Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Someone please tell me I need to buy a Tri-Star!

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    It's solar. I really like it as a lining color, although I haven't swooned over solar as a standalone bag. Really the solar and steel together is fantastic! Trust the Crew on their color pairings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steel/Solar isn't an option these days. It's kind of fun seeing what colors are available, which ones are retired, etc. My concern with Solar would be having a very bright bag interior, haha! I have not seen Solar in person yet.
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Thank you for all the excellent advice and encouragement - I just placed my order for a Navy/Iberian Tri-Star! Oh, and some packing cubes. And a backordered Side Effect in Nordic, to go with that Nordic Smart Alec I thought I missed out on. Now, off to see what I can sell to offset this purchase! Perhaps my Forest/UV Aeronaut?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
    What is the interior? The Steel/Ultraviolet is calling to me, LOL!
    I can vouch for the handsomeness of the Steel/UV
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

There, all better now.

You'll love it, you're worth it and you deserve it.

All kidding aside. I love my TS. I can easily pack for ten days in it. If I planned better two weeks wouldn't be a problem.

Now, take a break, TBAS will set in soon but you'll be ok, I promise.
    Moose
    nukediver and RDR3 like this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Now, take a break, TBAS will set in soon but you'll be ok, I promise.
    Moose
    I spun indecisively too long and paid for expedited shipping so I'd have it in time for next weekend's trip. I figure the TBAS won't be quite so bad, knowing that it should arrive in less time!

Congrats, nukediver! This thread almost convinced even ME that I need a Tri-Star . Seriously, though, my business travel is of short enough duration that the WF is perfect and my fun travel is usually long enough to need the Aeronaut -- both of which I have and love. So I can...just barely...resist the Tri-Star...for now. If it is offered in Nordic/Solar, however, all bets would be off!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Taminca,
    Oh no, you definitely need a TS. Later this year I'm sure you'll have several trips for which the WF and Aeronaut just won't work.
    Last edited by Moose; 03-22-2014 at 03:26 AM.
    taminca likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Taminca,
    Oh no, you definitely need a TS. Later this year I'm sure you'll have several trips for which the WF and Aeronautics just won't work.
    Oh, Moose, you enabler, you! Tell you what... Nordic/Solar or Forest/Wasabi (even Forest/Steel) and you'll get your enabler points
    -- David Whyte

Taminca, I had that nordic/solar Tristar in my house, in my hands sometime in January.....but I returned it because I decided that I'm not really a Tristar kinda gal, more an Aeronaut Jr. Kinda gal. But, I have to say that I am SHOCKED, just SHOCKED that you don't own one!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    I am SHOCKED, just SHOCKED that you don't own one!
    Am holding out for a Forest TS to match the gorgeous Imago I acquired from you, monkeylady!

Actually....this thread got me to thinking that IF I were to own a TS, I would want one with the old zipper style (reversed-sewn, black-tabbed) and all future ones TB makes will have the new style. So I emailed the TB folks, asking if there were any left in stock with the old zipper style; if so, I may very well take the plunge and at least try it out. Such Enablers on this Forum!!!
    -- David Whyte

Hmm... Beau responded to my email that both the Navy/Wasabi and Navy/Solar TS are available with the old zipper style. Now if only I can decide on a color combo. My Wasabi-love knows no bounds...but Navy/Solar is such a great combo (especially for this Cal Berkeley grad!).
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Hmm... Now if only I can decide on a color combo. My Wasabi-love knows no bounds...but Navy/Solar is such a great combo (especially for this Cal Berkeley grad!).
    But then you'd have to outfit yourself with all these lovely solar bits and bobs...I know, there are worse addictions....I keep telling myself, anyway.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I'm a bit late to the party but I love the tristar. I bought a western flyer but returned it as the tristar is far more flexible for me. The center is so versatile I find it hard to justify owning the smaller bag. I am in MN, so I either don't use the center, use it to protect my tech or, in the winter, use it for my highly packable Eddie Bauer Igniter, hat and gloves. I would find it hard not to recommend a WF to a female but as a 6ft male I found the WF looked a bit too petite as a back pack for my liking. I love that I'll be able to stuff an under filled pilot in the center to carry it through the airport, pulling it out as a personal item on the plane (turtles be damned). I also love any bag with a water bottle holder as I carry a water bottle almost as religiously as I carry my phone, wallet, Chapstick and keys.

I also just bought an aeronaut and will probably use it for my upcoming trip to Mexico as I expect the extra capacity might be nice for my 8 year olds souvenirs, but if that weren't a factor I'd be plenty comfy packing for 7 lazy days (no clothes washing) in my TS. I wish I could get my wife to come around, but thus far she is perfectly happy gate checking her wheeled carry on. I'll laugh a little inside the day they make her check it and pay the hated fee. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I can vouch for the handsomeness of the Steel/UV
    I just reviewed the Tri-Star in the same colors. It was posted to Tom's blog a couple of days ago. A great combination.

FWIW, one other use I've found for the Tri-Star is it makes an excellent commuter bag. If I'm heading downtown on the train for work and I have an after work activity then I usually opt for the Tri-Star. I'm able to carry my laptop and other office essentials in addition to a change of clothes. With the backpack straps or using the Tom Bihn Ultimate Strap, it works out much better than a rolling bag.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2