Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: UPS is being very, very odd.

Could you be receiving a gift?
    Janine and taminca like this.

FYI: There are always email scams, they want your info or to harm your computer.

1) Look at the email. If it does not make sense, delete it, it is a scam.
    2) If you don't know who it is from, delete it.
    3) If it says its from usps, ups, fedex, paypal, etc, do NOT click on any link in it unless you were expecting an email response.
    4) If the email content is generic and trying to convince you of mortgage or shipping issue without an order number you KNOW, delete it.
    5) Never open any .zip files in emails, they will hurt your computer.
    6) Never click on any unsubscribe links to emails, this is how they validate your email address is good and they sell it to someone else. If you have done business with the company recently, then the unsubscribe link should be okay.

When you look at an email, move the mouse over the FROM name and any links before you click on them or reply. In most email software, somewhere on the screen will popup to tell you the actual link. Read that to ensure the link matches what you are hovering on or matches the email subject or name you KNOW. If it does not, it is spam, delete it.

Thanks, @thorn. Excellent steps to avoid falling into a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    FYI: There are always email scams, they want your info or to harm your computer.

1) Look at the email. If it does not make sense, delete it, it is a scam.
    2) If you don't know who it is from, delete it.
    3) If it says its from usps, ups, fedex, paypal, etc, do NOT click on any link in it unless you were expecting an email response.
    4) If the email content is generic and trying to convince you of mortgage or shipping issue without an order number you KNOW, delete it.
    5) Never open any .zip files in emails, they will hurt your computer.
    6) Never click on any unsubscribe links to emails, this is how they validate your email address is good and they sell it to someone else. If you have done business with the company recently, then the unsubscribe link should be okay.

When you look at an email, move the mouse over the FROM name and any links before you click on them or reply. In most email software, somewhere on the screen will popup to tell you the actual link. Read that to ensure the link matches what you are hovering on or matches the email subject or name you KNOW. If it does not, it is spam, delete it.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    Could you be receiving a gift?
    I like this thought, @Mausermama! As it is, my TB Wish List is quite long .
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Yes, be careful I have received the USPS scammers email and it looks very real. If you don’t stop and think for a second it’s very easy to click on one of these things.

As for UPS in general I’ve had pretty good luck with them over the years. I did have one delivery confirmation email, but no package. Later that day I found the package at my back patio door instead of the front or side door. Maybe the driver felt it would be more secure there or something.

Quote Originally Posted by priceless View Post
    UPS is acting strangely for me as well. I live about 35 miles from Seattle (but in Canada). My current package has left Seattle 3 times so far and been through Kentucky twice.

Next time, I'm going to be the courier and take a trip to the mothership.
    Hey, I'm in Kentucky!

But no...I'm not intercepting your packages. You can't pin that on me. Nobody saw. I have an alibi. I was very busy in a public place and lots of reputable people can place me there at the time of the delivery rerouting. *shifty eyes*

Seriously thought - Louisville KY is a UPS hub so if your package was VERY BADLY routed, it is reasonable to land there.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I emailed CS last night and received an email back from Paul today, plus a call from a nice lady at UPS. Here's what I emailed back to Paul:

"The box was at my front door this morning, but it had clearly been opened and resealed with masking tape. All the items were inside, but they had been handled. The Double OP was dirty - there was a smudge on the clear window and it was covered with what looked like sawdust. There was a little dust on the other bags as well.

I examined everything closely. The PCBP and PCSBs are intact and the dust brushed off easily. The zipper pulls and double carabiners are fine. The OP took a little work, but I wiped off the smudge and removed the dust from inside and out.

I've been ciphering on what to do. The nice lady from UPS called while I was at lunch with a friend so I didn't have time to discuss options with her, but she said that I could call back at any time for assistance.

I'm speculating here, but what seems most likely is that UPS delivered my box to the wrong address. Then, to speculate even further, someone at that address thought, "Oh goodie! A present!" and opened it. When they saw the packing list, they realized it was a misdelivered box. They taped it back up at put it on my doorstep this morning.

I'm annoyed that UPS made a mistake, but I can't really be angry about it. People make mistakes, yo. I probably should call them back and explain what happened so that they have a record of the probable misdelivery and can use that to identify trends and whatnot.

Because all the items are present and intact, the only damage is that I was inconvenienced by the delay of their arrival and that I feel super creeped out that someone opened my box and grubbed up my Double OP. This is mitigated by the fact that I am deeply in love with Navy Parapack and now I feel like I've rescued the Double OP somehow, which makes me feel protective and maternal about it. Once some new trauma occurs in my life I'll forget all about this and be a happy camper again.

Since we're in the process of moving, this is the last box I'll receive from Tom Bihn at the 927 Journal address, which means I don't have to worry about shady delivery drivers or neighbors who don't read shipping labels before tearing into packages. I really, *really* don't like the idea that my box was opened."

Whew. I'll post a picture of the box in a moment.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Here's the box, as I found it on my doorstep this morning. It was starting to rain so I took this picture in the van.

Name:  14000426348_5443c1c2d7_z.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  109.6 KB

Wow, that box is so intact! Wish my boxes through üps looked that good. There's not a single hole or dent in it.

Thanks for the update - what an interesting development, but unfortunate that your stuff was handled! I agree with you that it probably was misdelivered, for this reason: I have never seen UPS or the USPS use masking tape like that. (USPS sells clear heavy-duty tape for packing boxes, and their older Priority Mail type of tape also had a clear background. I appreciate that somebody tried to tape it up nicely, but I don't think it was these large delivery services.)

At least with USPS (and I realize yours was UPS) I have gotten a form letter in the past for large damaged boxes, or a plastic envelope that holds a torn original envelope, with something printed indicating that "your material was damaged, we take responsibility, we tried to pack it back up."

That said, weird stuff still happens. Last year we got a partially damaged box in the mail from a family member with Christmas gifts. Her original gift items were in there, plus a form letter from USPS saying the box had been damaged. And a makeup kit that she had not packed in there somehow found its way in. It did not look like the kind of thing she would have sent for us, and indeed she had not. So somebody out there is missing a (chintzy) makeup kit that I donated. I suppose I could have taken it back to the USPS but I didn't, and I don't know how they would have tracked its origin.

I bet with a legal contract, there are a lot of truck drivers who would love to make some side money running packages when they don't have a load to go back home with.

Geez, you'd think the person who opened it by mistake would have put a note on it, if they didn't know how to contact you. I would have, along with an apology for the error.
    Janine likes this.
    SE: b-Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Solar Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Nordic Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm Cocoa

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black, Cocoa
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

A few years back one of my bags arrived in a trashed TB box but, that box had been packaged in a box that held shoes. It was big enough to hold about ten shoe boxes. It too was pretty messed up. It was sealed with tape that had Chinese type characters on it. It was the strangest dang thing going. I sent Darcy photos but have no idea what the outcome of the investigation with UPS was.
    Last edited by Moose; 05-14-2014 at 04:33 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Wow! UPS delivered a box from Amazon to my door yesterday. The box was open - ttaoe was ripped off down the middle.

Eveything on the list was inside the box. Shoddy packaging?

Eh - my TB package scheduled for delivery on May 13, delivery rescheduled to May 14 - just checked tracking - delivery rescheduled to May 15

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast