Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Someone please tell me I need to buy a Tri-Star!

Someone please tell me I need to buy a Tri-Star!

Ok, so for about a month now I have been *this* close to buying a Tri-Star to add to my TB luggage stable. I hesitate because, well, it's not cheap. And I'm also not sure I'll be able to pack it for a week. My main issue is that I am not, ahem, small, and my clothes take up more space than an average-sized woman. I'm really good at packing the Aeronaut for a week, and usually have a fair amount of room left, often enough to fit my Co-Pilot. With the Aeronaut though, my stuff, even in packing cubes, slides around. I like the firmer look of the Tri-Star, plus the organization, even though it holds much less (or does it?). Also, if things continue the way they've been going, I will be doing several more 5-6 day trips this year. I've traveled every month since November and on each trip have thought about how a Tri-Star would work for me.

My packing skills are pretty good in that I am able to easily coordinate outfits around black, purple, and tan. For instance, I am heading to Nashville next weekend for an 8-day trip and here's my packing list so far:

To wear on the plane (probably around 35 degrees in NJ, 60 in TN):

To pack (right now, in an Aeronaut):

• lightweight khaki pants
    • black LL Bean Perfect Fit pants (double for when I want to do yoga)
    • 3/4 navy cotton button shirt
    • 3/4 aqua cotton button shirt
    • lightweight B&W semi-nice blouse for a luncheon I'm attending (this pairs with the Perfect Fit pants nicely)
    • NY Yankees short sleeved polo (this is a baseball related trip; can't leave this out!)
    • sleep t-shirt (or 2, 1 for yoga) and shorts
    • undies, socks (4-5 pr each; I can do laundry because I'm staying with family)
    • tan Keen Mercer Lace CNX shoes - these are great for travel because they're slip-on and pack almost flat
    • 3D Clear organizer (311) for liquids
    • Clear Quarter Packing Cube for the rest of toiletry items

In a personal item (most likely either my Nordic or Black/Iberian Co-Pilot):

• iPhone 5S
    • iPad Mini (although I'll probably be upgrading to an Air this week; a shout out to my awesome accountant)
    • Kindle Paperwhite
    • 3D Fabric Organizer Cube with chargers and headphones
    • Passport in RFID-blocking Passport Pouch
    • Clear Organizer Wallet
    • eyeglasses & sunglasses
    • protein bar

So your task, fellow forum members, is to convince me to click "Checkout" on the shopping basket that contains a Tri-Star!

This sounds like a very reasonable fit for a Tri-Star. In fact, if you're planning to carry the personal item separately, I think you might have room to spare. The Tri-Star holds an awful lot, and men's clothes are (generally) bulkier than women's. I think it'll fit fine. (And if, for some shocking reason, it doesn't, you could always send it back, right?) Do it! Do it now!

I should mention, as a reference, what was in my Tri-Star on my last 8 day trip. I'm not a huge guy, but again, my clothes tend to be MUCH bulkier than my wife's.

Back compartment: large packing cube containing: 2 pairs of (Eddie Bauer Travex) pants, 4 button-down short sleeve shirts, 4 button-down long sleeve shirts.

Middle compartment: Travel tray with chargers, etc., Tilly hat, tweed jacket (folded), and LOTS of empty space.

Front compartment:
    Larger "half": medium packing cube with 8-9 pair of underwear (mostly boxers, but some boxer-briefs. This was kinda bulky.), 9 pair of socks (I think it was 4 pair of not-light wool socks and 5 pair of cotton socks).
    Smaller "half": Panasonic GH1 ILC camera (i.e. slightly smaller than DSLR, but not much) in a size Small Crumpler Haven, well-padded sling strap, clear 3D packing cube with toiletries.

This all fit pretty easily, so you can use it as a reference.... I think your list will fit with no problem. (You might even be able to put the Co-Pilot in the middle section?

The key to packing the Tri-Star from what I've found so far- flat is very very good.

My finger is inching closer to clicking "Checkout".....almost there......

You need a Tristar and don't forget the Packing Cubes, Backpack ones are the best!

But regular are fine too, if you don't need to color code everything.

Definitely doable, I am plus size and one Packing Cube for tops and another for bottoms as well as Travel Stuff Sacks for the foundation garments and you are all set.

This is too much for an Aeronaute, the Tristar is a much better fit.

PS: Don't forget to take a sun hat for your destination.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-21-2014 at 10:00 AM.

Volunteer Moderator
    @nukediver The one item you might want to check on is shoe size, because it's easiest to pack these into the Tri-Star with the long dimension upright, while in the Aeronaut you'd probably be using the longer end pockets. I'm not sure where the size point is where this gets difficult -- maybe size 12? I know that Men's 10 1/2 shoes can be accommodated. I pretty much switched over from the Aeronaut to using the TriStar when that bag came out, but the Aeronaut can carry a lot more. And, if you really need to put a single oddly shaped and humongous object into your bag, that's possible with the Aeronaut as it isn't with most other bags. If you don't have this last requirement, and are not carrying your Aeronaut full, then I think the Tri-Star should work just fine for you.
    Last edited by moriond; 03-21-2014 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Typo correction

Hi hi with all this bag-addicted around here you did not hope for someone to talk you out of it, did you?

If it is not a budged-problem go for it. I admire that bag for some while now too, but I have the aeronout and as I think it does well even when not packed fully I can not (so I am trieng hard!) justify the purchase of the Tri-Star.

Ilkyway

As Ilkyway says, if budget isn't an issue, I'd go for it. I bought my Tri-Star specifically for a 6-day trip to the US in July, and though I'm fairly petite, I tend to pack plenty of changes of clothes for summer trips (this one is as much business as pleasure, so I need to look smart most of the day).

I reckon I should do a practice pack, though, to see just how much I can get in it!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Tri-Star is amazing... my favorite bag. Just got it recently and will replace Aeronaut or Red Oxx Airboss (now sold on eBay). I travel for week long business trips and it will easily hold a weeks worth of clothes including two business suits (I wear a 46 long so my suits are not small). With proper folding of suit jackets and use of an Eagle Creek 18" folder nothing gets wrinkle either.

Do. It. Now.

Seriously. I'll share my best rationalizations with you: I am the type of person who needs to feel, see, pack, handle the item I'm interested in. I don't always keep the product in question. But usually if I have something (the TB item) in hand, I don't dither. I know right away if I love it/if it'll work for me. Worst case scenario you have to send it back. For me, the $8-10 needed to pay return shipping is worth it in exchange knowing for certain whether or not the TB item in question is a good fit for me. To sum up rationalization #1: you can always return it.

Rationalization #2 you can always sell it or swap it if you realize down the road that it's not the best fit for you. As I'm sure you've noticed, TB products retain their value.

Rationalization #3 past experience. By this I mean there have been times when I was on the fence about getting something (ie: a Cadet in Navy for my hubs)...and it went out of stock for several months and then the color options or styling options had changed and I missed my opportunity (like the Navy Cadet ). Recently I'd been on the fence about getting a rolling luggage handle style WF in Aubergine. I nearly talked myself out of it: the cost! do I really need another TB bag! etc. At about this same time, Tamnica posted beautiful pics of the exact same WF I'd been dithering about. I chose to take it as a sign and I took the plunge. I told myself, I can always return it if once I get it it seems foolish/spendy/not a good fit. I did it. I LOVE it. It's been the perfect bag. A few days or maybe a couple of weeks after I ordered it, nearly all of the WFs went out of stock and the rolling luggage handle style is going to be available in very limited colors. So so glad I ordered it when I did.

So, do it and, of course, post some pics

--oh and anyone else needing my rationalizations, feel free to borrow

Volunteer Moderator
    To add to Tlactme's excellent points, especially #3, may I remind you of your Aaaaaarrrgh!! I missed out on the bag I wanted!! thread with respect to the Smart Alec in Nordic? Do it now while you can get the bag that you want.
    Last edited by moriond; 03-21-2014 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Added link

I will also add to the enabler wagon: I just picked up an used tristar in my favorite color (steel) and it's awesomeness surpassed expectations. I'm planning it's inaugural run for an upcoming trip to Berlin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jeff A likes this.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Quote Originally Posted by Tlacltme View Post
    --oh and anyone else needing my rationalizations, feel free to borrow
    Advice for budget issues? Haha! My only TB bags are a Synapse 25 and Co-Pilot (plus my girlfriend's Co-Pilot I bought her). I'm in desperate need of a TB Travel Bag, namely the Tri-Star. Hopefully someday I'll have the cash scraped together. I know it will be with me a lifetime
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I will also add to the enabler wagon: I just picked up an used tristar in my favorite color (steel) and it's awesomeness surpassed expectations. I'm planning it's inaugural run for an upcoming trip to Berlin.

What is the interior? The Steel/Ultraviolet is calling to me, LOL!
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

It's solar. I really like it as a lining color, although I haven't swooned over solar as a standalone bag. Really the solar and steel together is fantastic! Trust the Crew on their color pairings!

Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast