.

I will add to this that the padded organizer takes up precious space - affords a nice divided space and cushioning for lenses, but I don't have camera gear to test it out. I could also see it holding jewelry or art projects that need cushioning. The Velcro separates the panels of the grid so you can configure it in different ways.
    eWalker likes this.

@washu, I was going to suggest the Pilot, also, although "technically" it does not meet carryon dimensions. I doubt it would be questioned unless you had a very strict airline or agent, though. The full sized iPad fits easily in a Co-pilot as well. As with most things, it depends on what you want the bag for. If you plan to pack some clothes and toiletries in addition to the iPad, you might find the Co-pilot too small, but IMHO it is ideal for an under seat bag holding what you want to access during a flight if you don't need a laptop.
    eWalker likes this.

I would have liked to use this bag for a micro-4/3 camera setup, but the inability to easily hold an iPad Air makes it a poor choice for me. Also, the interior dividers can only go front to back and not side to side, which makes it a little less useful for camera gear. I might still get one for other uses. Camera gear only makes sense with the use of other pouches (I use Op-Tech).
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Em View Post
    @washu, I was going to suggest the Pilot, also, although "technically" it does not meet carryon dimensions. I doubt it would be questioned unless you had a very strict airline or agent, though. The full sized iPad fits easily in a Co-pilot as well. As with most things, it depends on what you want the bag for. If you plan to pack some clothes and toiletries in addition to the iPad, you might find the Co-pilot too small, but IMHO it is ideal for an under seat bag holding what you want to access during a flight if you don't need a laptop.
    Whether or not the Pilot is within personal item dimensions depends entirely on your airline of choice. The Pilot is well within Air Canada's definition of a personal item (max 17" x 13" x 6"). British Airways is 18" x 14" x 8". American and US Air don't give firm definitions other than to say it has to be smaller than your carry on (duh), and fit under the seat, both of which the Pilot and NFTD should do fine, depending on seating configuration (curse you video on demand box!). Odd how United picked a rather squat rectangular shape (17" x 10" x 9") when most other airlines seem to use similar linear dimensions, but in more of a longer, narrower briefcase arrangement. Neither will technically qualify as a personal item on Lufthansa if the Gate Attendant is being picky/technical since their limit is 16" x 12" x 4".

Still, when you are pretty close to the measurements in either case, it would have to be a real stickler GA to reject your bag (assuming you didn't over stuff it so that you could cram it into whatever shape bag sizer you have to deal with). I think the narrow profile of the Pilot and Co-Pilot works to their advantage when you get into the inches game since they look much smaller than they probably are. The NFTD might have a harder time stuffing into the more briefcase oriented bag sizers if it really came down to it.
    Last edited by itsablur; 07-23-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    eWalker likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. He has decreed that the Co-Pilot is a little small for his use (I have one as my EDC for work right now, so he sees it every day), so I've been thinking the Pilot may be the way to go. But, he also likes backpacks, and messenger bags, he's pretty open-minded as long as his iPad (or occasionally his Macbook) will fit. Like I said - now we get the fun of revisiting all the bags on the website!
    eWalker likes this.

My Night Flight came today and since I'm babysitting my grand daughter, I played around putting baby items in it. The baby is a little too big for the NF, but I couldn't resist it.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  461.2 KB The second picture is the NFTD filled with baby items, my iPad Air and my Kindle Fire HDX. In the center compartment is a folded large shopping bag, a CQPC with diapers, wipes, a ointment, and standing up in the back, my iPad Air in a cache. It is a tight fit standing up but it did work.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Missy; 07-23-2014 at 02:15 PM.

Missy, that is so CUTE! This is one of the rare pictures where the bag is not able to steel all the attention.

This picture shows everything that fit in the NFTD; extra change of clothes, bib, and blanket in a packing cube. In the other packing cube is Sophie the giraffe, a book, and supplement formula. There was plenty of room for everything and more could fit. The only thing that was tight was the iPad, but I would still be comfortable keeping it in there while traveling. I wouldn't use this as an everyday diaper bag (I use a Swift for that),but as a travel bag, it is great. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  785.5 KB
    Last edited by Missy; 07-23-2014 at 02:23 PM.

@Missy, great photos! Cannot wait until Monday when my steel NFTD arrives. My TBAS just kicked up a notch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    * Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

Monday it is for me too, but in Aubergine. Sadly non of my girls still fit in it.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Whether or not the Pilot is within personal item dimensions depends entirely on your airline of choice. The Pilot is well within Air Canada's definition of a personal item (max 17" x 13" x 6"). British Airways is 18" x 14" x 8". American and US Air don't give firm definitions other than to say it has to be smaller than your carry on (duh), and fit under the seat, both of which the Pilot and NFTD should do fine, depending on seating configuration (curse you video on demand box!). Odd how United picked a rather squat rectangular shape (17" x 10" x 9") when most other airlines seem to use similar linear dimensions, but in more of a longer, narrower briefcase arrangement. Neither will technically qualify as a personal item on Lufthansa if the Gate Attendant is being picky/technical since their limit is 16" x 12" x 4".

Still, when you are pretty close to the measurements in either case, it would have to be a real stickler GA to reject your bag (assuming you didn't over stuff it so that you could cram it into whatever shape bag sizer you have to deal with). I think the narrow profile of the Pilot and Co-Pilot works to their advantage when you get into the inches game since they look much smaller than they probably are. The NFTD might have a harder time stuffing into the more briefcase oriented bag sizers if it really came down to it.
    I am not one of those people in favor of stretching the rules, particularly with carry-on luggage. Someone mentioned taking a Tri-Star as a personal item recently, and I thought that was really pushing the envelope. But I can not even IMAGINE the Pilot having a problem getting onto the plane. Even in those seats with bulky AV boxes, it will easily go underneath. That's interesting about Lufthansa's allowed dimensions, though, because they are quite small.

Obviously, for airlines like Easyjet that allow only one bag, period, it's a different story, but for airlines that allow a personal item, if if it is technically over the size limit, I think it should be ok.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Rex the dog got jealous and wanted to be in a picture also. In fact, he tried to photobomb every picture I took. Here he is admiring the nice steel color. I'll have to say I am quite satisfied with my NFTD.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  547.9 KB
    Last edited by Missy; 07-23-2014 at 05:41 PM.

@kkintea and @ilkyway, thanks. Glad you liked the photos. I get nervous posting pictures because I've never participated in a forum before, but TB forums are so entertaining, I figured is dive in. Hope you both love your bags. I look forward to more pictures.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0