Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree408Likes

Thread: Official Aeronaut 30 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    HELP! Do I want a black dyneema a30. Or aubergine?

Any opinion on dyneema vs ballistic?
    Same dilemma but on the NFTD. Black dyneema is stylish, pliable, beautiful to look at, and just that much lighter. But aubergine is AUBERGINE!

aubergine for the win!

I have thw WF in aubergine/steel. I never wear orange, and very rarely red! I am more of a blue/ purple/ gray/black person

Their you go Hawaii. Than aubergine sounds good. You have a travel-set growing there. Just my 2 cents but I am an aubergine-fan.

Now if the a30 was in Nordic !! That is my favorite. Just trying to decide if the lighter weight of dyneema vs probably more sturdy ballistic...
    kkintea likes this.

I don't quite get this:
    To make it smaller but still allow full-sized folks to carry it, we had to change the way the bag went together: the padded back panel under which the backpack straps hide is actually a bit longer/taller than on the Aeronaut 45. The gist is that you needn't be 20% shorter to wear the Aeronaut 30. In other words: if the Aeronaut 45 is a good fit for you, the Aeronaut 30 will be as well.
    The A30 is over two inches shorter than the A45, so is it just that the difference in length comes from other parts of the bag? From the end pockets, maybe?

I found the A45 too long for my back - even though I'm 5'8" - and was torn over waiting for the A30 because I like the duffle design, but it may well be that ordering the Tristar was the right choice for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Shor View Post
    I don't quite get this:

The A30 is over two inches shorter than the A45, so is it just that the difference in length comes from other parts of the bag? From the end pockets, maybe?
    If you look at the side shots of the two bags, you'll see that the A45's backpack straps and padded panel are entirely within the center main pocket's footprint. The end pockets are constructed like separate pockets that were added to the end. The A30's backpack straps and padded panel run the entire length and width of the bag. The end pockets are more like cutouts from a single large bag.

An interesting side effect of that is the way the attachment points for the shoulder strap are oriented. In the A45, they are oriented perpendicular to the main carry handle because they are attached to the seam between main pocket and end pocket. On the A30, they are oriented at an angle closer to parallel to the main handle because they're attached to the seam between the bottom of the bag and the top of the bag.

All "top", "bottom", and "side" are intended to be interpreted as relative to the bag placed down for packing with the zippered main pocket facing up.

Volunteer Moderator
    Now if the a30 was in Nordic !! That is my favorite. Just trying to decide if the lighter weight of dyneema vs probably more sturdy ballistic...
    Either of these decisions (Black Dyneema/Wasabi or Aubergine Ballistic A30) will probably work for you, but I agree that if Nordic were offered I would choose that. And the lighter weight could be enough to sway the decision to Black Dyneema for you. I normally carry the Tri-Star (Indigo Ballisitic Nylon, 3 lb 6 oz), so either of the A30 weights will be less than this. The difference between the weights of the A30 in Ballistic Nylon (2 lbs, 14 oz) and Dyneema (2 lbs, 5.6 oz / 1066 grams) is close to the difference between the weights of the Ballistic Nylon (2 lb 10 oz / 1200 grams) and Dyneema (2 lb 3 oz / 985 grams) versions of the Western Flyer, but remember you will also be carrying more (30 l vs. 26 l).

It's easier for me to judge the weight difference/advantage in terms of what I can carry because when I go down in volume (33 l to 30 l), I'll be carrying less, and also carrying a lighter bag. For the A45, I'd probably be more comfortable with the Black Dyneema option, although I have one in Crimson Ballistic Nylon (purchased way before Dyneema was an option). You just have to figure out the weight point where making this selection is comfortable for you.

I think that each of the 400d Dyneema colors has its own attractions. For the Nordic Dyneema, it's the way that the color of the Nordic threads combine with the silvery sheen of the 400d weave and white strands to change under different lighting conditions. These subtle color textures are particularly noticeable against other colors (which is why some people first became fans of this color seen against Solar, I think). Steel has a soft sheen that works well especially against the palette of gray tone colors (Aubergine, Navy, Storm, Steel) and other neutrals (looks great against Cayenne). Black Dyneema works differently for me: in travel bags like the Pilot and others where there is a basic rectangular design to the shape, this fabric makes me feel as though a designer chose or developed it as part of the integral design motif for the bag. It also beautifully brings out saturated colors (as well as going with my favorite Hemp Little Swift!).

I don't think you can go wrong with your decision. I am still curious about whether we'll see another great 400d Dyneema color down the line, although that may not happen until much later in the year.

HTH moriond.

I was really excited about this bag, but the color choices sure are a disappointment, just Black, Aubergine, Steel, and Coyote? And there still aren't any high visibility interior colors like Solar back yet. Sad.

I think they could offer more preferences by pre-cutting the pieces of all colors into ziplocks. Then sew the outside color preference with inside dyneema preference as they get ordered. This reduces the change of certain color combinations sitting in stock that never get ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by kolepard View Post
    I was really excited about this bag, but the color choices sure are a disappointment, just Black, Aubergine, Steel, and Coyote? And there still aren't any high visibility interior colors like Solar back yet. Sad.
    This, sadly, reflects a general slimming down in the number of colours available for the Ballistic Nylon bags, and the retirement of all but the black option in the heavier Dyneema/Nylon fabric. Solar is of course also retiring (for the second time!), notionally having been replaced by Wasabi as a high visibility interior colour, so I imagine an A30 with a solar lining is unlikely ever to happen unless Solar gets another last-minute reprieve or is resurrected at some time in the future...

The only colour combo I really like in the A30 at the moment is the Aubergine/Wasabi. So much so that my mouse keeps lurking around the 'add to basket' button!
    A45 crim/stl TS navy/solr A30 aub/wsbi S19 nrdc/stl P nrdc/solr CP blk/stl; SE wsbi CQPC ibrn, solr Ri aub/stl 3DCC card TSS4 wsbi K card TT solr,nrdc,blk CC card/stl PCBP solr PP navy QK frst,cyte,aub + loadsa cubes!

Aubergine/Wasabi doesn't work for me. <sigh>

I too was puzzled that a brand new bag has a limited selection of colors!
    One other question is whether the checkered pattern of all dynemas is a structural requirement or aesthetic decision?
    Otherwise why no solid colored exterior dynemas to choose from?

Quote Originally Posted by Packbetter View Post
    I too was puzzled that a brand new bag has a limited selection of colors!
    One other question is whether the checkered pattern of all dynemas is a structural requirement or aesthetic decision?
    Otherwise why no solid colored exterior dynemas to choose from?
    The dyneema used in Tom Bihn bags is actually a woven pattern of 400d dyneema and 420d ripstop nylon. Dyneema material can't accept dye so it remains its natural white color. The ripstop nylon accepts dye so you get the diamond/checkerboard pattern. It's sewn together in that pattern for maximum strength and abrasion resistance. That's why TB bags made of dyneema are never solid colors.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Now if the a30 was in Nordic !!
    Agreed. Most of my recent bag purchases have been brighter colors. Blue, red, green, orange, etc.
    eWalker likes this.
    Aeronaut (crimson) with Absolute Strap, Synapse (navy), Smart Alec (black/steel/solar), Shop Bag (solar), cache for MBP, cache for iPad2, and numerous pouches and key straps.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0