Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Caveat emptor

FWIW, I've rejected the seller's offer - we'll see what happens next!

In the meantime, I can console myself with the thought that I have a TB order arriving today - 2 shop bags (one Nordic!!), 2 travel stuff sacks for my upcoming trip, and yet another yarn stuff sack (because I always have several projects on the go)
    moriond and jess like this.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Basically the entire cork panel is in a similar condition to the lower part of that photo, i.e. covered in short cracks.
    I'm not quite sure how anyone would think that it's supposed to look like that, even if they're not familiar with cork fabrics. There's "distressed" and then there's just plain ol' deterioration. Since the cork is a key feature of the bag, I don't think $30 is enough either, especially factoring in a broken buckle.

Good news - the seller has agreed to refund the cost of the bag plus standard shipping when I return the bag. I guess they can't do anything about the courier's handling fees and import duty, but that's the price of doing business worldwide. I'm hoping they'll be OK with me shipping it when I get to the US in a couple of weeks' time - it'll probably get there quicker than sending it surface mail.

Take home message - if you're buying anything cork over the 'net, ask for closeup photos of the fabric to ensure that you're getting what you think!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I'm glad to hear resolution is on the horizon. I was appalled at the condition of the cork. I can't even imagine what the owner did to the bag to result in it being in that condition! My cork looks lovely on my Imago, and I don't baby the bag.
    moriond and scribe like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    I can't even imagine what the owner did to the bag to result in it being in that condition!
    As fount-of-all-knowledge moriond mentioned above, the original owner was in the army, so it's probably been on manoeuvres with him!
    eWalker likes this.
    Collections:

And in more good news, seller has OK'd me mailing the bag back when I'm in the US, so it won't cost a fortune to return. Good timing or what?

Also, my TB dyneema bonanza was signed for by DH at lunchtime, so it'll be waiting for me when I get home!
    Collections:

Great news, scribe! I was appalled to see that someone would try to palm off the damaged Imago in that fashion. My own steel-cork Imago has some damage to the cork facing--from a life of very hard use (hiking with it, carrying heavy and odd-sized stuff, etc.) but nothing as awful as that one. And I would never dream of trying to sell it in that condition!

Glad to hear that the seller is doing the right thing; sorry you suffered the disappointment of thinking you'd scored a precious cork-faced Imago, only to see that wreck of a bag.

Incidentally, I bought a cardinal-hemp Imago off Ebay and it was in pristine condition. So don't despair about ever finding a good Imago online...
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Scribe, not sure they still do this but ebay used to have a place where you could post "I'm looking for" type things. Just a thought.
    Moose

Glad you had such a great outcome too.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

All's Well That Ends Well...

...as the Bard would say.

Most importantly, I returned the eBay Imago and have received a refund from the seller. Phew!

And in a happy twist of fate, I was able to buy a gorgeous, practically mint-condition forest/cork/steel Imago from a forum member

I guess the moral of the tale is to be patient and not snap up the very first Imago you see!
    Collections:

Very glad it all worked out well, scribe!

And the bag is back on ebay…the seller did modify the description to mention the broken buckle but there is still nothing about the severely damaged cork. I hope no one here bids on this

Tom Bihn Messenger Bag w Absolute Strap | eBay
    eWalker likes this.

it's being offered AGAIN on ebay right now
    eWalker likes this.

Some eBay sellers have no shame - I returned a pair of sunglasses which had clearly been *sat on* and exposed to salt water which had marked the lenses and bent the frame, and a couple of weeks later there they were up on eBay again... and still not making the damage clear in the description. I've also had an extended robust discussion with another seller because he advertised a pair of sunglasses as being 'unmarked' and when they arrived there were pinhole marks on one of the lenses - he went so far as to accuse me of damaging them, then claimed that even though his listing said 'returns accepted', he wasn't able to accept returns because he was just about to depart for foreign shores for 3 months for work. Then he suggested I should sell them on! I ended up raising a case with eBay - he eventually gave me a 50% refund, but that's still less than it cost to find a set of NOS replacement lenses (discontinued model of Oakleys) which I still haven't bothered to fit. These things happen, they leave a nasty taste, but sadly there is little one can do about them. Looking on the bright side, at least most people selling on eBay seem to be reasonable human beings and the Imago was returned and refunded without too many difficulties by the sound of things. Still a faff though!

Just a thought - if the seller was in the army, doesn't this kind of thing violate the military honour code?
    Last edited by PaulT00; 07-24-2014 at 07:26 AM.
    A45 crimson/steel; TS navy/solar; S19 nordic/steel; P nordic/solar; CP black/steel; SE wasabi; CQPC iberian, solar; Ri aubergine/steel; 3DCC cardinal; TSS4 wasabi; K cardinal; TT solar,nordic,black; CC cardinal/steel; PCBP solar; PP navy; + packing cubes galore!

this, just received from ebay seller:

I'm selling this for a family member so I don't know how it looked originally. If the cork is supposed to be a solid sheet then yes I guess it is broken/cracked. I tried to find a picture of one new online but couldn't. To me it kinda looks like it's supposed to have that cracked pattern and that's why I didn't mention it in description. If it's supposed to be solid please let me know so I can note it in description. Thanks

HUMPH!!

Someone posted a question asking if the cork is broken
    If it was one of you guys, good job!
    That made things fairer for a potential buyer.
    eWalker likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0