Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Acronyms Guide

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Acronyms Guide

On the Forum, we use a bunch of acronyms for different products or objects. Many thanks to tpnl and others for suggesting that we create a guide to help members (both new and veteran) figure out what everyone is talking about! If you're wondering about one of them, please refer to the list below.

NOTE: some of these acronyms are fairly standard, but others are for new products or have been suggested recently by forum members so they aren't really part of our forum vernacular yet. If we've missed something or you think a different acronym would be more appropriate, let us know and we will update the list periodically.

WELL-ESTABLISHED ACRONYMS

BB - Brain Bag

CP - Co-Pilot

CQPC: Clear Quarter Packing Cube

EB - Empire Builder

FJN - Field Journal Notebook

FOT - Friend Of Tom (forum members)

FS - Freudian Slip
    *variations (less common):
    V (vertical) FS
    H (horizontal) FS

LCB - Large Cafe Bag

LS - Little Swift

MCB - Medium Cafe Bag

OC - Organizer Cube

OP - Organizer Pouch

PCBP - Packing Cube Backpack

PCSB - Packing Cube Shoulder Bag

PLO - Purse-Like Object (credit: dorayme); can refer to any bag that one might use as a purse

S19 / 25 - Synapse 19 / 25

SA - Smart Alec

SC - Snake Charmer

SCB - Small Cafe Bag

SE - Side Effect

TB - TOM BIHN (in reference to bags or the company and not Tom himself)

TS - Tri-Star

TT - Travel Tray

WF - Western Flyer

LESS COMMON or
    RECENTLY SUGGESTED ACRONYMS

A30 / 45 - Aeronaut 30 / 45

AS - Absolute shoulder Strap (yes, yes, ha ha ha; we won't go there, okay?)

BC - Brain Cell
    *variations:
    V (vertical) BC
    H (horizontal) BC

CC - Citizen Canine

CIO - Camera Insert / Outsert

CPF - Checkpoint Flyer

DLBP - Daylight Backpack

FB - Founder's Briefcase

GP - Guide's Pack

GPLP - Guide's Pack Lead's Pocket

GPLP / GPRP - Guide's Pack Left side Pocket / Guide's Pack Right side Pocket

LF - Lifefactory glass bottle

NFTD - Night Flight Travel Duffle

PP - Pocket Pouch

QAM - Quick-Adjust Messenger strap

SB - Shop Bag
    *variations:
    L (large) SB
    S (small) SB

SS - Stuff Sack
    *variations:
    T (travel) SS
    Y (yarn) SS

TLSS - Travel Laundry Stuff Sack
    Last edited by moriond; 06-30-2014 at 08:22 PM.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Oh Darcy, I cannot take credit for PLO. I thought it was backpack actually, but I cannot remember who coined the acronym. Thanks for posting this list. I can figure out the bags I own, obviously by my siggy, but a time a two I have had difficulty with others. This makes it easy!
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP, RiPad, FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, RiPad, SB, LSB

Dangit, I was sure it was you, dorayme! Anyone, can we verify that backpack coined PLO?

moriond? Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Dangit, I was sure it was you, dorayme! Anyone, can we verify that backpack coined PLO?

moriond? Anyone?

I can verify it was Dorayme, because I read it and I said to myself: "that's a mighty clever acronym, it is a perfect description of Tom Bihn accessories that can be used as purses but were not created for that purpose."

I'll always remember my reaction to her first mention of it.

I think it was about the Original Side Effect, Dorayme had done something mighty clever with it, which made it more of something that became a "purse like object."

I do know that I started using PCSB because I found out it was a perfect inner pocket for the Swift and wanted to share with everyone who would listen.
    penny likes this.

Well, the origins of PLO may be relegated to apocryphal status, but from henceforth we shall attribute it to dorayme.

Thanks for clarifying, backpack!

Volunteer Moderator
    Well, the origins of PLO may be relegated to apocryphal status, but from henceforth we shall attribute it to dorayme.

Thanks for clarifying, backpack!
    The earliest reference I can find to "PLO" used as "Purse Like Object" is a post by dorayme dated 01-12-2012 in the thread titled My Tom Bihn Family…erm, Collection, where a number of people posted group pictures of their Tom Bihn bags and accessories.

Midway through the thread, jeffmac posted his "family pic", with the comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    It is just possible that my TB addiction has reached critical mass.

...well...of course...I don't actually own a TB Backpack yet, so...
    and dorayme replied:
    Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    ahem, isn't that a packing cube backpack in Iberian under your F.O.T. and FoJ and other small organizer pouches on the right?

nice collection btw
    [Since you've all read the Acronym Guide, you are aware that F.O.T. stands for "Friend of Tom" -- celebrated in a Blue, UltraSuede pouch. FoJ refers to a limited edition Fourth of July Pouch (Navy Ballistic Nylon with Red Trim) that was produced for orders sent in before the Fourth of July weekend one year.]

Jeffmac responded with a plaintive appeal:
    Dorayme I thought you of all people would help me in that transparent little bit of self-justification!

Really by definition, I guess the Tristar is a backpack as well.

No more bags for Jeff...sigh
    And never one to let a fellow forum member down, dorayme came back with:
    Well, you don't have any dedicated backpacks. You have other bags that just happen to be designed so well that they have backpack options. You need a dedicated backpack to round out your collection, and all around knowledge of various types of bags done TB style
    As a matter of fact, I don't see any totes in your collection, better add a Shop Bag in that backpack order as well!
    To which jeffmac happily replied:
    Now THERE is my TB enabler! Can I put you on the phone with my wife to explain that?
    And dorayme ended with the helpful comment:
    Well for that matter, I see no Swifts or anything that resembles a PLO "Purse Like Object". . . Mrs. jeffmac NEEDS some TB, then she won't feel so bad when you add to the herd! Bear in mind, if you start her down this path, it may have irrecoverable consequences such as her deciding to occasionally borrow some of what used to be previously identified within jeffmac's family pic.
    Those of weak constitution, do not tread here.
    Before this thread, I recall that dorayme still spelled out "purse". Backpack discussed the possible use of many bags in their purse function before this -- and doubtless planted the idea for purse use of the Cafe Bags, Swift and Little Swift, Co-Pilot, and Kit in the minds of many forum readers in her earlier posts. But my recollection is that dorayme took the next step into making this an official forum acronym.

Maybe someone else can find an earlier reference?

Omg how I LOVE research minded people! Perhaps TARDIS should be added to the acronym list. The first known reference to the tardislike qualities of Tom Bihn bags was in a May 2010 review of the Synapse by Femina Geekoides (but she's a girl...). See, I can do it too!

I didn't notice "EDC" (everyday carry) on the list.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 3 Monolith/Brain Cells)
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D Clear & mesh cubes, Passport pouch)
    - - - Small dyneema Shopbag
    - - - - Various TB stuff (organizers, straps, whistles, etc.)

Awesome, guys! Keep the acronyms coming and I will update this list over the weekend.

Moo-over for COW: clear organizer wallet.

Just had another thought looking @dnarud13's list: pocket pouch and passport pouch would have the same acronym.

Thanks Darcy for making this a Sticky thread and for the hillarious comments (ie - AS)! I love the PLO (is there a male verson - ie murse? ). I am impressed with your investigative research work, moriond! Badger, thanks for doing the updates.

One possible edit: the acronym for the Leads Pocket and the Left Side Pocket on the Guide Pack are the same GPLP.
    Perhaps update it to be as follows:

GPLP - Guide's Pack Lead's Pocket

GPLSP / GPRSP - Guide's Pack Left Side Pocket / Guide's Pack Right Side Pocket

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-13-2014 at 08:46 AM.
    eWalker likes this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB (Black/Black/Steel), S25/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

TBA - Tom Bihn Addict
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Good catch, tpnl! I'll be sure to fix that.

@BPritchard, and others: we have another acronym I forgot: TBAS, or TB Acquisition Syndrome. I am wondering about the word "addict" or TB-aholic or some other variation of that. Given that the term "addict" described a serious condition but is sometimes used in a lighthearted way (i.e., chocoholic) gives me a little pause. Is TB Addict something forum users think is appropriate? Maybe I'm overthinking this, and if that's the case, please let me know. I'm just wondering and not criticizing anyone who uses this phrase, by the way.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    I love the PLO (is there a male verson - ie murse? ). I am impressed with your investigative research work, moriond! Badger, thanks for doing the updates.
    I don't think that "murse" is standard usage throughout the forums. Some forum members, like cucciasv, often use "murse", while others tend to use words like "man-bag". If "murse" is used, the poster usually gives a definition. However, with PLO, the abbreviation was popping up frequently enough in posts that I often felt the need to supply a definition. Frankly, Cafe Bags, Ristrettos, and Co-Pilots (among others) are pretty unisex, but here are links to a couple of threads discussing the topic:

On the other hand, earlier posts, such as this Cafe Bag - Initial Reaction and Question thread from 2004, dwelt on the fact: "And it doesn't look like a purse, which was important to me."

@BPritchard, and others: we have another acronym I forgot: TBAS, or TB Anticipation Syndrome.
    I would suggest simply linking to the sticky thread started by ex machine in March 2009 (corrected definition of acronym to match the above, though undoubtedly many might feel that "acquisition" is the more appropriate word) describing the process of waiting for the newly shipped bag order to arrive.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast