Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree408Likes

Thread: Official Aeronaut 30 Thread

Thanks for the info that clarifies the reason for checkerboard. I will look for a video showing how that is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    Now if the a30 was in Nordic !! That is my favorite. Just trying to decide if the lighter weight of dyneema vs probably more sturdy ballistic...
    Besides what Moriond says, one of the key factor of choosing between Travel Dyneema and Ballistic is the airlines you normally fly.

Do you usually fly with airlines that weight bags? If you do, there is a significant difference between the weight of each bag, when every gram count

Carrying the same bag in the two different fabrics is not that significant if most of your trips are the airport, hotel, meeting/conference, hotel, airport type with a taxi or a rental car.

If your itinerary includes a mix of wardrobes: business, business casual, casual and resort wear and many destinations, Dyneema will work in your advantage, by allowing you to take more things.

However, Ballistic is ultra gorgeous and business like, and not a concern, weight wise, if you get business class/frequent flyer perks.

But if you are in the tech industry, want to take public transports and, use some time for your trip to sightsee or live like the locals, Dyneema is best.

Many countries have narrow streets and stairways on steep inclines.
    Indoor stairwells are very narrow unless the houses are Victorian or Edwardian mansions or apartments built as lofts in former factories.

Another vote for Dyneema are very inefficient airports, where the trek, from the counter, then the various checkpoints, to the gate is a sure way to melt, all the local gourmet food, ingested during the trip.

But Ballistic is best if one is forced to gate check or just too tired to make the huge airport trek with a full bag after very intense meetings or too much of la dolce vita or mountain adventures or a very enthusiast country beer, sake or wine tour.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-02-2014 at 08:24 PM.

It looks like the shipment dates for all versions of the A30 in Black ballistic are already into the second production run shipping in late September. Luckily, I placed my order two days ago when all color options were showing mid-August. So, informally, it appears that black is the most popular exterior color so far

I am so excited!
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Besides what Moriond says, one of the key factor of choosing between Travel Dyneema and Ballistic is the airlines you normally fly.

Do you usually fly with airlines that weight bags? If you do, there is a significant difference between the weight of each bag, when every gram count

Carrying the same bag in the two different fabrics is not that significant if most of your trips are the airport, hotel, meeting/conference, hotel, airport type with a taxi or a rental car.

If your itinerary includes a mix of wardrobes: business, business casual, casual and resort wear and many destinations, Dyneema will work in your advantage, by allowing you to take more things.

However, Ballistic is ultra gorgeous and business like, and not a concern, weight wise, if you get business class/frequent flyer perks.

But if you are in the tech industry, want to take public transports and, use some time for your trip to sightsee or live like the locals, Dyneema is best.

Many countries have narrow streets and stairways on steep inclines.
    Indoor stairwells are very narrow unless the houses are Victorian or Edwardian mansions or apartments built as lofts in former factories.

Another vote for Dyneema are very inefficient airports, where the trek, from the counter, then the various checkpoints, to the gate is a sure way to melt, all the local gourmet food, ingested during the trip.

But Ballistic is best if one is forced to gate check or just too tired to make the huge airport trek with a full bag after very intense meetings or too much of la dolce vita or mountain adventures or a very enthusiast country beer, sake or wine tour.
    Dear backpack-
    Thanks for your detailed analysis. I already pulled the trigger on aubergine before you posted this, but still wonder about dyneema. IF dyneema had been available in some other color combo, I probably would have taken that. will wait and see if I decide the aubergine bag is too heavy.
    Although I usually fly united(business), also usually check a 22inch rolling suitcase. Last trip included cruise (formal nights), european capitals so also took WF and CP as my carry-on pieces.
    I am buying this bag more for weekend car trips, or car trips to the Sierras. Not sure if I would actually take it on a plane trip, since I am old enough that walking with a backpack through the airport is not my preference. (And DH has a bad back)

Just FYI, I ordered a Ballistic A30 for myself and a Dyeema A30 for my wife and I will be sure to test pack, weigh and write a brief summary comparing and contrasting both when they arrive. I have the Smart Alec in both Ballistic and Dyneema and I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite.

Do the posted weights include the shoulder strap?

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Do the posted weights include the shoulder strap?
    The Absolute strap is an optional accessory, so I don't believe they include that in the weight. I recall verifying the weight of my A45 when I first got it, and pretty certain it was the same or very close to the listed weight without the strap (that scrap of paper is at home sadly, so I can't reference my measurements here).

The Absolute strap has some heft to it on its own, but when in use seems to do a rather magical job of making a heavy bag feel lighter than it really is.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

That was a really helpful analysis! I had thought that the benefit of dynema was strictly about it being lighter! But your post seems to suggest that dynema has more "give" which allows more flexibility in placement of items and amount! I will be interested to see packing videos of the A30 for a week long trip!

What I am learning about the forgiving characteristic of dynema leads me to wonder if a dynema A30 would hold as much as a balistic tri star!
    Also as colors go a blue and solar combo would be what I would find attractive!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    Dear backpack-
    Thanks for your detailed analysis. I already pulled the trigger on aubergine before you posted this, but still wonder about dyneema. IF dyneema had been available in some other color combo, I probably would have taken that. will wait and see if I decide the aubergine bag is too heavy.
    Although I usually fly united(business), also usually check a 22inch rolling suitcase. Last trip included cruise (formal nights), european capitals so also took WF and CP as my carry-on pieces.
    I am buying this bag more for weekend car trips, or car trips to the Sierras. Not sure if I would actually take it on a plane trip, since I am old enough that walking with a backpack through the airport is not my preference. (And DH has a bad back)
    In that case, it is the perfect choice!

First Aeronaut 30 review I have seen:

Gear Review: Tom Bihn Aeronaut 30 | One Bag, One World

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Black/Wasabi and Black/Steel now appear listed as in stock. That's a lot sooner than the Late September pre-order text that was there for the last few days. Great job TB Crew!
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Coyote sure didn't last long! Fingers still crossed that Aubergine/wasabi is next.
    Hawaii and taminca like this.

I ordered the A30 in black dyneema but am really second-guessing my choice. The accessory items I am likely to carry with it (Synapse 19 or Pilot) are also dyneema, one of them black, and I really don't like the matchy-matchy look. Also I really prefer the look of solid colors. My only concern is the weight, but I'm not sure how much difference that will make once the bag is fully packed...
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Black/Wasabi and Black/Steel now appear listed as in stock. That's a lot sooner than the Late September pre-order text that was there for the last few days. Great job TB Crew!
    Someone needs to stop me. My Aubergine love is without equal BUT the thought of having an A30 for my upcoming trip is tempting me beyond belief to order a Black/Wasabi NOW!!! You really cannot go wrong with classic Black. And Wasabi is my favorite interior color. Argh!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0