Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree1129Likes

Thread: Night Flight

Thanks Katycorgi. I had not appreciated the home button on the second picture. Mine arrives on Thursday. Looking forward to seeing how I can lay things out...

My Black Dyneema/Wasabi NFTD shipped today. Expect pictures a plenty once I get home from work after 5PM/Pacific, 8PM/Eastern time tomorrow (I live an hour from the shop so I get things the next day). Just FYI. This post will be flooded by me.
    Last edited by pinkknits; 07-22-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by atarango1 View Post
    thank you for the iPad pictures @katycorgi. It looks though like the iPad will lay long way on the side of the Night Flight…. hmmm
    No, the outer side is too short for that- in my pic the iPad is in the center, where it's a bit taller.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkknits View Post
    My Black Dyneema/Wasabi NFTD shipped today. Expect pictures a plenty once I get home from work after 5PM/Pacific, 8PM/Eastern time tomorrow (I live an hour from the shop so I get things the next day). Just FYI. This post will be flooded by me.
    @pinkknits, I am not a reliable photographer, so I'm going to leave that to you - but I'm going to try to post one photo to try it out (my first photo on the Forums). Disclosure - due to my indecision, I also have an Aubergine/Wasabi NFTD on the way. I checked with the Crew and had them send whichever was available first out. I originally wanted a ballistic exterior, but Dyneema will match more of my gear.

Poor lighting, but you get the spirit of it. Now to play with the configurations - the insert is a delightful gray/ice green color. I want to see it in daylight!

Name:  photo(1).JPG
Views: 396
Size:  743.1 KB
    Last edited by GoStanford; 07-22-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Bravo on your first photo, @GoStanford! That looks really sharp in the black dyneema, and I imagine it will have a bit more give in its packability (in a good way) due to the dyneema.

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    Bravo on your first photo, @GoStanford! That looks really sharp in the black dyneema, and I imagine it will have a bit more give in its packability (in a good way) due to the dyneema.
    It's true that I heart black Dyneema - I normally prefer bright colors, but something about the quadrille-style lines makes me a huge Dyneema fan. I do like the flexibility of the material, and I tend to be careful with my bags, so unless there is unexpected catching/abrasion, I think this will be very serviceable. I originally thought my decision would be made by whichever bag was ready to be shipped out first, but it turns out the Aubergine NFTD is on its way, should be here Friday evening right before I travel, so I will get to test out both and make a decision for my trip!

ETA: I'm going to re-read the description and prior reviews, as in the Dyneema version, the felt-like foam material in the center compartment is the only - and I mean only - thing giving the base of this bag any rigidity. I thought it would feel more Cache-like, but it's a piece of dense gray foam covered with Velcro-attractive material on one side, and it bends and squishes into place with two pockets to hold it in - feels a little soft. The bag overall is very neat and tidy - hard to believe this is the limit of personal item we are allowed! Another possible concern - while iPad mini and bulky noise-cancelling headphone case fit well in the end compartments and center, there isn't much room for big books/magazines. Will have to play with this a bit more.
    Last edited by GoStanford; 07-22-2014 at 10:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Katycorgi View Post
    Attempting a few more...
    Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    I love all your colorful organizers, and your cat is super cute too!
    @Katycorgi, @NWhikergal and others who have gotten this bag - can you describe how rigid the center (main) compartment is if you take out the foam insert? The Dyneema version (sans insert) just flops limply like Frieda's pet cat in the Peanuts comic strip, though it would be more rigid if I rolled up clothes/jacket to put in there. I'm a bit concerned the foam could shred over time. I wish it weren't quite so exposed - maybe it's not an issue, but I'm not sure.

This is from a website called Fanpop and should be credited to the artist Charles Schulz.
    Name:  Frieda-peanuts-239730_172_250.gif
Views: 348
Size:  6.2 KB
    Last edited by GoStanford; 07-22-2014 at 11:48 PM.
    moriond and ncb4 like this.

I can't help that I am still laughing at your description "flops limply like Frieda's pet cat in the Peanuts comic strip," I am sooo sorry. The ballistic version held its structure fine without the foam insert. While removing the insert eliminates the padding, I doubt I would leave the insert in unless I were transporting electronics or something else that required a bit of cushion. While I doubt the bottom layer of foam would shred over time, I do not know what the long-term durability of the topside of the velcro compatible section will be like. Nor do I know how the insert's long-term durability would be if it were regularly removed and inserted.

I agree, the ballistic has plenty of structure. I haven't decided how I will use or not use the insert either.

Does this mean the Dyneema NFTD can be easily flattened and folded/rolled up? Without the insert, of course.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Does this mean the Dyneema NFTD can be easily flattened and folded/rolled up? Without the insert, of course.
    Ohhh @iceberg, you and your thinking-ahead ways. Yes, yes you are right. Here it is minus insert and compacted down to cafe-bag size - handles give it some heft, but it could make a good spare bag in a larger checked-in bag, for example.
Views: 349
Size:  920.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    @pinkknits, I am not a reliable photographer, so I'm going to leave that to you - but I'm going to try to post one photo to try it out (my first photo on the Forums). Disclosure - due to my indecision, I also have an Aubergine/Wasabi NFTD on the way. I checked with the Crew and had them send whichever was available first out. I originally wanted a ballistic exterior, but Dyneema will match more of my gear.

Poor lighting, but you get the spirit of it. Now to play with the configurations - the insert is a delightful gray/ice green color. I want to see it in daylight!

Views: 396
Size:  743.1 KB
    No fair! You must've been one of two that had theirs ship last week.

As far as wear and tear of the Dyneema, I have to say I've been super impressed w/my Black Dyneema/Wasabi SCB over the past month+ that I've had it and expect the same durability of my NFTD. It does take some getting use to when it comes to the fabric not being as 'rigid' as ballistic, but I've learned to love that 'forgiveness' when it come to say, stuffing an Evian water bottle in my SCB when running around on my lunch break. I hope for the same w/my Night Flight.

My Night Flight is currently in Fife, about 10 miles from me...cannot wait!
    Bags I Want: Dyneema A30

Current Bags: Black Dyneema/Wasabi CP, Black Dyneema/Wasabi NFTD w/2 packing cubes, Hemp Swift, Cork Swift, Cork LS, LSB, SSB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi LCB, Black Dyneema/Solar SCB, Black Dyneema/Wasabi SE, Size 1 Stuff Sack, TT, Plenty of YSS, Q-Kit, bunches of pouches

OK, I just couldn't take it anymore! I just ordered a Night Flight in coyote/steel. I have another bag (unfortunately, not Tom Bihn) which it matches. Whew. I feel better ...

I'm new to the TB stuff. I've been assembling mostly accessories. This is my first "real" bag purchase. I have a black/ultraviolet Side Effect and wasabi Clear Organizer Wallet. On it's way to me right now are two Q-kits, one large Organizer Pouch and a black/steel Snake Charmer.

Who knows what tomorrow will bring ...

My Night Flight, had to travel clear to West Virginia, and it's out for delivery as we speak! It is so hard to wait the 7 days it takes to get here. I will try to post some pictures here even though I am kind of picture posting illiterate. I love all the pictures so far.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by sujo View Post
    Who knows what tomorrow will bring ...
    Severe TB Anticipation Syndrome. Much empathy, support, sharing and humor from fellow Bihnions. Enablers galore. Joy and pride in your TB treasures. The thrill of new TB product/color offerings. More enabling. TB Acquisition Syndrome. Repeat cycle.

Welcome, @sujo!
    Last edited by taminca; 07-23-2014 at 07:20 AM.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0