Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: What happened to the synapse 25 in parapack?

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @GoStanford Apart from the color scheme, you might want to consider the differences in the material, and how soft-sided you want the bag to be. In bags like the Imago and the Swift, I prefer the Ballistic Nylon (or 400d Dyneema) to provide some support when carrying contents, while with the Cafe Bags and Little Swift, I'm OK with Cordura molding more. From reading reviews on other sites like Ravelry, my impression is that the Parapack Swifts will slump more than either those made of Cordura or 400d Dyneema (and decidedly more than the Ballistic Swifts), and that the handles will be more slippery for shoulder carry (which isn't an issue for me with bags like the Swift or Little Swift). I know you found the Ballistic Co-Pilot too stiff for your liking, but the feel of the Ballistic Nylon in the Swift, without the rectangular design and seam piping imposing the structure, is different, as well as the feel softening even more with usage over time. This may not be a consideration if you're carrying the bag with organizers or contents that will keep it upright.

HTH. moriond
    Indeed this is very helpful! And I appreciate the personalized recommendations - wow that is thorough! In the end I decided to keep the Aubergine Swift order as I do want a bag that will stand upright by itself as much as possible. I agree that with the open top design or lack of zipper, the stiffness won't be an issue like with the CoPilot. Plus I like purple a lot!
    eWalker likes this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jlchau View Post
    Just received the following response from customer service:
    That's a big part of itů

First, we realized we were getting low on Parapack and we started thinking: if we only have so much of the fabric left, which bags do we want to save it for? And right about that time, we were hearing from some of you that you missed the Cordura options in the Synapses and Brain Bags. All of that (and a couple of other things) prompted us to take another look at those specific bags in Parapack, and we saw what some people meant when they said they liked those bags in Cordura -- they have more body, a little more heft. So, we decided to add the Cordura options back -- and felt like three fabric options were maybe a bit much/kinda confusing, so we chose to narrow the fabric choices down to two. Plus, that saved the remaining parapack for other bags, bags in which it really sings -- The Guide's Pack, Founder's Briefcase, smaller stuff like 3D Cubes, etc. We know some people will miss the Parapack options in the Synapses and Brain Bag (we've been hearing from you guys, too) but, we had a choice to make, and this was what we came up with.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Oh Wow! I'm so glad now that I got my Black Parapack S19... and am regretting returning the Navy Parapack. Ah well...
    eWalker likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    @Darcy Maybe you can update the "Specifications" part of the Synapse Product pages to reflect the Cordura weight options, and remove the Parapack ones -- otherwise this is somewhat confusing.

@taminca On balance, I think there are more regrets with passing something by than keeping Tom Bihn items.
    Darcy and eWalker like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Plus I like purple a lot!
    Well, just wait until you see your new Imago!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    @GoStanford Congrats if you got @monkeylady's Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago; it's a beautiful bag. I wish they could bring these fabrics back into availability.
    eWalker likes this.

@GoStanford Congrats if you got @monkeylady's Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago; it's a beautiful bag. I wish they could bring these fabrics back into availability.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    (grin) I'm excited - and I feel a bit greedy, as not only is the Imago heading my way, but I also stuck with my Aubergine Swift order! Truly glad I started browsing the forums regularly and was able to express my interest in @monkeylady's Imago. For most of the last 10-15 years, I've had a small messenger bag as my work bag, and they work well for me.
    eWalker likes this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    @Darcy Maybe you can update the "Specifications" part of the Synapse Product pages to reflect the Cordura weight options, and remove the Parapack ones -- otherwise this is somewhat confusing.
    Yeah, good point, we'll work on updating that.

In other news… the Brain Bag in 1000d Cordura is up for pre-order (Olive, Navy, Steel, Black and… Plum!)
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Hi, Darcy,

I'm sad to hear this. I hope it is a temporary and not permanent change. I am a fan of the parapack and never imagined it would be available so briefly for the Synapses. I was just getting used to it as a fabric. Do you anticipate being able to resolve the supply problem?

I wanted to eventually get a Synapse 19 in black or grey, so that it would be a more conservative version of my dyneema S19.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    First, we realized we were getting low on Parapack and we started thinking: if we only have so much of the fabric left, which bags do we want to save it for? And right about that time, we were hearing from some of you that you missed the Cordura options in the Synapses and Brain Bags. All of that (and a couple of other things) prompted us to take another look at those specific bags in Parapack, and we saw what some people meant when they said they liked those bags in Cordura -- they have more body, a little more heft. So, we decided to add the Cordura options back -- and felt like three fabric options were maybe a bit much/kinda confusing, so we chose to narrow the fabric choices down to two. Plus, that saved the remaining parapack for other bags, bags in which it really sings -- The Guide's Pack, Founder's Briefcase, smaller stuff like 3D Cubes, etc. We know some people will miss the Parapack options in the Synapses and Brain Bag (we've been hearing from you guys, too) but, we had a choice to make, and this was what we came up with.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

In other news… the Brain Bag in 1000d Cordura is up for pre-order (Olive, Navy, Steel, Black and… Plum!)
    Could you post pictures of the new Parapack FJN and does that mean that the FJN in Cordura is coming back?
    Last edited by backpack; 03-24-2014 at 06:21 PM.
    eWalker likes this.

Plum - love it!
    SE: b-Steel Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Nordic Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

That's a big part of it…

I really hope you can restore your supply of the parapack, it is such a gorgeous fabric! I love my black parapack 3D cube, it's what I imagine every ninja carries their toothbrush around in! So stealthy! I actually hadn't paid much attention to the brain bag until I saw Maverick's review of it featuring the parapack fabric.

I can see what you mean about the choices being overwhelming to those who don't obsess about bags (can you believe it guys? People actually obsess over every feature and even talk about fabric choices in a forum, weird right?) Joking aside, if anyone backs out of their pre-order for a Black Parapack/Wasabi Synapse25 with the old style zippers I will gladly take their place and consider my lesson learned about not ordering the bag I want while it is available in the color/fabric combination I want!
    Darcy and eWalker like this.

Hi Darcy,

Will the Cordura Brain Bag have the 1050 bottom or is that just for the Para-pack?

mjg
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Hi, Darcy,

I'm sad to hear this. I hope it is a temporary and not permanent change. I am a fan of the parapack and never imagined it would be available so briefly for the Synapses. I was just getting used to it as a fabric. Do you anticipate being able to resolve the supply problem?

I wanted to eventually get a Synapse 19 in black or grey, so that it would be a more conservative version of my dyneema S19.

Beth
    I too am very disappointed about the removal of the parapack option. After spending weeks in limbo and seeking advice from fellow forums members on which material to go with on a Synapse 25, I finally decided on parapack...or so I thought!

Is this a permanent change or should I wait for parapack to make a return??

thanks!
    eWalker likes this.

Parapack S19s are back! I took the plunge and ordered, hopefully it's not an error in the system. *crosses all fingers*
    Didn't see any Parapack options for the S25s though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0