Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: UPS is being very, very odd.

Customs for gifts? Well THAT sucks. How do they calculat that when there is no invoice? Well they will have some weird instruction for that. We Germans a very keen on instructions you know? We have them for EVERYTHING.

I know! I am trying to renew my passport atm...embassy website has so many instructions that my head is spinning..so I called them and they told me to read the instructions on the website. sigh..
    Yes ...they took the value of the gifts from the value I put on the parcel (for insurance reasons) those were baby clothes, calender, a cup etc...so nothing that my sister could make business with. Very annoying. It really takes the fun out of sending parcels.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Next to the like button there should be on called I feel your pain or something like this. I of course do not LIKE what you wrote. I hope you get what I am saying.

I do Ilkyway.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I've been getting messages that I'd rather not get, such as 'UPS has made an error and there will be a least 1 business day delay in delivering your package'. The package before last was 'A UPS trailer was late and your package is rescheduled to be delivered on <insert 1+ days later>'.

In my experience, I usually get the alert some time after the delivery. I think it takes some time to travel through the system. I have never gotten the notice (text or push alert) and not had a package waiting...
    This has been my experience, too.

While I've generally had good luck with UPS, in the last month or two virtually every shipment has been delayed by a day or two somewhere along the way with the "late trailer" message" (or with no explanation), usually in Jacksonville, FL. My current TB order -- with Black Dyneema PCSB and TT -- just got pushed back from delivery today to tomorrow, which makes 9 days from Seattle to Florida.

I don't bother with the alerts any more because they tend to come quite a bit later than delivery. Fortunately I work close to where I live, and I know when the UPS driver tends to be in my neighborhood, so I just drive by the house during that window to check for the box.

For most packages from TB, a signature has not been required, so the driver has just left them sitting on my front porch. Fortunately, none have walked off yet (knock on wood)!
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (w/Iberian), Pilot (w/UV)
    Black Dyneema: Tri-Star (w/Iberian), Aeronaut30 (w/Iberian), Synapse25 (w/Wasabi), Pilot (w/Wasabi)

Quote Originally Posted by ceepee View Post
    Cream of the crop as far as couriers go has got to be DPD for me. You can even track the delivery person as he wends his way to you .... It's like stalking .... but legal
    I agree - DPD are streets ahead of most UK couriers. And if you think UPS is bad, you should try Yodel. Except don't. Really.

On the plus side, charging customs duty COD at least means that everything gets signed for. My one TB parcel that came via USPS and thence presumably passed on to Royal Mail got left on our doorstep. My husband gets a lot of very boring work deliveries this way (order forms, non-fiction book catalogues to give to his customers) so they probably thought it was just more of the same!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Is they would leave my TP-Box on the doorstep that would not be good for my health.

My deliveries to Canada normally arrive a day early. I usually have them sent to work so I don't have to worry about being at home for deliveries. I haven't had any issues yet, thank goodness.

Odd? Yes, I would say so. Just received an email alert from UPS that a package from TB will be delivered tomorrow. Normally, that would result in a tremendous surge of joy in me...but in this case, I: (1) have not received an email from TB Shipping that a package was mailed; (2) cannot find the UPS tracking number associated any of my TB backorders on the "Order History" webpage; and (3) will not be home tomorrow. The last one is causing me the greatest concern. Hmm...
    Ilkyway likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

A surprise! You have something to look forward to, taminca!
    Janine likes this.

There was a scam last year that used UPS or FedEx fake emails about pending deliveries so I wonder if it has resurfaced in some countries?

UPS is acting strangely for me as well. I live about 35 miles from Seattle (but in Canada). My current package has left Seattle 3 times so far and been through Kentucky twice.

Next time, I'm going to be the courier and take a trip to the mothership.
    Janine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    There was a scam last year that used UPS or FedEx fake emails about pending deliveries so I wonder if it has resurfaced in some countries?
    Yikes! But taminca did mention that the package is from TB, the scammers wouldn't be that resourceful as to be able to find out she's a TBhollic, right?
    As long as she didn't reply to the email with her credit card details, all should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    Yikes! But taminca did mention that the package is from TB, the scammers wouldn't be that resourceful as to be able to find out she's a TBhollic, right?
    As long as she didn't reply to the email with her credit card details, all should be fine.
    I did not reply. And will not now that I am totally paranoid about a potential scam.
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by whisper View Post
    Did not hear about this, but thanks for the warning!
    -- David Whyte

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast