Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: First order, but disappointed...

First order, but disappointed...

Ok, finally got my first order and since I was anticipating this for a while maybe I was bound to be let down. I ordered a S25 and to be honest it feels a bit smaller than I expected. Also, the shoulder straps are very thin. I thought there would be more padding to them. But at the end of the day, I guess I will be satisfied in the long run due to its other good points.

I also ordered a small cafe bag. It was charged, paid for, and on the shipping invoice, but it wasn't in the box. Needless to say, I will be contacting customer service on Monday.

The thing is, I am only in the US for two weeks. I sure hope they can correct this and get me a SCB before I have to fly back home...

So overall... Not quite the experience I was hoping for.

The Synapses can kinda expand as you fill them, it might look small now, but you might be surprised by how much it can swallow up. Give it a try, I don't think it will disappoint you.
    As for the straps, I have a S19, and I can hardly feel them, even when it's fully loaded up, but I guess this is really up to individual preference, try loading it up with your heaviest items, then adjust the straps, not forgetting the sternum and waist straps to see if the lack of padding really affects you.
    As for your missing SCB, I can only say that this is a pretty crazy time for them, so a couple of hiccups are to be expected. Let them know when you are flying home. From past personal experiences and from what others have posted here, I can tell you, you will be well taken care of.
    In the meanwhile, hope you enjoy your new S25!
    TB is a great company and I hope this incident doesn't cement your views of them.

Check if it is on the packing list with a 1 not a 0. When it is late they let it on the invoice and the packing list but on this packing list they make a 0 for "amount of items"

As for the straps I was disappointed at first too because all my other packs have way thicker padding. But after some time of using I realized that the amount of padding does the job. It is as much as need be and as little as possible. This makes the pack lither than my other packs even though it is tuffer.
    I hope it grows on you.
    tpnl likes this.

Sorry to read you are missing a small café bag. If it is actually charged on your CC, definitely contact customer service. They will definitely correct this. I think that sometimes, to help TB anticipation syndrome (as opposed to TBAS - TB acquisition syndrome) for backordered items, they send what they have as quickly as possible when the majority of the items are there.

Concerning your thoughts on the S25, I have a few observations after using TB backpacks (I have an S25, SA and BB):

1) Feeling a bit small - I agree that it does feel a bit small at first. I have an SA (basically one big compartment with 2 side areas) and it feels bigger even though the 2 bags are similar sizes. However, when I took a step back, I found that, for me, this feeling had to do with the way I packed things. I had to look at the way the bag was designed - the S25 has more build in organization that may require you to rethink how you pack things. The S25 volume is divided 50/50 between the main compartment and the build in organized sections - most other bags are more like 75/25 giving the illusion of more space but with less usable organized space. Also, as the S25 is more curved in shape, I found that I needed to look at the physical size and shape of some of the items I was carrying and see where they fit best (e.g. long thin items in the side pockets, bulkier items in the bottom, more tall wide things or some packing cubes in the main compartment so as to not have everything at the bottom).

2) Thin shoulder straps - take a look at the link below on what makes a good backpack strap:

What Makes a Good Backpack Strap? - Carryology - Exploring better ways to carry

From my experience, do not let the thickness of the straps fool you. You actually want to make sure the type of foam used is correct (EVA foam) and that the binding are good. From what I read, Tom has done a lot of research on this to come up with the right combination (from the website description: The shoulder straps are padded with .375" / 10 mm EV50 closed-cell foam and feature an underside of ETC knit to keep you cool and comfortable). I have found the TB straps very comfortable and the fact that they are not bulky actually makes the backpack easier to take on and off - a huge plus in crowded areas. I have tried other backpacks with nice "airmesh" foam that felt good at the beginning but did not have the right density and so just compressed when worn defeating the goal of having some sponginess to absorb the weight easier.

Hope this helps

Cheer!
    Last edited by tpnl; 05-17-2014 at 12:26 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Rufus, when I got my first Synapse (I have three) I thought the same thing about the straps. They are so thin, how can they possibly be comfortable? As it turns out, they are comfortable even when I over stuff the bag. Please try them. Load the bag with your regular stuff and just walk around your house for awhile. TB has mastered the Tardis factor too.

Rest assured customer service WILL take care of any shipping troubles. No worries there.
    Moose
    gochicken and tpnl like this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I agree, give the S25 a try. I think it is one of the best backpacks I have ever had. You can put a lot into it.
    tpnl and vivelly like this.

Dito...I found the straps to be just right (only have actively tried the S19 so far) comfortable and not as bulky as with other backpacks. Makes it more easy to put on too when you have thick jackets on. The whole bag feels light and comfortable even if fully packed.
    Give it a go..you will be surprised...and as with the "looks small"...you will be surprised at how much you can fit into it. I find that with all TB bags...they dont look bulky but they swallow everything up like a black hole...magic!
    And as for customer service: they are the best...ever....EVER! You let them know and they sort you out. Hope it all works out for you...
    tpnl likes this.

I found the strap to be "skimpy" when I first got my Smart Alec, so I know exactly how you feel. However, I found after use that they are just about perfect. I simply had to adjust my perceptions as to what constitutes comfort and strength in a backpack.

If you want something beefier, you could try the Brain Bag. I use the BB now whenever I travel, as my multi-day suitcase plus computer carry. However, when I get home I immediately switch back to the Smart Alec because it's truly ideal for in-city use.

Quote Originally Posted by jwiegley View Post
    I found the strap to be "skimpy" when I first got my Smart Alec, so I know exactly how you feel. However, I found after use that they are just about perfect. I simply had to adjust my perceptions as to what constitutes comfort and strength in a backpack.
    This was my experience, too. I wondered how the straps would be up to the bag, and yet, my Nordic Dyneema SA is my favorite backpack in the world. It's SO incredibly comfortable. My S19 is a little less so, but I think it's because it's just a bit small (I'm 5'9"). My nordic/solar S25 is on backorder right now. I'm looking forward to seeing what it feels like.
    Seriously, like, so much Nordic Dyneema I don't even know what to do with myself anymore. They will bury me in it. "Where's Mom's urn? WHERE DID YOU GUYS PUT THE SYNAPSE 19 WITH MOM'S ASHES?"

Sorry you’re disappointed I know ordering bags just based on an image on a computer can be a crap shoot.

Obviously not all bags fit everyone or every need, but I have been pretty pleased with my S25. I did have the same initial thought about the straps, but found they worked fine for me. However, I don’t use it for any real extended hikes or anything, but that has more to do with the waist belt than the shoulder straps. I personally prefer to use a belt and place the load on my hips as opposed to my shoulders for extended use. However, again, for general use as a day bag it works fine.

The only real complaint I had with the bag was that the straps seems to be stitched too close together. I will also freely admit to being a little bigger than average (6’1” & 225) but then again that is the disadvantage of not being able to try it on first.

@ Rufus: are you still reading this or did we overwhelm you with our love for a bag that you are (hopefully just for now) not so impressed with? I would like to hear if the Synapse grows on you and if everything else came in order as well.

But as there can be no one bag that suits everybody I here that TB has really good return-policies and if that can not be done have an equally good resell value.

What I want to say here: any news or thoughts on your side?

Ilkyway

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. So far I haven't had a chance to put the S25 through its paces. I plan on using it as a carry on for short business trips, as well as day to day stuff. I am loathe to return stuff like this, so I will probably keep it and I'm guessing based on all the feedback here that either I will get used to the fit and size, or my initial impressions were a bit misguided.

By the way, in the side pockets, is it supposed to have a gap allowing pass through between the side pockets and the deep center pocket? I understand its a single pice of dyneema which separates the two, but I thought the sewing would completely segregate the pockets.

About the missing SCB, I am writing an email just now to customer service, so hopefully they can get back to me tomorrow. I did notice my color and fabric selection is no longer available though...

@Rufus
    are you referring to the gaps right at the bottom of the compartments? They are supposed to be there. They're a result of the construction.
    If you're carrying a water bottle and are worried about leakage, a solution is to place your bottle in a ziplock bag before placing it in the center compartment to act as a sleeve. The stuff sacks work well for that too.
    Personally, I LOVE that gap! I'm not using mine for a water bottle, I placed a powerbank into my center compartment and made use of the gap to thread my charging cable to charge my cell phone in the left compartment.
    tpnl and Ilkyway like this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    By the way, in the side pockets, is it supposed to have a gap allowing pass through between the side pockets and the deep center pocket? I understand its a single pice of dyneema which separates the two, but I thought the sewing would completely segregate the pockets.
    @Rufus, You might want to read the Synapse 25 water bottle pocket not sealed from other pockets? thread for more details, but I'll excerpt the key response from the Tom Bihn folks from my post near the end of the thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Beau View Post
    Glad you brought this up. Those small gaps you both noticed in the side pockets are actually necessitated by the constructions process. Because the pockets of the Synapse 25 have some pretty radical curves, it's nearly impossible to sew them-- those small gaps in the extreme corners of the vertical pocket dividers are a small compromise with the real-world of manufacturing things. They're neither flaws in the design nor the construction.

To be brief: they're supposed to be there.
    There are a few other discussion points you can read up on by following the more detailed links in that thread and it's posts, , including the specific comments that Beau was responding to. You can also view the thread Beau's reply was taken from by either activating the arrow beside his name at the start of the quote in a web browser or the "Originally posted by" link in the TapaTalk app.

HTH. moriond

The TBitis may take a while to stick. I first got a TB bag - original ristretto - two years ago. I didn't use it regularly and finally rediscovered TB in March this year and am a fan of many products now.

In my experience, CS will take good care of you. I had a missing small shop bag in a recent order and they shipped it right out to me once we established contact. I hope your desired item is in stock and it works out.
    Minicia likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0