Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Caveat emptor

Caveat emptor

So, the Imago I bought on eBay is not in as good condition as the seller's description implied.

"This is a pre-owned but well taken care of Tom Bihn messenger bag. It comes with an Absolute strap. It's silver/black in color. It has a custom embroidered trident symbol sewn into cover flap as seen in photos. The bag measures approximately 14 inches across and 12 tall. It has one main compartment with two open top pockets on the inside of the main compartment. There are three zippered compartments on the outside and two open pockets. All straps, handles, zippers, buckles etc. are in good working order. In addition to the shoulder strap there is also a carry handle."

In fact the cork fabric is badly worn (cracked and peeling in places) - I have a cork OP that I bought on ebay, so I know what well-cared-for cork looks like! This bag is old enough (c.2009) that it long predates the quality issues with cork that caused it to be discontinued. Also the main buckle is broken on one side, and there are no loose pieces in the packaging to suggest it happened in transit. Apparently "good working order" means "damaged but usable" to this seller

Sorry for the rant - I've opened a case with eBay to see if I can get a partial refund - but I needed to vent my disappointment...

ETA: if anyone has any ideas on how to "rescue" damaged cork fabric so that it doesn't deteriorate further, I'd be very grateful!
    Last edited by scribe; 06-14-2014 at 08:31 AM.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Oh no! EBay should take care of it though. I think they try to keep buyers happy.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I'm so sorry. Such a disappointment. I hope you get compensated properly.

Ahhh, that's so disappointing! I'm sorry to hear of your experience....I hope that it is resolved to your satisfaction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scribe, what did the seller have to say about it? Hope you get it sorted. It is disappointing.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I haven't heard back yet - I literally only got the bag about an hour ago, and I raised a case with eBay immediately.

ETA: I wonder if something like this clear rubber spray could be used to seal the cork and prevent further deterioration? The damage isn't all that visible, but it feels like it is going to catch and get worse with use unless protected by something.
    Last edited by scribe; 06-14-2014 at 08:57 AM.
    Collections:
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

I am so sorry for this, scribe. When I red about your incredible find I was so happy for you. To find a discontinued bag in the color-combo one was searching for, what a good luck. And now this. I hope this person gets a lesson to be learned and you get enough money bag so that it reflects the bags value.

Ilkyway

Thanks, everyone, for your condolences. If the guy balks at the refund, I'll refer eBay to the product photos (which I just checked), where the bottom buckle strap is carefully tucked underneath the bag to conceal the fact that it's broken. I'd call that a clear attempt to mislead the buyer!
    Collections:

urgh!
    So sorry to hear about that, scribe. Hopefully ebay does what is right and refunds part of or all of your money.

I found this online, I don't know if it's available in the UK though.
    U-40 Cork Seal (2 oz.) | mudhole.com
    scribe likes this.

Hmm, that might work - I'm just concerned that anything designed for solid items would crack when applied to fabric. Still, good to know that it would be resistant to salmon egg residue!
    icebeng likes this.
    Collections:

Birkenstock makes a cork conditioner for its sandals and shoes. I wonder if that would work.
    scribe likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Birkenstock makes a cork conditioner for its sandals and shoes. I wonder if that would work.
    Ooh, there's a thought - might be too late to save the bag entirely, but it probably can't hurt.

I don't mind too much that there are bits of cork missing, I'm just worried that there are so many raised edges, it's going to continue to peel off
    Collections:

Unfortunately, I feel your pain!! The small cork OP I picked up on Ebay last month was in worse condition than I thought. The pics looked like two small cracks (thought I could repair with cork glue), but when I got the OP, there are two patches of cork that have peeled off! Unfortunately, the fabric underneath is tan, so I couldn't see the missing patches on the Ebay pics. $20 for the OP, $8 for shipping. Waah!!

I wonder if TB has any leftover cork for making any repairs? (I am willing to pay!)
    Seeking Cardinal Co-Pilot!

Volunteer Moderator
    @scribe, @Melissa So sorry to hear this. I was so happy to hear you had managed to find the Cork products you both wanted. The cork on my (even older) Hunter/Cork/Sage Imago from 2007 is in beautiful condition, so I was expecting the same for your products. how disappointing; hope you get a good resolution.

Ebay has rules about this as does paypal.
    I would open up cases today
    ( because this is deliberate deceit)
    Also this is why I put some ebay purchases in Amex
    No one wants Amex after them!!!
    That way you have 3 layer protection
    Paypal is very vigorous about this thing
    ebay has a clear clause - "not as described"
    I would wait on a better bag
    This one may only deteriorate given its abused state
    Gulfcoastgal. .....

ISO. Cork LS
    ISO. Red LS / Swift. & Azalea Swift

In my TB fleet:
    Swift: Turquoise ! /Cork/Black Dyneema
    LS:Turquoise ! /Azalea/black dyneema
    Shop bag: big : Black / Solar
    Shop bag Small: Black /Solar/UV
    PCSB: Iberian x2 /UV
    SE: solarx2/Black dyneema x2
    Aeronaut: cardinal in A-45. / Black Dyneema in A-30
    Field journal : plum and now the Cordura RED that matches my cardinal A-45 perfectly now belongs to Hubs- matches his red Imago old style

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0