Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: New colors: Kelly, French Blue, and Steel in the Cafe Bag

Awesome! Loving the French Blue and Steel.
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

I was just casually browsing through the store page for the Small Cafe Bag, and wanted to see color options they had (yes, I've done that an unhealthy number of times, but that's beside the point).
    The Cordura options, including the new ones, are NOT listed as back ordered anymore!
    In fact, only Black Dyneema / Solar shows as being back ordered till late May.

Is this a minor glitch? or can we expect more pictures soon?
    It'll be awesome to see the completed bags!
    taminca likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    can we expect more pictures soon? It'll be awesome to see the completed bags!
    +1. Kelly and French Blue are such gorgeous colors, but I am having trouble visioning them with Navy Cordura interiors. (All of my TB bags have Dyneema interiors in lighter colors.)
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    +1. Kelly and French Blue are such gorgeous colors, but I am having trouble visioning them with Navy Cordura interiors. (All of my TB bags have Dyneema interiors in lighter colors.)
    Another +1. Kelly/Navy is a great color combination that was used before for the (retired) Utility Tote and when the Swift first debuted, so I've seen that (exterior) color combination in old blog posts. When Kelly was previously offered for the Cafe bags, it was typically paired with a Steel interior, as I recall. The darkest interior combinations I've seen for the Cafe Bags are ones like Linen/Olive and Azalea/Sapphire. i have a Small Cafe Bag in Azalea/Sapphire. However, Sapphire is a brighter blue than navy, so I'm also curious about Navy as an interior.

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Me, too. I am assuming it's because of the dearth of dyneema. But, I bit the bullet and ordered a linen/navy MCB and figured that I would use everything wasabi and UV inside. We'll see how it goes.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Slightly off topic here, but may I ask if the present line up of Cordura exterior colors has any chance to be offered later on with a Steel interior instead? Most of the options are paired with either a Navy or Olive interior, which are very nice in their own right, but doesn't quite attract me the way Steel does.

It's so tempting to succumb and just order one of the new colors, but I badly want to hold out for my "perfect color combination" too.

Not sure if I'm going against any forum etiquette by having 2 consecutive posts in the same thread, if I am, sorry!

But I have to ask, is there any error in the color selection for the Cafe Bags?
    I saw the return of Storm to the present selection (excited!) for the Medium Cafe bags, but I also looked more carefully and realized French Blue isn't in the selection.
    Hopped over to the Large Cafe bags for a look, and both Storm and French Blue are available.
    Over in the Small Cafe bag page, no Storm option
    So is this a mixed up? If Storm is truly available again, may I ask if the Small cafe bags will be made in that fabric?

Not sure if I'm going against any forum etiquette by having 2 consecutive posts in the same thread, if I am, sorry!

But I have to ask, is there any error in the color selection for the Cafe Bags?
    I saw the return of Storm to the present selection (excited!) for the Medium Cafe bags, but I also looked more carefully and realized French Blue isn't in the selection.
    Hopped over to the Large Cafe bags for a look, and both Storm and French Blue are available.
    Over in the Small Cafe bag page, no Storm option
    So is this a mixed up? If Storm is truly available again, may I ask if the Small cafe bags will be made in that fabric?
    @icebeng, you got yourself "the" SCB?
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Like New: Solar CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

Hmmm, I didn't post the answer I got in this thread, not that it's still useful, but no there weren't any errors in the selection at that time.

@weirdguy
    Nope, I have an all Steel Parapack SCB, and unless they make a Storm/(Steel or Navy), French Blue/Steel or Linen/Steel, I'm not going to get another SCB. I have to draw the line somewhere! lol

Are you tempted to get one?

@icebeng, Yup, I was tempted when I saw the option Dyneema/Solar. But that option is only available for MCB/LCB.
    No dyneema for SCB.

Initially, I don't really like the overall design of Cafe Bag especially the Clip. I felt "Teenage" to carry a Cafe Bag.
    But after giving it a deeper thought of how a Small Cafe Bag could complement and especially the color option Dyneema/Solar. I gave myself a further a chance to search deeper.

Another reason is I kinda really like the CP - its small size messenger bag - relate to a SCB.

Anyway, how you find your SCB? How often you use it?

Pretty frequently, I'm using it for work, so it's usually nestled in either my Steel Parapack S19 or Steel Dyneema Pilot. When I need to move around, but don't need to move my main bag, that's where it comes in.

What do you plan to carry? The CP can hold a lot more than a SCB, and is more organized.
    Last edited by icebeng; 07-28-2014 at 08:06 AM.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Another reason is I kinda really like the CP - its small size messenger bag - relate to a SCB.
    Sorry to butt in >__< If you like the size of the CP, you may want to try a MCB. Any reason you'd rather have a SCB?

But yeah, not gonna lie, the cafe bags can look kind of kiddy. They are especially kiddy-looking in dyneema, IMO. That's fine with me, since I'm a teenager at heart who's in denial about growing up... but if you've embraced adulthood, you may want to try something a bit more sedate, like Black, Steel, etc. (Cordura, of course!).

Pretty frequently, I'm using it for work, so it's usually nestled in either my Steel Parapack S19 or Steel Dyneema Pilot. When I need to move around, but don't need to move my main bag, that's where it comes in.

What do you plan to carry? The CP can hold a lot more than a SCB, and is more organized.
    I use mine in pretty much the same way, but sometimes I sling it across my S19/25. You may want to consider pouches for the cafe bag... I have found them very helpful.

FWIW, I think the main advantage the cafe bags have over a CP is weight. Cafe bags are very light. More so if you choose one without Cordura. Though if you are thinking of getting a dyneema CP sometime down the round, I have no info on how that stacks up against a SCB or MCB weight-wise 'cus mine is ballistic.

Lol!
    This is a forum, there's no such thing as butting in! All inputs are helpful!

When I'm not at work, my go to bag would be the MCB too, I find the size much better for what I want to carry, and I do like having leftover space, makes it easier to stuff small things I bought in.

Another thing to consider is that the CP is all zippered up, you need to open zips to get to whatever you want. This works well for my mom, who prefers the security it offers. Incidentally, my mom's first reaction upon receiving the CP was "Isn't this too trendy for an old lady like me?" lol

You can get to the contents of a MCB faster, provide it's not lost in the depths.

Thanks @icebeng and @adalangdon for your valuable input. Any extra input is very welcome ^_^

Haha, @adalangdon - you sounded like my wife. I repeatedly remind her of our age but she just brush off and stated "Ya meh? I thought I just had my 20s early Birthday, jokingly :I shook my head helplessly:"
    Thanks for the tip. Indeed Dyneema look for "young" then solid Cordura.

Well, I love to have a CP due to its smaller size than Pilot, while also being quite organize without so much to use Organizer Pouches.
    Since I am getting my Pilot soon, I kinda not wish to spend another over USD100 to get a smaller bag. Hence, SCB is a better option - affordable, compact.

Similar to my coming-soon Pilot, I don't intend to use for work - mostly for leisure, shopping, outdoor activities, traveling. Everything except work.

I intend to have SCB or CP to hold Wallets, Phones, Power Banks & Short Cables, Small Water Bottle and empty TT. That's pretty much.
    Haha. I may as well just get Small Shop Bag for such purpose (just popped up in my head). Though I prefer to carry in sling mode.

Guys (& Ladies), what you think? Navy/Navy or Olive420d/Olive?
    I kinda wish to have a Navy420d/Navy. What you all think for a Small Cafe Bag?

I'm planning to do an experiment to hook the SCB up with my Vertical Brain Cell (through SCB's 2 Inner O-Ring; I'm gonna put Lower Module Pocket on hold), shall I got a SCB in the end.
    Pray hard that I won't change my mind again.

UPDATE: Or, should I go for a brighter Kelly or French Blue? Would it make me more kiddy?
    Last edited by weirdguy; 08-04-2014 at 03:28 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0