Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree408Likes

Thread: Official Aeronaut 30 Thread

The pictures online for the aeronaut look fairly light.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    The pictures online for the aeronaut look fairly light.
    The picture was taken in full light indoors, the way one would take a modeling picture.

In real life, all the Ballistic colors look more like French Napoleon Empire era colors, very "masculine" and rich.

If you are into fountain pen, the color is very close to Poussiere de Lune, an ink from Herbin.

I saw the Ballistic and Cordura colors at the store, when I visited, in 2011.
    But, if you still have any doubt, you can request a fabric sample. I did that for Parapack and immediately was taken by Steel shimmering quality.

I'll second backpack's description of the colours - my aubergine knitting tool pouches are several shades darker than that Aeronaut photo, more like a rich warm purple. Likewise iberian dyneema is richer than it appears in photos, more like blood red than bright scarlet.

I'm not sure it's the indoor lighting that's to blame, though, as the outdoor photos of the steel FJN make it look substantially paler than it really is. The simple fact is that colours are never going to be accurate and consistent on a computer screen, because a) screens vary in colour temperature and b) they emit light rather than reflecting it.
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

O. M. G.

I have been waiting YEARS for this. Like, 6 years at least (it's all there in old posts). And a whole lot of travelling with bags that weren't quite right.

*swoons*
    Last edited by cpau; 05-07-2014 at 02:16 AM.

Please say more..You know you want to...
    jangle likes this.
    Navy/Solar PILOT, w/13" MBA cache, Large Shop Bag, various colorful pouches, straps, sacks, 3D mesh, large Dyneema org. cubes and Olive SE. As always, more TB stuff on order!

Guaranteed Cabin Space and the Aeronaut 30

I'm torn about this bag. The Aeronaut, which I used to have, can be too heavy for me to carry comfortably. I was hoping that this new version would be just a little smaller than the Aeronaut, but not dramatically smaller. However, at 30 liters, it is between the capacity of the Western Flyer and the Tri-Star, and may not be enough for me on long trips. I was looking for something about 35-40 liters, I think.

On the other hand, I was exploring the different carry-on requirements of the airlines, and I did notice one interesting thing. As we all know, even if a bag fits most sizers, it can still be gate-checked if the overhead bins are already too full. On EasyJet, they are now offering a guarantee that your bag will stay in the cabin with you if it is 50 x 40 x 20 cm or less. So the Tri-Star, Aeronaut 30 and Western Flyer would all qualify.

EasyJet seems to have some draconian rules, but at least they are evenly enforced, from what I could read. It's annoying when the order of boarding determines who gets the overhead space. I keep searching for the "maximum capacity bag that is guaranteed to stay with me". This is, of course, a moving target. However, the Aeronaut 30 might fill that role.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    On the other hand, I was exploring the different carry-on requirements of the airlines, and I did notice one interesting thing. As we all know, even if a bag fits most sizers, it can still be gate-checked if the overhead bins are already too full. On EasyJet, they are now offering a guarantee that your bag will stay in the cabin with you if it is 50 x 40 x 20 cm or less. So the Tri-Star, Aeronaut 30 and Western Flyer would all qualify.
    They qualify as long as you don't stuff them. My WF slid into the smaller EasyJet sizer OK, but I think the TS would only do so if it was fairly lightly packed. It doesn't take much for the bag to bulge on each side by half an inch or so, and then you're looking at a lot of squishing to get it in there if it's ever disputed.

OTOH the sleek lines and ease-of-carrying of the WF/TS form factor don't usually merit a second glance from the EasyJet ground crew
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I kind of wish some of the major airlines here in the states would adopt that kind of policy. Enforcement seems inconsistent at best here. After a couple bad experiences checking luggage (I haven't in 10 years except for a couple valet checks), I now strategize as best I can, hence my ongoing push to be a minimalist traveler and the search for my perfect bag (which has gotten smaller as the years go by).

And not having to worry about luggage on the plane is only part of the equation - dealing with public transport when traveling, not having to worry about stashing luggage when I want to go sightseeing after getting off the plane/train, and of course the mad sprint across half the terminal to make my connecting flight when my last flight was delayed are all part of it.

Maybe one small pic of the Aeronaut 30 to hold us over? Hard to debate dimensions for another month, haha! All kidding aside, can't wait to see it!
    eWalker likes this.
    Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch | Various Key Straps

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    Maybe one small pic of the Aeronaut 30 to hold us over? Hard to debate dimensions for another month, haha! All kidding aside, can't wait to see it!
    Sure! We posted one (very small!) last week on Instagram.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    There is a tiny glimpse in a pic posted to Twitter. The zippers will be the new style from the looks of things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must've had the idea at the same time as @Darcy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Yes, very small indeed, haha! I think every week a bigger piece should be unveiled
    Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch | Various Key Straps

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    What is that color? It looks too bluish to be steel...

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Orders placed! Countdown to Mid August for the A45, A30, NF20 & CP10 : 15 days to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    What is that color? It looks too bluish to be steel...

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    If this would be a new steel more on the blue side... That would be so great and bad in one go. My mother had a long cloak in a grey/blue velvet when I was small. I always thought of it as the most elegant thing in the world.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0