Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Perspectives on Size...

Perspectives on Size...

I realized this weekend, that when I first began my TB journey, I went in with all the stuff that I HAD to carry on business trips in my carry on - attempting to find the perfect bag for it all. I tried the Western Flyer and found it too small. (I tried many bags, but that story has already been chronicled in another thread).

Today, I can carry my entire travel work carry contingent in a co-pilot. Quite a change Oddly, whatever it was I used to carry - I don't miss.

(it did help when I finally got the company to downsize me from the enormous laptop of evil to a small model..., but even before that, I had moved down to a Pilot...)

I got my daughter a WF today (and a TriStar, she is trying to decide which is better) and she wanted help packing. She had what appeared to be a full WF, and a pile of stuff she couldn't fit in it. 10 minutes later she said "you are creepy", when I asked why, she said "you took a full bag, a pile of sweat pants, 3 jackets, 2 swimsuits and a #2 stuff sack full of socks, and and made them disappear into the bag"

Ahh, the magic of the TARDIS bags...

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Sloth View Post
    I realized this weekend, that when I first began my TB journey, I went in with all the stuff that I HAD to carry on business trips in my carry on - attempting to find the perfect bag for it all. I tried the Western Flyer and found it too small. (I tried many bags, but that story has already been chronicled in another thread).

Today, I can carry my entire travel work carry contingent in a co-pilot. Quite a change Oddly, whatever it was I used to carry - I don't miss.

(it did help when I finally got the company to downsize me from the enormous laptop of evil to a small model..., but even before that, I had moved down to a Pilot...)

I got my daughter a WF today (and a TriStar, she is trying to decide which is better) and she wanted help packing. She had what appeared to be a full WF, and a pile of stuff she couldn't fit in it. 10 minutes later she said "you are creepy", when I asked why, she said "you took a full bag, a pile of sweat pants, 3 jackets, 2 swimsuits and a #2 stuff sack full of socks, and and made them disappear into the bag"

Ahh, the magic of the TARDIS bags...
    LOL! Just loved!

I hope to be able to do the same with my friends on our next trip! Fingers crossed!

BTW, what is TARDIS bags!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Yoda Sloth,
    I too am the very well known as the family packer. I once packed a hand crocheted blanket and a week's worth if stuff into my mom's tiny roller. She's a great packer but I still amazed her. They say everyone is given a talent, this is the only talent I think i got. Not real useful but does surprise folks sometimes.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Yoda Sloth,
    I too am the very well known as the family packer. I once packed a hand crocheted blanket and a week's worth if stuff into my mom's tiny roller. She's a great packer but I still amazed her. They say everyone is given a talent, this is the only talent I think i got. Not real useful but does surprise folks sometimes.
    @Moose I think you talent is very useful!

If there was a TV show "TB got talent", the packing performances would be impossible to miss!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk

Love "TB got talent"!

@eWalker, the tardis is Dr. Who's transport. It's a British TV show, also popular in the US. It's shaped (or at least was when I watched it) like a telephone booth, and is "bigger on the inside than the outside". (One would think telephone booths would be a little too noticeable now, though, and I confess I have not kept up.)

Amy
    It is uncanny how much in common I feel with you folks on this forum whom I've never met. In my family, I'm known as the "family packer" as well. It's an unusual talent, and it's also odd (according to everyone else) to derive so much enjoyment from packing. But I think it's the same sort of satisfaction one gets from doing a puzzle. I will happily visit other peoples' houses on the eve of their journeys to help them pack their stuff, and to help them make hard decisions about what to leave behind.

On our last trip to France, I packed an extraordinary amount of stuff into my small rolling bag (Zuca), including all my clothes for 2 weeks, plus tall boots, a cooler, towel, laundry supplies, bluetooth speaker and entertainment supplies, and assorted other stuff. On the way back, I added to that a bunch of gifts and souvenirs. On the night before our return flight, my grown daughter came into our hotel room, grabbed the remote and pointed it at me. "I'm ready to watch the Amy Packing show!" she said. And for the next hour she watched me pack a huge amount of stuff back into that Zuca as I narrated my strategy for the "camera."

All week I've been "practice packing" (a phrase which makes me giggle because of its OCD-ness) for an upcoming 3-day work/vacation trip to Phoenix. As a challenge, I'm bringing only my diminutive Synapse 19, which will also contain my laptop and a wacom tablet. Miraculously, it all fits. This bag really is deceptively roomy. The 13" laptop is in the Cache, and the wacom tablet is in the large inner pocket. My breakthrough was to use a full-size Eagle Creek Pack-It Specter Compression Cube for all my clothes, turn it sideways, and smash it into the bottom of the bag so that no room at the bottom of the bag is wasted, and space is still available above it. In that remaining space goes my 3-1-1 bag full of all my downsized toiletries and cosmetics, and other smaller items (JBL Micro Wireless bluetooth speaker, chico bag). The outer pockets I pack with the remaining stuff (computer and phone charger, cables, spare phone battery, Monster travel power strip, thumb drives, etc.).

I've also got running clothes, spibelt, running headphones, and my running shoes in there. The shoes are Zero Shoes huaraches with salmon-colored paracord laces, so they're very thin and they fit flat at the base of the bag under the Eagle Creek packing cube. Those huaraches also make great poolside shoes and even look good with skirts.

My "personal item overflow" including wallet, phone, headphones, keys, tissues, eye drops, gum, lipstick, first aid stuff etc. will go in the Side Effect which should be arriving tomorrow. I'll wear that cross-body as a purse so everything's easily accessible, and put the Synapse on my back.

I decided to wear the same outfit on the plane each way so that I could reduce the stuff I need to bring. I'm also using my swimsuit cover-up dress as a nightgown to cut out another item. On the plane I'm wearing a black maxi skirt and top with sweater, which will be my nicer going-out clothes while in Phoenix. I've also got a swimsuit, 2 additional tops, and a shorter skirt in there, 3 pr. underwear, running skirt, shirt and jog bra. Everything is a very lightweight material so it compresses easily.

I wish there was some way to turn one's enjoyment of packing into a money-making venture. Then I wouldn't feel quite so guilty for spending so much time at it!
    Last edited by Amy; 06-18-2014 at 07:21 AM.

It does feel good to know there is this whole community of people who love bags and packing. I have always thought I was a little odd to use practice packing as a sleep inducer but realize there must be legions of us.

Practice packing is a stress reliever for me - particularly on longer trips. I'm glad I can say that here and not feel totally nuts. One day, I might get to the point where I feel so solid in my packing list that I don't need to practice pack, but until then - it helps me edit to what I really need and feel prepared so that it's "one less thing to worry about" before a trip.

@eWalker - picture of a TARDIS in London. Auntie Em is right, it is the space ship/time travel machine in Dr. Who. There is an episode (which I haven't seen yet) where the inside of the TARDIS is explored - apparently it contains the world's largest closet, and a full size swimming pool (among other things)

@Moose - the "packing gene" as I call it - which is terribly useful, if not very marketable I think it is related to the "puzzle gene" - which I also have Which gives me two useless skills

@Amy - astonished by what you got in your S19, although my daughter did a week in the Dominican Republic with only her S19, so I have seen the magic of that bag.

And yes (to all) it is nice to have a place where people understand our love of bags and all things packing!!
    eWalker likes this.

My little brother's favorite tease is "well, are you properly packed and repacked?" Or, "is everthing small enough now". Yoda Sloth, so right, only special people got the packing gene.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Amy View Post
    I wish there was some way to turn one's enjoyment of packing into a money-making venture. Then I wouldn't feel quite so guilty for spending so much time at it!
    You can do this! There are many ways to do this even from the comfort of your home. Check on web for sites on the topic and see what they offer. This may be your ticket!
    Amy likes this.

@eWalker - picture of a TARDIS in London. Auntie Em is right, it is the space ship/time travel machine in Dr. Who. There is an episode (which I haven't seen yet) where the inside of the TARDIS is explored - apparently it contains the world's largest closet, and a full size swimming pool (among other things)
    Sounds like fun! I am going to google it!

@Moose - the "packing gene" as I call it - which is terribly useful, if not very marketable I think it is related to the "puzzle gene" - which I also have Which gives me two useless skills
    Anything is marketable you just have to find your market/audience and the proper channel to reach it! It may take a while and require serious time investment, but is also very gratifying to work in something you really enjoy!

This reminds me of when I got my Aeronaut. It was part of a large load of goodies I'd bought from @ceepee on eBay - there was an Aeronaut, a Tri-star, a CQPC, a travel tray, a Kit, and some packing cubes. She kindly got it delivered to my office in London, and it arrived on the last morning I was there that week. While packing up to leave the hotel that morning, the bag in which most of my clothes were travelling had ripped, making it marginal to use. As I recall I had also received that week a couple of other eBay purchases, most notably a black ballistic Co-Pilot. Note to self: travel more lightly in future!

So there I am, with my TB goodies, a (ripped) bag full of clothes, some shopping, and various other impedimenta. So I pick up the Aeronaut and start packing stuff into it... first the tri-star, then the broken bag (which actually belonged to my partner), then the CQPC, Kit, the Co-pilot, start putting dirty washing into packing cubes, bits here, bits there... first stacking in the main compartment, then in the end pockets, then round the sides and top of the main compartment. 20 minutes later I'm standing there looking at an empty table where all the bits had been, and an Aeronaut which still had room for a few more items...
    Last edited by PaulT00; 06-19-2014 at 03:46 AM.
    A45 crim/stl TS navy/solr A30 aub/wsbi S19 nrdc/stl P nrdc/solr CP blk/stl; SE wsbi CQPC ibrn, solr Ri aub/stl 3DCC card TSS4 wsbi K card TT solr,nrdc,blk CC card/stl PCBP solr PP navy QK frst,cyte,aub + loadsa cubes!

Forgot to include the TARDIS pic!

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 547
Size:  29.9 KB

Amy
    That tardis needs an Absolute shoulder strap.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0