Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: TB Bag/Activity Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    This is super! What software did you use?
    Hi, I created this in Numbers on a mac. Happy to share the file (if I can figure out how to attach it to a post in the forum).
    eWalker likes this.
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Tri-Star ([Black/Steel), Aeronaut (Steel/UV), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Zephyr (Black/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Ristretto 13 (Navy/Solar), Large Cafe Bag (Linen/Navy), Small Cafe Bag (Plum/Wasabi), Side Effect (Navy/Solar) (Black Dyneema/Wasabi)(Aubergine/Wasabi), Travel Trays (UV/Iberian/Nordic/Black), Large Shop Bag (Nordic)

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    Do you guys ever get "bag angst" when moving to new bags? I have several beloved bags I've used in the past, all of which have served me well for their purposes. I feel like I'm "cheating" on a trusty old bag when I get a brand spankin' new one.

It's like a never-ending quest for perfection.

Oh, I suppose there are worse addictions than perfectly made travel gear!
    No angst here with my current bag - its about the same size as the Side Effect but has a flap. SO AGGRAVATING - I want to fling it out of a moving vehicle at times.

But I do have a couple of bags that I will never part with and have repurposed so I can hang onto them.
    eWalker likes this.
    never skate faster than your guardian angel can fly....black and gold til I'm dead and cold....

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I am indeed! I have not one but two GTD-friendly apps on my Macs and iOS devices - OmniFocus for work (because I have to do project management from time to time) and Things for my personal To-Do list.

However for organising my TB collection and packing lists, I use Numbers and Notebooks respectively.
    Question to you and the group - I use Evernote to keep track of ongoing projects and Clear as a simple to-do list on my phone. I took a look at the app descriptions for OmniFocus, Things, Numbers, and Notebooks. Can you compare pros/cons with Evernote and Clear if you have used those before? Thanks!
    eWalker likes this.

I use Evernote to organise notes for my novels, as I can include snapshots of their Smart Moleskine pages along with typed notes. However I've never used it for task management - and I'd never heard of Clear until you mentioned it here.
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I use Evernote to organise notes for my novels, as I can include snapshots of their Smart Moleskine pages along with typed notes. However I've never used it for task management - and I'd never heard of Clear until you mentioned it here.
    I am far from an Evernote super-user, but it has a handy check-box button that can be used to generate a to-do list (usually I just type a column of items as a simple list though). I like being able to move around large chunks of text easily and keep track of things in a free-format way.

Clear is outstanding, I think. I got it as a free download from Starbucks and it is one of the most-often used apps on my phone. It is very simple and very good for what it does - a simple to-do list with the ability to swipe items and drag them up or down, using the touch response of the iPhone very effectively. It is not linked to one's calendar, and I think that is what makes it work for me. I keep track of my running to-do lists (grocery, pharmacy, home tasks, what to take to sports activities, what to pack). It replaces all the little pieces of paper and Post-It notes I had scattered around (and still have, but fewer).

I will definitely look into the other apps you described to learn more about them.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Question to you and the group - I use Evernote to keep track of ongoing projects and Clear as a simple to-do list on my phone. I took a look at the app descriptions for OmniFocus, Things, Numbers, and Notebooks. Can you compare pros/cons with Evernote and Clear if you have used those before? Thanks!
    I use Omnifocus and Evernote together (although I do have Clear but it only works for me as a stand alone App and not integrated). I also use Moleskine Evernotebooks. See the picture of mine in a medium organiser pouch. This is my super thin writing/note taking setup and lives in the front top pocket of my Tri-Star.

Name:  Photo 26-06-2014 08 44 29.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  589.9 KB

I photograph notes with my ever notebook straight into their app. I can then use their "Copy Note Link" feature (albeit only on the mac itself) to attach a hyperlink of the note to my actions in Omnifocus. This keeps my actions and notes linked when I'm on the go. A great feature when travelling.

Basically, if you want simple and easy use Clear as its lovely to use but very much stand alone. If you want more integrated features and a bit more complexity/high levels of list organisation, Omnifocus is best in class.
    eWalker likes this.
    Tri-Star ([Black/Steel), Aeronaut (Steel/UV), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Zephyr (Black/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Ristretto 13 (Navy/Solar), Large Cafe Bag (Linen/Navy), Small Cafe Bag (Plum/Wasabi), Side Effect (Navy/Solar) (Black Dyneema/Wasabi)(Aubergine/Wasabi), Travel Trays (UV/Iberian/Nordic/Black), Large Shop Bag (Nordic)

For anyone interested, I have uploaded the numbers spreadsheet of my Bag/Activity matrix and also an excel export of it for those using that programme. Hopefully they are working as a download below:

Numbers Version
    Excel Version

I also hope I'm not breaking any forum rules adding download links here, it couldn't find anything saying not to. Apologies team and let me know if this is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    For anyone interested, I have uploaded the numbers spreadsheet of my Bag/Activity matrix and also an excel export of it for those using that programme.
    Excel version works for me - thank you! I don't have Numbers.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    I use Omnifocus and Evernote together (although I do have Clear but it only works for me as a stand alone App and not integrated). I also use Moleskine Evernotebooks. See the picture of mine in a medium organiser pouch. This is my super thin writing/note taking setup and lives in the front top pocket of my Tri-Star.
    Enabler points for sending me rushing off to the Moleskine online store to buy a couple of those slimline journals - just what I need for travelling!
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I just showed this to my wife who is also a spreadsheet nerd, she likes it. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    eWalker likes this.

I have a 2004 MCB and I feel bad about not using it. Sometimes, I just take it out and pat it a bit. It's getting a bit worn around the edges and I decided to retire it to indoor activities only. I tell myself that I am making new memories every day with my LCB. But some days, I just load up the old one.

So is that what you mean about bag angst??

Loved the spreadsheet! Thanks for sharing!

It helps a lot to visualize and plan the bag sets for various activities!

Adopted and stored in "Essential Organization Tools" folder!
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Amy
    Quote Originally Posted by spindlitis View Post
    I have a 2004 MCB and I feel bad about not using it. Sometimes, I just take it out and pat it a bit. It's getting a bit worn around the edges and I decided to retire it to indoor activities only. I tell myself that I am making new memories every day with my LCB. But some days, I just load up the old one.

So is that what you mean about bag angst??
    Haha! Yes, I guess it is.

When I was using my BBP bag as my main laptop bag for several years, boredom would occasionally set in, my eye would wander, and I would surreptitiously go online to see if anything out there was a better match. It was more comfortable and ergonomic than any messenger or backpack I have ever used, but the mesh water bottle pocket was beginning to fray. Inevitably I would rule out every other bag for one reason or another, and realize "true love is right in front of your eyes." We had been through so much together, including a car wreck that flipped my van and tossed the bag around... But the laptop inside came out without a scratch. Boredom seemed like a shallow excuse to give up such a faithful companion.

But then I got a large laptop that no longer fit, so I went shopping. Mama got a brand new bag.

That's an impressive chart and one that really appeals to my sense of organization. Unfortunately I don't own enough TB products yet, so I wouldn't be able to use it quite yet.

I'm a bit curious about the row labelled "Vacation/Holidays 1 week+". While the Aeronaut is certainly a good choice for longer trips, might it be possible to use the TriStar in conjunction with a smaller item such as a Pilot or Co-Pilot for a multi-week trip? I realize there's a large variable as the answer will depend on how much stuff is packed, but could such an arrangement work for a trip as long as a four to six weeks?
    Last edited by Duster; 06-27-2014 at 10:12 PM.
    eWalker likes this.

TB Bag/Activity Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Duster View Post
    might it be possible to use the TriStar in conjunction with a smaller item such as a Pilot or Co-Pilot for a multi-week trip? I realize there's a large variable as the answer will depend on how much stuff is packed, but could such an arrangement work for a trip as long as a four to six weeks?
    The short answer is yes.

The TL;DR answer: one school of thought is that if you can pack for 3-4 days in a TS then you are essentially packing for a trip of any duration if you are willing to do laundry. I'll expand on that thought though.

I firmly believe it's not just how much is packed, but the size of what's packed. Think about three size XL t-shirts in the following: kids', women's, men's. There's a big difference in size and volume, even though all three are t-shirts. So, the volume of clothes for a 100-lb person will be smaller than that of a 200-lb person, even if they're packing the same things. Likewise, a petite and slim woman would be able to get much more into a TS than a 6-foot, shall we say "solidly" built man; the trade-off is that the man would probably find the fully-loaded TS easier to carry and lift than the small woman would (and yes there are exceptions but I'm drawing this example from stuff others have written about the TS from their experience). Also likewise, clothes for a casual beach vacation would likely be thinner and lighter than clothes for a winter fly-fishing trip, even if the trips were of the same duration. So, part of the answer to your question is "it depends on the quantity, size, and volume of the items one wishes to pack."

I think there may also be an argument that the TS is better suited to different kinds of travel than the Aeronaut. For instance, if I needed to pack a suit, some dress shirts, and a pair of casual shoes, I wouldn't hesitate to use the TS for a lengthy trip. This is assuming that I can send out laundry, of course. If I was doing something that required bulky footwear or otherwise non-rectilinear objects, I'd probably lean towards the Aeronaut. So another part of the answer to your question is "it depends on the shape of the items one wishes to pack."

If you're asking if one could use a TS for a month of traveling with no laundry, I would say that's a tall order to fill. But I am positive that if I did laundry I could definitely get everything I needed into a TS and Pilot, and I am neither tiny nor in possession of merino wool everything.

Hope this helps somewhat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast