Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By gatorfan
  • 1 Post By jwiegley

Thread: Cool information about Dyneema

Cool information about Dyneema

Whiile crusing the internet, I found this website from HowStuffWorks that has some interesting information about Dyneema. I searched the forums and couldn't see any place where this may already be posted. It is an interesting read:

HowStuffWorks "How Dyneema Works"

Nice read. They didn't mention the application of dyneema in Tom Bihn's bags though! They should edit the article.

Would be interesting to see a bag in 100% dyneema, but I guess it would be all white.

I am currently waiting on a Steel Dyneema Synapse 25 that I purchased barely used and I am wondering to myself after reading the article if I should experiment with "hard using" this pack just to see how it holds up? This could get interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc983 View Post
    Nice read. They didn't mention the application of dyneema in Tom Bihn's bags though! They should edit the article.

Would be interesting to see a bag in 100% dyneema, but I guess it would be all white.
    would I be right in thinking that bag would stay 100% clean all the time as well? if it doesn't take dye, then nothing should be able to stain it, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorfan View Post
    I am currently waiting on a Steel Dyneema Synapse 25 that I purchased barely used and I am wondering to myself after reading the article if I should experiment with "hard using" this pack just to see how it holds up? This could get interesting.
    while I feel the bag would be pretty tough, aren't the "squares" in between them normal nylon? I vaguely remember reading that the rest of the TB fabric line-up are tougher / harder wearing and can take more abuse then dyneema. (I definitely could be wrong, moriond (or another expert) would correct this if I am :P )
    Last edited by icebeng; 04-13-2014 at 07:08 AM.

You're right, icebeng: it's called "dyneema parapack" because it's a lightweight nylon parapack reinforced with dyneema threads. I imagine the threads give it great resistance to being pulled apart or torn, but the resistance to abrasion and sharp objects should be similar to the underlying parapack material.
    icebeng likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0