• 4 Post By Rocks
  • 8 Post By Washu
  • 7 Post By gochicken
  • 4 Post By Seesul
  • 3 Post By thehoax
  • 4 Post By icebeng

Thread: Those unexpected TB encounters

Those unexpected TB encounters

This evening I was waiting in the queue for the campus bus back to town as usual, sitting on the stone flowerbed edging and knitting with my S19 between my knees, when a colleague from my old department came up and asked "Which Tom Bihn bag is that?"

After getting over my shock, we discussed the different bags and how expensive it is to import them into the UK, and he said he was thinking of getting the S19 for work, since his current model (which we failed to identify) is too big. Hopefully I persuaded him to shell out for one!

Anyone else had a brief encounter over a TB bag?
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I've met a few people through bag comments. It's always so fun! One of the encounters was at the zoo, and she and I stood there for twenty minutes talking about our favorite TB bags. Then we realized how much time had passed and we just laughed!

It does feel a bit like a tribe. Compliment someone on their TB bag and they immediately turn with a look of recognition, and then ask what bag you have, what your favorites are, etc. Even here in Seattle, the company's hometown, I find that people carrying TB aren't merely customers, they're fans. Fans usually like to chat with other fans.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

I was biking and had my Synapse 19 on, and a guy passed me and asked "which Tom Bihn bag is that?" I told him what it was and he said he wanted one and already has a Smart Alec. I said I wanted a Smart Alec too. This brief but pleasant conversation happened biking in the bike lane.

My most recent TB encounter was pretty unsatisfactory. I was knitting on the bus, when one of the other passengers boarded with a Hemp/Cardinal Swift. She sat down across the aisle from me so I said something like, "Wow, that's a great Swift. I wish I had bought one before they discontinued the hemp," and she looked at me like I was some kind of freak. I pointed at her bag and said, "You know, your bag?" She mumbled something like, "Oh, thanks," and that was it. Seriously - who has a freaking Hemp Swift and doesn't appreciate it and relish the opportunity to show it off? So strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Washu View Post
    My most recent TB encounter was pretty unsatisfactory. I was knitting on the bus, when one of the other passengers boarded with a Hemp/Cardinal Swift. She sat down across the aisle from me so I said something like, "Wow, that's a great Swift. I wish I had bought one before they discontinued the hemp," and she looked at me like I was some kind of freak. I pointed at her bag and said, "You know, your bag?" She mumbled something like, "Oh, thanks," and that was it. Seriously - who has a freaking Hemp Swift and doesn't appreciate it and relish the opportunity to show it off? So strange.
    If it helps I have had similar encounters not for TB but for other labels. I keep talking like it will improve the situation but it is a fail in such cases from the outset. I empathize!!

Don't laugh, it is a dream of mine to run into another Bihnion out in the wild, but it hasn't happened yet. I go on heightened alert anytime I'm at an airport. I have never even seen a TB bag in the wild, so a conversation about TB bags with one of you forum members would be something I'd cherish forever!
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse 19 & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

Have never bad the pleasure of running into another one, but have had inquiries as to who or what is Tom Bihn. They always take note of the website.

While trying to hail a cab in Melbourne over the holidays i met a nice guy with a light pesto green ristretto. We had our Med & lg Cafe bags so it made for a pleasant TB exchange of info.

Quote Originally Posted by gochicken View Post
    Don't laugh, it is a dream of mine to run into another Bihnion out in the wild, but it hasn't happened yet. I go on heightened alert anytime I'm at an airport. I have never even seen a TB bag in the wild, so a conversation about TB bags with one of you forum members would be something I'd cherish forever!
    Not laughing. It's my dream also, @gochicken....and since we are both in Northern California, it might actually happen one of these days!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Totally geeky idea: might be cool to have a small tag on each TB bag that blinks discreetly when another TB bag is nearby, maybe even have arrows to show you where it is. It would be totally optional to switch on,of course.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0