Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: TB Bag/Activity Matrix

TB Bag/Activity Matrix

I'm a recent first time Tom Bihn customer and have learned so much from this forum on bags, uses, colours and just general great ideas. I've been on a recent 'binge' and have accumulated a lot of TB gear, always finding a supposed reason to need a slightly different and new item.

In order to justify (perhaps just to myself) why i need so many different items, I created a chart of how i use the multiple bags. I thought it might be of interest to people to see what activities I use my bags for and the way I combine some of them when I travel. It helped me to justify certain items especially when they have more than just one type of use.

This is just my uses though, I'm sure others use their bags in different ways. Hope it helps though.

Some notes on the chart:

• Travel overnight or longer is assumed to be international and include a flight
    • An X shows each item used for that activity
    • Where I have choices and vary which bag I use depending on items carried, environment and just general mood; I have numbered them in order of priority 1,2,3 etc.

Name:  TB-activity-matrix.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  183.2 KB
    Last edited by Perseffect; 06-25-2014 at 02:33 PM.
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Tri-Star ([Black/Steel), Western Flyer (Navy/UV), Aeronaut (Steel/UV), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Large Cafe Bag (Linen/Navy), Small Cafe Bag (Plum/Wasabi), Side Effect (Navy/Solar) (Black Dyneema/Wasabi)(Aubergine/Wasabi), Laundry Stuff Sack (Wasabi), Travel Trays (UV/Iberian/Nordic/Black), Large Shop Bag (Nordic)

And here was me thinking I was bad, creating a spreadsheet* for all my TB stuff with size, colour, fabric and notes on usage...

* My excuse is that I need it when ordering. I already have eight stuff sacks in different colour/size combinations - I don't need duplicates to add to the confusion!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Wow that is so cool. I am a systematic person (I have an exel-sheet with all my TB-Items in it so not to loose track of them with colors and purposes) and I like looking at other persons systematics. I heard David Allens "Getting Thinks Done" I think 7 times just because it is soothing to me to listen to someone talk about order. And I can see how this helped you to justify some purchases.
    Are we crazy here? Maybe, but do we have fun? Certainly!

Ilkyway

I'm a GTD convert too - I think a lot of TB fans fall into that demographic, because it's the organisational features of TB bags that attracts us to them!
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

The only way for me to make sense of things is to color code them.

I like lists but spreadsheets are frightening, less so when color coded.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Wow that is so cool. I am a systematic person (I have an exel-sheet with all my TB-Items in it so not to loose track of them with colors and purposes) and I like looking at other persons systematics. I heard David Allens "Getting Thinks Done" I think 7 times just because it is soothing to me to listen to someone talk about order. And I can see how this helped you to justify some purchases.
    Are we crazy here? Maybe, but do we have fun? Certainly!

Ilkyway
    I'm a GTD'er too and sounds like @scribe is too. As they state, might be a TB fan demographic.
    eWalker likes this.
    Tri-Star ([Black/Steel), Western Flyer (Navy/UV), Aeronaut (Steel/UV), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Large Cafe Bag (Linen/Navy), Small Cafe Bag (Plum/Wasabi), Side Effect (Navy/Solar) (Black Dyneema/Wasabi)(Aubergine/Wasabi), Laundry Stuff Sack (Wasabi), Travel Trays (UV/Iberian/Nordic/Black), Large Shop Bag (Nordic)

This is super! What software did you use?
    eWalker likes this.

It's probably something obvious, but I'm operating on four hours' sleep today... please tell me, what is GTD?
    eWalker likes this.

Amy
    Wow. I am loving that spreadsheet. I wish I had enough Tom Bihn items to put on a spreadsheet. I only have a 19" Synapse and a Side Effect, plus 2 double zippered pouches, and I'm trying to make them work for every scenario.

Do you guys ever get "bag angst" when moving to new bags? I have several beloved bags I've used in the past, all of which have served me well for their purposes. I feel like I'm "cheating" on a trusty old bag when I get a brand spankin' new one.

Also, I feel a little bit anti-minimalist when I start spending a ton of money on travel stuff. I have replaced every bag, every cable, every bottle, every organizer pouch, towel, foldable bag, etc. with something slightly smaller or better-made. It's like a never-ending quest for perfection.

Oh, I suppose there are worse addictions than perfectly made travel gear!

Amy
    Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    It's probably something obvious, but I'm operating on four hours' sleep today... please tell me, what is GTD?
    Getting Things Done by David Allen: Getting Things DoneŽ, GTDŽ and David Allen & CO | Home
    A very popular approach for managing your stuff to do.

Perseffect, thank you so much. I feel a LOT better knowing I'm not alone.

Amy, start your spreadsheet now, you may not have many bags today but starting now makes it easier to put together. If you wait you'll have to spend an hour, or more, dragging everything from every nook and cranny to ensure accuracy later. Believe me, later is not that far away.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I am so glad to see I'm not the only one who does things like this. My husband is always teasing me about my lists. I'm one of those people who write something on the list just to cross it off.
    SE: b-Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Solar Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic Cocoa d-Black/Solar d-Nordic/Solar
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm Cocoa d-Nordic/Solar d-Black/Solar

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black, Cocoa
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I'm one of those people who write something on the list just to cross it off.
    I do that. It's my "to done" list

Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I'm a GTD'er too and sounds like @scribe is too.
    I am indeed! I have not one but two GTD-friendly apps on my Macs and iOS devices - OmniFocus for work (because I have to do project management from time to time) and Things for my personal To-Do list.

However for organising my TB collection and packing lists, I use Numbers and Notebooks respectively. I have a packing list app too (Packing Pro), but - at least when using a new bag and/or going on a new type of trip - I prefer the flexibility of a simple text document for planning in precise detail where I'm going to stow everything.

All of these apps sync seamlessly over the cloud, which is a must for me. It means I can work on my laptop at home and in the office, but get away with only needing an iPad or iPhone when I travel.
    Collections:

Quote Originally Posted by haraya View Post
    From @IIkways post, GTD is the methodology getting things done by David Allen. I'd recommend taking a look at his book if you get a chance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast