Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Burnt Orange, backorders, and the most thoughtful customer service ever!

Red face Burnt Orange, backorders, and the most thoughtful customer service ever!

Back in early May, when Darcy warned us all about the upcoming price increases, like everyone one else here on the forum I jumped fast and ordered several things, including two Large Shop Bags, one in UV for myself, and one in Wasabi for my son. [He loves green.] They were listed as backordered until early July—and yet I just used them both at the grocery! They arrived this morning, almost six weeks ahead of schedule. That's amazing–and it's the first laurel wreath I want to lay on the heads of the TB crew. Way to go!

I also ordered two Double Organizer Pouches, one in small and one in medium. I'd been reading about folks getting the DOPs in colors like Storm and French Blue, so even though I knew it was a long shot, I pleaded for Burnt Orange in the comments box. And although I didn't get Burnt Orange, I think I may be even happier about what I did receive. I got this lovely postcard, and a medium DOP in what I think is Cayenne. [Which happens to be one of my favorite TB colors from the past.]

Name:  DSCF6733.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  84.5 KB

This note, and the DOP in a color as close to my request as humanly possible, shows such consideration and thoughtfulness. And it didn't stop there. Whoever chose the color of the small DOP tried hard to stay in the same color family, sending one in what I think is Crimson. When I saw that, I got a little teary. Someone stood there in Seattle and really thought about what color to include, and tried so hard to imagine what I might want, even though they'd never met me. It means so much to me that a person would take the time to do that, and it's another example of how wonderful the crew at Tom Bihn are. Thank you so very much, whoever you are!

Meanwhile, here's the Burnt Orange swatch. My table lamp does have a fairly yellow-ish light, but my camera's auto white balance is pretty good about correcting for it, so the swatch looks accurate to me. And you bet I'll be checking the blog and website. I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping for a Burnt Orange Little Swift and a Burnt Orange Side Effect!

Name:  DSCF6737.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  116.2 KB

Again, thanks to the amazing people at TB.

~Nancy

Nancy, you left me speechless! Very candid testimonial!

TB Crew, congratulations on your well deserved reputation and thanks for those remarkable acts of kindness!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-30-2014 at 05:35 PM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Volunteer Moderator
    Nancy,

I also have small Iberian shop bags on order, and I also ordered the Double Organizer Pouches in Cayenne (called in and asked about colors at the time I placed my order, and since I ask about 500d Cordura offerings in the large pouches, and had previously gotten Cayenne, they mentioned that they had some of the Double Organizer Pouches in Cayenne. This happened to be just a few hours before Darcy posted about burnt orange.) I knew the small Iberian Shop Bags started shipping last week. When I consolidated an order for a few more small accessories, they emailed me the updated back order receipt, with a note that the only item they were still waiting on to complete the order for shipment was the Smart Alec Lower Module Pouch in Aubergine.

The burnt orange swatch in your picture looks more interesting than the Synapse pictures that were posted in the announcement. My initial reaction was that this color didn't look as appealing to me as Cayenne, but that I'd wait to see it in other products. The swatch color looks really good! I also personally like the texture of 500d Cordura. (I have the small Double Organizer Pouch in Parapack).

moriond
    ncb4 and eWalker like this.

I got the Iberian shop bag and burnt orange S25 this morning. Will post photos shortly...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kkintea; 05-30-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    ncb4 likes this.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

In case anyone has questions about which color to accessorize burnt orange!

I forgot I also have a black Dyneema shop bag if anyone wants to see black against the burnt orange.

eWalker likes this.

kkintea -- I was sitting tight, just patiently biding my time until Monday comes when UPS delivers my Burnt Orange S25 ... but you've unknowingly made the wait infinitely worse.

Thanks for the first look!
    currently:
    • Burnt Orange: Synapse 19 (steel), Synapse 25 (steel), Organizer Wallet, 3D COC, small and medium DOP
    • Black: Side Effect (steel), small padded OP
    • Steel: small clear OP
    want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), DLBP (black or steel), Synapse 25 (grey/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

This is gonna be good...thank you for posting burnt orange pictures! A beautiful deep rusty orange.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeon View Post
    kkintea -- I was sitting tight, just patiently biding my time until Monday comes when UPS delivers my Burnt Orange S25 ... but you've unknowingly made the wait infinitely worse.

Thanks for the first look!
    I burst out laughing reading this comment! UPS actually was top-notch on this side of the country today: truck came around 11 am, when they usually deliver after 6 pm. Sorry to suck up all the good UPS vibes....

I think the worse tragedy is the demise of Nordic, which in my bihnion opinion, pairs perfectly with burnt orange.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I burst out laughing reading this comment! UPS actually was top-notch on this side of the country today: truck came around 11 am, when they usually deliver after 6 pm. Sorry to suck up all the good UPS vibes....

I think the worse tragedy is the demise of Nordic, which in my bihnion opinion, pairs perfectly with burnt orange.
    @kkintea do you think Burnt Orange is one of those colors that look better in person than in pictures? I'd say, for example, that this was true of Nordic. There are just some colors that don't render as well, or as accurately in pictures, and there's more of a wow! when seen in person. Most of the colors I've seen are, if anything, better when viewed in person, but for some colors there's a bigger spread.

I'd expect that Steel and Navy would also work well with this color.

I burst out laughing reading this comment! UPS actually was top-notch on this side of the country today: truck came around 11 am, when they usually deliver after 6 pm. Sorry to suck up all the good UPS vibes.
    Oh, what makes it worse is that my package arrived in my city mid-morning. A mechanical failure delayed it getting here yesterday or earlier this morning for today's delivery as planned.

I think burnt orange is a non-traditional neutral like Aubergine or Forest. It goes remarkably well with most other colors; it all depends if a person happens to like orange (or whatever "non-traditional" neutral) or not.
    currently:
    • Burnt Orange: Synapse 19 (steel), Synapse 25 (steel), Organizer Wallet, 3D COC, small and medium DOP
    • Black: Side Effect (steel), small padded OP
    • Steel: small clear OP
    want: Aeronaut 30 (black/steel), DLBP (black or steel), Synapse 25 (grey/steel), more BURNT ORANGE: OPs, keystraps, Side Effect, Ballistic Nylon, 200d Dyneema

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @kkintea do you think Burnt Orange is one of those colors that look better in person than in pictures? I'd say, for example, that this was true of Nordic. There are just some colors that don't render as well, or as accurately in pictures, and there's more of a wow! when seen in person. Most of the colors I've seen are, if anything, better when viewed in person, but for some colors there's a bigger spread.

I'd expect that Steel and Navy would also work well with this color.
    Like many TB colors, I think burnt orange shifts with the light. Here are some more comparisons:

Versus white:

Versus orange tabby:

Versus Steel cordura, Aubergine ballistic, black Dyneema, and navy parapack:

Versus Target curtain in "russet":

And this last one I caption "Oh, we're taking photos for Tom Bihn again? Let me just strike a pose".

EDIT: It's hard to see in these shots how nice Aubergine looks with the Burnt Orange.

Last edited by kkintea; 05-30-2014 at 07:21 PM.

Lovely photos, especially the last cat pose. Great looking feline. I have not been even considering burnt orange but it looks really good - might need an accessory in it after all. I am managing, just, to remain a minimalist even in TB land but a double org pouch might be perfect with my steel S25.
    eWalker likes this.

EDIT: It's hard to see in these shots how nice Aubergine looks with the Burnt Orange.
    @kkintea, deliberate or not, you just hit my Achilles' Heel! Now I just have to wait til TB offers an S19 in Burnt Orange...with Wasabi interior, while I am wishing. Great photos! Thanks so much for taking the time to show us Burnt Orange with the different fabrics and colors.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Ooooh! Ahhhhh. Those two bags look stunning together! Thank you for sharing. You're right, I quite like the Aubergine with the Burnt Orange. Though if we're discussing a lighter color as lining, I might vote for Wasabi as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0