Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Caveat emptor

Make sure you take plenty of pictures of the said items and save the pictures from the sellers, if at all possible, to make a comparaison.

Save all email communications with all parties, follow up with written letters send with return receipt, if emails do not resolve the issue.

Those are clear cases of misrepresentation.

Tom Bihn Inc is, now, a recognazible boutique brand.

Ebay is the perfect medium to transform a high value garage sale find, in not so pristine condition, into a lucrative deal.
    I have seen it with all sorts of items, especially writing instruments, which are easy to misrepresent using all sorts of tricks.

I am sorry to see the same thing happening with pre-owned TB bags.

For all these reasons, I think it is best to stay away from the bay, to avoid getting soaked, unless, dealing with a known seller.
    Last edited by backpack; 06-14-2014 at 12:15 PM.

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    I hate it when an eBay transaction goes wrong, best of luck in getting things resolved. Paypal has been my friend when things are not as described, but it can take a little while to get full resolution. Hugs
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, LS, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

I've heard back from the seller, who claims the Imago belonged to his/her father-in-law and they "thought the cork fabric was supposed to look like that" Also claims the buckle wasn't broken when sent. On the plus side, sounds keen to put things right, so I'm hopeful of a reasonable outcome.

I've provided a photo of the broken buckle clip - pretty sure I can get a replacement from Parts, but that's not the point...
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I am so sorry to hear about your experiences, @scribe and @Melissa. Hopefully, eBay and PayPal will help with resolving the disputes and getting you full or partial refunds...but I know it nowhere near makes up for your frustration and disappointment.

If you have not done so, please leave a review on the seller. As an eBay buyer, I pay very close attention to those reviews and really depend on them to screen sellers.

And a final note...many big virtual hugs and kisses to @monkeylady. I so lucked out buying my Imago from you. Thank you!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I was going to wait and see how it goes before leaving feedback - negative for sure, but how harsh an accompanying comment depends on the resolution,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I was going to wait and see how it goes before leaving feedback - negative for sure, but how harsh an accompanying comment depends on the resolution,

If you go through the dispute process and get a refund, the transaction will void and you won't be able to leave feedback. I would be careful that they don't retaliate with negative feedback on you.

I just read "how feedback works" on Ebay's site. I was pretty sure it had changed some time back. It says sellers can leave positive feedback or choose to leave none at all. It looks like the seller can't bash you. They may ignore you but that's not a big deal.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

If there is a dispute - such as "Item not as described" - neither party can leave feedback, so a seller cannot retaliate for a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    And a final note...many big virtual hugs and kisses to @monkeylady. I so lucked out buying my Imago from you. Thank you!
    And, dear Tam, I am so glad the Imago has a loving home.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

So, the seller has offered a $30 refund on the "Buy It Now" price of $100 that I paid - I'm not sure how I feel about that, given the state of the bag. Here's a closeup of the worst section of the cork:

Name:  imago_cork.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  94.0 KB

Basically the entire cork panel is in a similar condition to the lower part of that photo, i.e. covered in short cracks.
    Collections:

Ouch...that's painful to look at!

Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    Agreed, truly painful.

* Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosezilla View Post
    Agreed that the state of the cork in the Imago @scribe received is painful to look at. Not to detract from the theme of this thread, but I just wanted to state that none of my Cork products look like this. In fact, here are some quick shots that I just took of the flap of my Hunter/Cork/Sage Imago that is at least a year older than the bag involved in @scribe's eBay transaction (since Steel/Cork/Wasabi wasn't offered in 2007 -- I think this color combination first became available in Spring 2009). This Imago was purchased in mid-2007, and the Cork is pliable and pristine:
    Name:  IMG_0847.JPG
Views: 377
Size:  907.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0848.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  507.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0849.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  491.9 KB

I think the original owner, @Pneumadust (who was not the seller of this item according to @scribe's report), was deployed with the U.S. Army. (And @monkeylady, he also traveled to Belize and visited the Mayan ruins, as the picture in this thread about the ID in Belize shows.) The ID bag shown there is the same Hunter green Ballistic Nylon as on my Imago, and the embroidery pattern is similar to the one used on his Imago in Steel & Cork…

Anyway, maybe the pictures of the Cork on my 7-year old Imago help to explain why so many of us in the forum really like the Cork fabric, and have had no problem's with its longevity.

moriond

Scribe, given the state of the bag I'd be asking for a full refund and send if back. There is no way that is normal. I'm amazed anyone could think that's ok.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Scribe, given the state of the bag I'd be asking for a full refund and send if back. There is no way that is normal. I'm amazed anyone could think that's ok.
    Agreed! $30 back hardly seems adequate.

Should be an open-and-shut case in your favor in the Resolution Center, given those photos.

Good luck!!
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 06-15-2014 at 03:57 PM.
    scribe likes this.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Steel Ballistic: Aeronaut30 (w/UV), Pilot (w/UV), Western Flyer (w/Iberian)
    Black Dyneema: Synapse25 (w/Wasabi), Pilot (w/Wasabi), Side Effect (w/Wasabi)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0