Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Joy

New colours? ID Redesign?

Is it just me, or have you been expanding the colour choices for some bags? I don't remember black/hunter for the Imago. Are there any pics of what this combination looks like? Also, has the ID been redesigned? I don't remember ultrasuede pockets or an absolute strap option, etc.
    Last edited by Joy; 10-13-2006 at 07:40 AM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Hi Joy!

We've added Hunter as an option on the Imago, Empire Builder, and ID. Three other colors will probably be added to the palette by March, but we're going to keep them a surprise. Pictures of the bags in Hunter should be added soon.

And the ID has been redesigned (take note of the cool new curve in the flap). Stay tuned for more on that later today/tomorrow.

Edited to add: The Super Ego is now available with Snow Leopard Ultrasuede, Cork, and Galvanized strips.
    Last edited by Darcy; 10-13-2006 at 11:22 AM.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Joy
    Thanks, Darcy! Now I want an ID more than ever...

By the way, I really hate that the Imago page is titled "A MacBook Messenger Bag"; presumably there are more of us out there without a MacBook than with one... Personally, I'm planning to get one to fit my Averatec 1000-series laptop (for which, sadly, there is no appropriately-sized braincell). As soon as I can decide which colours I want.

The ID has been redesigned? It looks great! Now I just need to figure out if I want an Imago or an ID. I need something bigger than the large cafe bag, but I'm not sure exactly how much bigger...

Does the shoulder strap to the ID clip on?

Quote Originally Posted by timarelay
    Does the shoulder strap to the ID clip on?
    The strap doesn't clip on like with a d-ring attachment. It's still what is called a "toothed slide" -- the same kind of attachment that we've always used on the ID and Super Ego.

The toothed slide we previously used accepted only 2" webbing. The new toothed slide accepts 1 1/2" webbing, which allows us to give you the choice of the standard strap, an Absolute Shoulder Strap, or a third kind of strap that will debut in the next couple of months that is a quick-adjust extended pad messenger-style shoulder strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    By the way, I really hate that the Imago page is titled "A MacBook Messenger Bag"; presumably there are more of us out there without a MacBook than with one...
    That's very true! I just changed the title of the page to 'A Laptop Messenger Bag'. Also, because we're talking about the ID redesign in this thread in addition to colors, I changed the title of your thread to "New colours? ID Redesign?" instead of creating a separate thread for the ID discussion -- hope that's OK.

Back to colors....I am really excited about the three colors we're adding! I should be able to tell you more about two of them early next week.
    Last edited by Darcy; 10-13-2006 at 02:40 PM.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy
    The strap doesn't clip on like with a d-ring attachment. It's still what is called a "toothed slide" -- the same kind of attachment that we've always used on the ID and Super Ego.

The toothed slide we previously used accepted only 2" webbing. The new toothed slide accepts 1 1/2" webbing, which allows us to give you the choice of the standard strap, an Absolute Shoulder Strap, or a third kind of strap that will debut in the next couple of months that is a quick-adjust extended pad messenger-style shoulder strap.
    Quick-adjust messenger style shoulder strap? That's exactly the type of stap I love. Are the straps removable or do you have to buy the bag with it? I might have to wait a few more months before I do a bag upgrade.

Joy
    Will the Imago have more new colours than the ones already listed?

Quote Originally Posted by Joy
    Will the Imago have more new colours than the ones already listed?
    I am pretty sure we will be adding the two new colors to the Imago. In the next batch of the Imago (due around early-mid December) the only colors that we will continue from the previous batches will be Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi and Olive/Steel/Wasabi.

Quote Originally Posted by timarelay
    Are the straps removable or do you have to buy the bag with it? I might have to wait a few more months before I do a bag upgrade.
    The straps are removable. You could have all three shoulder straps if you wanted to alternate between them. We're working on a page that allows you to buy the shoulder straps separately from the bag.
    Last edited by Darcy; 10-13-2006 at 02:59 PM.

Joy
    Now I just need to figure out if I want an Imago or an ID.
    The problem is, the real answer to these kinds of questions is invariably "both"... ;-)

A picture of the Black/Hunter/Steel ID

Volunteer Moderator
    Oh, Joy. An answer to the many requests by users who wanted to know whether they could use the Absolute Strap. The strap was the main (though admittedly minor) gripe about the ID bag. Now I have to figure out what to do about my perfectly serviceable ID bag.

Volunteer Moderator

looks great!

Darcy,

The redesign of the ID Messenger Bag looks great! I want to see more pictures, specially of the inside.

I'm very excited to hear that it will be possible to use the absolute strap with the ID!

Moriond asks a good question - will it be possible to get existing ID Messenger bags fitted with the new toothed slide and the Absolute Shoulder Strap?

Also, can you share how the design decision is made whether certain bags are made with the toothed slide and others are made with D-rings for the shoulder strap. There is definitely a different look to each. I think both designs work well and look good. The D-rings give you the flexibility to use a strap with different bags. I can use the Absolute Shoulder Strap with my Aeronaut, with my vertical or horizontal Brain Cell, and with other bags that have D-rings.

Thanks,
    Maverick

Volunteer Moderator

Thumbs up

LOVE the added features and update of the ID! I'm sorely tempted to get one now.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick
    The redesign of the ID Messenger Bag looks great! I want to see more pictures, specially of the inside.
    Hi maverick!

More pictures will be up soon, especially pictures of the new side pockets. I really like the subtle change to the curve of the front flap color inset of the bag.

Moriond asks a good question - will it be possible to get existing ID Messenger bags fitted with the new toothed slide and the Absolute Shoulder Strap?
    Adding the toothed slide to existing ID bags is not possible -- that would be almost as labor intensive as sewing an ID from start to finish.

Also, can you share how the design decision is made whether certain bags are made with the toothed slide and others are made with D-rings for the shoulder strap. There is definitely a different look to each. I think both designs work well and look good. The D-rings give you the flexibility to use a strap with different bags. I can use the Absolute Shoulder Strap with my Aeronaut, with my vertical or horizontal Brain Cell, and with other bags that have D-rings.
    That's a good question for Tom.

You can use the same Absolute Shoulder Strap you have now with the new ID bag -- just take the metal clips and the adjusting hardware off the strap. Then put the clips/hardware back on when you want to use it with a bag that has D-rings.

I am pretty sure we will be adding the two new colors to the Imago. In the next batch of the Imago (due around early-mid December) the only colors that we will continue from the previous batches will be Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi and Olive/Steel/Wasabi.
    I'm glad I have my imago now. I love the colors- steel, blue, kiwi. I just use it as my regular daily bag- not for my laptop. It's perfect. I'd still like a smaller brain bag but I imagine that's not going to happen. I use mine for trips where I take my laptop but it's too big for a regular laptop bag. The features are perfect except for the size for a 5ft tall person.
    Last edited by mrae; 10-16-2006 at 02:12 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0